Generator exhaust in the RV activates CO monitor

We boondocked in our 2011 Cyclone 3950 for the first time, two week ends ago. It was around 35 degrees at night, so we ran the generator so that we could leave the heater on all night. We woke up, in the middle of the night, to the CO alarm and exhaust smell inside the RV. We shut down the generator and opened windows to ventilate.....cold night that night in the RV. The wind was dead calm.

Have we broken some unspoken rule (new to rving) by running the generator at night? We repeated the process a couple of times the next day....more CO alarm activation with the associated exhaust smell. The next night, knowing we would ruin our sewer hose, we fashioned an exhaust extension with the end about 20' from the trailer. Same results.

Has anyone had this experience? The exhaust smell is strongest when standing next to the vent in the wall in the kitchen. Doors, windows and vents were closed. Cargo bays and hatches were closed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The first experience made me light headed and my wife sick at her stomach....don't want any more chances of that.

Thanks,

jimtoo

Hi wandaandwoodie,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I don't think you have broken any rules, but I have heard of others getting the smell and alarm going off. I have never liked the idea of a generator being exhausted right under where your sleeping. I would check into this exhaust extension. Gets it above the trailer.

Enjoy the forum and be careful camping.

Jim M

Northern Virginia
Sounds like to me, you may a a leak in the exhaust pipe where it is connected to the muffler. I have use my generator a lot and have never had the CO alarm go off. I would get it checked immediately.

It would be really easy for the clamp to vibrate loose and for you to get a leak where the pipe attached to the muffler. It wouldn't be hard to check to see if all the connections are tight on the generator exhaust side.

I would not use the generator again (unless testing for leaks) and especially when sleeping until you find and fix the problem.

John

SKnight

I agree, there's something amiss in your exhaust management either by design or some failure. I'd check everything over including the area where you can smell it strongest inside, there could be a seal problem instead of a generator problem.

Either way in the end I'd still get the gen turi mentioned above. That's a great addition no matter what.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I could be wrong (been know to happen), but isn't the furnace using just propane and the 12V fan? If so, I'd install a second house battery. That should give you plenty of 12V power to make it through the night. Then you could charge the battery with the generator during the next day. Still need to get the exhaust issue corrected, but you wouldn't be sleeping with the possibility of exhaust fumes coming in.

Jim, John, SKnight and Gus: Thanks for the responses so far!! Yep, we didn't run the gen while asleep after the first incident. Looking at installing "Lifeline" AGM batteries for future addition of solar power (but, subject of another post) and will solve the need for the gen overnight at least. Still a pretty good nuisance during the day (dangerous too!). I will check exhaust continuity more closely.

The corrugated underbelly cover has a lot of breaches (gaps) around the perimeter. I was wondering if the exhaust gets into the underbelly and through the louvered vent in the kitchen wall.?.? Seems like that vent draws from the "enclosed" underbelly..... on purpose? Where does the make-up air come from? Just wondering what the designers intended.

Thanks again!