RM1350 cooling (NOT)

gldisc

Here's hoping someone has a solution.
We purchased our Landmark Augusta in May 08. We love the looks of the coach thats what sold us on the unit. We full time in the unit. In November of 08 we noticed that the unit would start showing a higher temperature on the read out at the end of the day. We attributed this to sun shining on the slide out all afternoon long. In the morning the temp would be back down to the setting we had it set at. By Dec 31 0f 08 the temperature had climbed to 56 degrees and would only cool back down 2 to 4 degrees at night. I called the dealer where we purchased the coach and made an appointment to take it in for service. After an extended period of time the dealer could not duplicate the problem. It took another 11 month's to finally get the problem resolved. The unit was replaced under warranty in Dec 2009. Now its Nov 2010 and the new unit is doing the same thing. The manufacture of the ref. says its the manufactures problem and the manufacture says its the refrigerator's manufactures problem. All i know is the unit is not working and it appears that I am going to be out a lot of money. So my question is has anyone else had this problem? We are so frustrated over this whole matter.

George L.
2002 350 DRW
2009 Augusta

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
George, yes there have been a couple of problem refers. I did a search on the forum and came up with THESE.
You might find some useful information there. Good luck in getting your problem solved. Fans, baffles and insulation seem to help some.
We have the RM1350 and have no problems.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

easy fix is to move north :)... We hot-wired the vent fans to run 24/7 and ran the unit on propane, and it stayed in the mid-upper 30's for 10 weeks during a South TX summer, daily temps were at 105*F.

DougAndJudy

Be sure to check the flap on the left lower door. Our temps would act just like yours because the flap would not snap around completely to make a tight seal with the right door. You can check this while the doors are closed by feeling for cold air escaping between the doors. We are now diligent about manually ensuring that the flap is fully in place. I think the flap hinges get sticky after time.

2010augusta

To mirror Doug and Judy, I had to use a 3lbs sledge and a block of wood to correct the lower pivot point and make the flap work properly.

sdagro

come on over to the "bighorn" section, then look under appliances and join the fun!

DITTO to Kenny. I've got refer posts everywhere. Bought my Bighorn 3670 in April '10 and on my 3rd refer. Working a little better since it is winter but still spikes occasionally. No reason temps should vary when it is colder outside than in fridge. Also found that out of the 3 refers none of the digital readouts are correct. I have put 2/3 digital probes in it and can never get the "MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD"temps that the display reads. I was told from Dometic it was an install problem. Heartland tells me they are installed to Dometics specs. I guess you can say they have given it a half hearted effort because last time I was at dealer I saw a couple of new models with the baffle installed from factory. I know I am a broken record but it makes me feel better to vent. Love my BIGHORN but HATE my DOMETIC!!! Enough said. Thank you. Steve A. Dagro