Hot Water Odor

5erWonk

I am told by DW that our hot water stinks (fortunately I can't smell anything). I drained the hot water heater and it seems to have improved. I did notice quite a lot of sediment in the bottom of the heater tank, anybody have an idea how to flush this sediment?

I'm wondering if this accumulation may be causing the odor.

RoadJunkie

Does it stink like something familiar, or is the odor unique? As far as flushing the water heater, one time I forgot to release the pressure prior to draining and got a splatter of residual minerals that I have never seen since, so I assume it did a sort of pressure flush. But I have heard of others taking something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/water-tank-fillers/594 and back flushing the water heater.

Northern Virginia
If it's only the hot water I would remove the anode rod and flush it out. Probably would be a good idea to have a new anode rod at the ready to put back in. I be the old one is pretty shot,

Good luck,
John

noobee

Does it stink like something familiar, or is the odor unique? As far as flushing the water heater, one time I forgot to release the pressure prior to draining and got a splatter of residual minerals that I have never seen since, so I assume it did a sort of pressure flush. But I have heard of others taking something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/water-tank-fillers/594 and back flushing the water heater.

The above is not the correct cleaning tool. This is the tool: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/water-heater-tank-rinser/49070

CS

davebennington

We had a similar problem after flushing the heater out it still smelled. The final solution was to pull the heating element I found that it had a bad spot on it, kinda like a bubble on it. The water heater still heated the water but when I changed the element the smell was gone. Just a suggestion.

dave

lwmcguir

Any minerals in the water will come out when you heat the water up to 200 F or so. The magnesium anode will sacrifice as it is intended to do with use. The smell can easily be from a partially consumed anode. If you have much sulfur in the water, the combination can be quite smelly when heated.

Most of the minerals that you see as sediment are Calcium, Carbonate, and Magnesium. Some Mag from the water and some from the Anode.

Flush the heater, change the anode and if you can use water with less mineral content.

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
Has the water been sitting in the water heater for several months? If yes, there is your problem. Do a google search on your situation and you will find out a lot of into. Flushing it out a lot and keeping it flushed out will fix it.

Boca_Shuffles

There are two kinds of anode rods: magnesium and aluminum. The magnesium rod has a bump on the end of the rod and the aluminum is flat.

We noticed a change in the smell of the water in our stick house when we changed the aluminum anode in the house water heater with a magnesium rod.

You should try to find an aluminum and see is this helps. An anode costs about $15 - $20.

Uncle Rog

The better anodes are worth the money.
When removing to change out or flush the tank, make sure the water is cool and open a hot faucet.
There can be some pressure and the rod can come out with some "authority".