slider or not?

Louba

I haven't previously owned a fifth wheel but I have a '09 3400RE that I'm interested in for a very good price. Since I don't have a hitch yet I thought I'd ask those of you with short bed trucks how the Bighorn front cap design works for you. Did most of you get get a slider anyway? How often is it really an issue...meaning do you even need an 88 degree turn very often? ...and while I'm at it, what hitch features should I look for. I don't want to pay for the best hitch out there but I don't want to get one I'm not satisfied with either. Thanks for any comments.

Lou

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lou, I had a 3400RL. In the three years we owned it I have never had the need for a slider.
There are some owners that feel the need for one, just in case.
As far as hitch features, just be sure you get one that is rated to tow your load.
I have a Curt Q5, 20K. Works for me.
Hope to see that you have joined the Heartland family.

Peace
Dave

Gaffer

I is possible to make contact between the trailer and the cab on a short box truck. I saw a Ford with body damage where the Cyclone hit it after a sharp u-turn. They were at the rally in southern California in October.

lwmcguir

If you turn sharp enough to require a slider you better be on gravel.

Great way to bend your spring hangers, equalizers, or even an axle.

K

karykatz

We use short bed trucks at the plant with a conventional hitch. I personally have been in very tight situations and never had an issue. I wouldn't spend the extra money. Hope this helps.

hillsonwheels

When we bought our 3400 RL we were set up to get a Reese 16k nonslider from Dan's in Elkhart. Capital RV Systems said they offered a Curt for same money on site. We went away while they did their thing. Came back to find a Curt 20K slider installed on truck. I figured I had been set up and a request for mo' money was incoming. Quick explanation was that "engineering" would not let them install a nonslider on my short box Chevy. Their call, so no extra $ were asked of me.

Long story short.........other than just to experiment with the slide in the maneuver position........I've never had to use it in the rearmost position in three years.

Happy Campin' and keep smilin'

Dick

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
PJ, the bent Ford and Cyclone had turned WAY MORE than 90*. He was on a 2 lane road and tried to turn around. Thats what the kids Dad told me...he was not a happy camper.

In 3 years I have never needed the slider hitch I have and I turn more than 90* in our cul-d-sac to turn around. One thing to remember, a slider will have some play in it. They can make noise starting and stopping.

I wish I could trade my Husky 16K slider for a non slider. I really don't need it now with a long box.

porthole

Retired
Bob - Pullrites don't shake rattle or roll.
They are an excellent auto slide for those that need it.

As to the Cyclone mentioned above, Cyclones are 5" wider then regular 5th wheels.
I absolutely could not get by without the slide. If nothing else the slope - angle of attack getting into my driveway is in issue.

One thing for the original poster to consider.
With most of today's trucks you can't get into trouble unless you are backing or jack knifing the trailer.

Last edited:

Gaffer

I didn't realize that the Cyclones were wider. That makes a hugh difference. By the way Bob how did the puppy make out passing that bone it swallowed?

PUG

Pug
I had an 02 Chev 3/ 4 Ext Cab short box and now have an 09 ram 1 ton Dually Mega short box. I have pulled my 09
Cyclone 3950 for three years. I have had it in some places I shouldn't of had but have not hit the cab and I have had it clear up to 90 degrees. If you keep cranking it around of course you could hit the cab. I mounted my Reese 20k non slider directly over the axle on the Chev and 1 1/2 inches rear of the axle on the Ram as the Ram has a slightly shorter box, axle to back of cab. My Reese will adj up and down but not frt to rear. I have seen some that are adjustable front to back (bolts) that you could adj if needed. Those may be handy. Sliders would be nice (although really not needed for Cyclones) but they are expensive and needed by other trailers that don't have a front end and hitch setup like a Cyclone.

GOTTOYS

I have a Super Glide auto slide in our Dodge. I bought it before we got a fiver thinking we would get a used one and would probably need it. There was very little price difference buying it online. Dodges have the shortest bed of all the "std." (formerly short-box) trucks but I still probably don't need it....Don

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
PJ, the pup is fine...never saw the bone leave. But it's daily chore to clean up all the doggy doodoo. That part of her is working as designed. She has now learned to sit, shake, lay down..........and most important ...GET THE KITTY (poor kitty).