Just Looked At Big Horn For 1st Time

Big Horn 06

All I can say is WOW, for the price imo, you can't beat the quality. Now, since I really don't have much faith in sales people, is it true that I WILL NOT have to get a slider hitch to tow this thing since I have a SHORT BED truck?? That goes against what my Dad has told me (a current full time rv'er) I'm pretty much sold if it's true! The model I liked was the 2955RL.

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Welcome to the forum Big Horn 06, All the Heartland products look to be excellent values. As for not needing a slider hitch I understand that is because of a patented front cap that Heartland uses but maybe someone with first hand knowledge will post soon. Below is a link from Heartlands web site that may interest you.
http://www.heartlandrvs.com/downloads/TurnRad1.pdf

Don

Last edited:

vangoes

Slider not needed

I have a BH 3055 and I like you, was skeptical of the claim of not needing a slider hitch. I went against the statement and purchased a slider anyway and guess what.......I was wrong. To present I have not come anywhere close to needing the slider. I can even back into my drive way from a narrow street (a 90 degree turn) without putting the slider back. However, it is comforting to know that it is there if I ever do get into a situation that I "may" need it.

sislv

Tom & Sharol
Slider Hitch ?

We have a BH 3055RL also and do not have nor need a slider hitch. We have a Reese 16K non-slider hitch that also tilts side to side which is handy when you are uneven ground. Our tow vehicle is an Extended Cab with a short box.

tdharley

Not needed

I too had a Pullrite Slider & found it not to be needed. As a matter of fact it was down right inconvienent. It does not unhitch at more than a 18 degree angle & needed a special adaptor to use in case of emnergency on another tow vehicles.

By the way I had a 2004 Ford short bed.

christianson

Ford super duty short bed is longer than gm or dodge so you might want to check first I pulled with a super duty ford before I got my bighorn and had no trouble but you have to be aware that you can not go 90 degres with out hitting corner of cab.

Big Horn 06

Ok, I'm convinced. I have a friend that will give me a brand new 5th wheel hitch (Reese 16k if I recall) Now, I see that for 2007, there's no 2955 model :confused: anymore. More shopping now, but I really like the quality and attention to detail. As for the bed length, isn't GM and Ford a true 6.5' ? Mine is a 6.3' bed.

J

Jim_1899

One of the reason that I liked the Bighorn was the new design for the turning with a shortbed truck. I have a 2005 Ford Lariet F350 Crew Cab with a shortbed. I have never been restricted on a sharp turn backing into a spot yet.

The Bighorn RV's are awesome.

dra

Big Horn 06. I have a 3055RL and tow with a 2003 Dodge Quad Cab Short Bed and have had no problems with turning radius. I have had numerous other problems with my brand new Big Horn which I have posted in the exterior section of this forum. Check the exterior walls with the slides in to make sure they are straight and also run the slides in and out several times to make sure that they operate normally without unusual metal to metal noise. Look the rig over very carefully before purchasing. I guess I didn't do that and now I am having big problems and not having any fun at all owning this Big Horn!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
To slide or not to slide...

I had our Reese quik slide removed and use traditional mounts now. We have a 2500HD short box and never needed the slider even with our previous Jayco. BUT. We have the Trail Air Pin option and have had issues with the rear of the pin box cutting into the framework of our Truxedo. The added length of the trail air extends the overall length of the the whole shebang. I just finished trimming off about 4 inches of the lower rear of the pin box on an angle. I'm also confident that I didn't remove any of the structural integrity of the box. I had heard of this being an issue for someone else a few months ago. Adjusting the height of the pin or the hitch was not an option unless I wanted to change the towed angle of the trailer.

lynda7

May I ask what your tow vehicle is? We are looking at the same Big Horn you have ... are you truly happy with it? Any problems? Thanks so much!

impertick

Clark & Tina Emery
no need for slider hitch

I have a 3600RL. I have pulled with a 2005 Dodge 2500 with the inflatable air shock system. My truck is a short bed, diesel. We have pulled around 3000 miles. Highway and dirt roads. NEVER a problem. My hitch is a regular 5th wheel hitch that swivels side to side and its been great. Hope this helps.