interior cabinets come open while on the road

fordtech 2008

anyone have any idea on how to keep the cabinet doors closed while moving,had one come open last weekend and our brand new crock pot that was used once fell out and broke.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Velcro on the back of the cabinet doors and drawers. Keeps ours closed. Even the closet door.

SmokeyBare

I use hair ties on every set of cabinet doors where two door knobs are side by side. The Hair Ties are stretchy round things, make sure to get a heavier type. We wrap them on both the upper and lower cabinets before we move our Bighorn.

I so a twist on them when I place them over the knobs, sort of making a figure "8" on the kitchen cabinet knobs. I have also use a sheet of plastic in front of tall bottles of cooking items such as syrup or cooking oil. The plastic is wider than the door face opening and tall enough to cover over half the height of the opening. Placed in front of the tall bottles, it helps to keep then from falling over.

Marv

Jburks

We use the child proof latches that you can get Lowe's, Home depot or even Wally World, we had doors come open and did not notice until the slide out explained it to us, just pulled hinges out , was an easy repair.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We use the ponytail ties and velco. This is some sage advise....NEVER..EVER.. put anything heavy in an upper cabinet. On our last trip on some very nice California roads, the glass plate for the microwave moved and broke the glass in the 1/2 time oven door$$$ The plate is now removed before the BH moves. We have very little glass in the BH at all....it's all plastic stuff.

Always remember.....your house doesn't take corners at 30MPH.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yes - we had cabinet doors opening and drawers open as well. You know the big rubber bands that come when ya buy a shirt/cap combo? Works great banding the knobs. For the drawers in the kitchen that insist on sliding open during travel - I went to wallyworld and bought a small spring loaded rod and just slide it down the handles of the drawers. Works great also.

lew2885

anyone have any idea on how to keep the cabinet doors closed while moving,had one come open last weekend and our brand new crock pot that was used once fell out and broke.
First of all, don't put anything heavy in the upper cabinets. Then if the latch isn't tight, consider replacing the part installed in the cabinet, not on the door. We've only had one door come open (the one above the chair in the rear of the unit) and that's because I put something heavier than paper or yarn in the compartment. Appliances I store in bottom cabinets, and then on the side, rather than the front or back (which is more likely to move when stopping and starting). Sorry about the crockpot. Consider a GE slow cooker that has a metal "bowl" and weighs much less. Plus it won't break. Happy trails.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We use the ponytail ties and velco. This is some sage advise....NEVER..EVER.. put anything heavy in an upper cabinet. On our last trip on some very nice California roads, the glass plate for the microwave moved and broke the glass in the 1/2 time oven door$$$ The plate is now removed before the BH moves. We have very little glass in the BH at all....it's all plastic stuff.

Always remember.....your house doesn't take corners at 30MPH.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but DW puts a small hand towel under the glass plate in the microwave and then uses an empty paper towel roll cut to size to hold the plate in place. So far in several 5ers and many miles it has traveled well.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
My wife uses a coffee filter between glass bowls to cushion them. It has worked well so far.

traveler44

We use the loop and knob elastic cords to keep the doors from coming completely open and the rubber mesh shelf liner stuff to keep things from sliding. We carry most of the stuff, that normally sets on the kitchen countertop, in the dish drainer on top of this rubber mesh toward the back of the countertop and have never had it slide off. Like somebody said keep most of your heavy objects in the lower cabinets. Tom M.