slide leak?

caokgafamily

We just bought a new 3400,we are really happy with our purchase. The other night we got about 1" of rain,the 3400 is out on our drive way it is
a little out of level, lower towards the front door. I noticed inside that it was wet next to the bathroom vanity were the vynil meets the carpet,is this normal. 1" is alot of rain, all the slides were out during the storm.

jimtoo

No, it is not normal to get water inside due to rain. Check to make sure your bedroom slide is all the way out. You might feel along the edge of the slide next to vanity to make sure it is sealed against the wall. If it is all the way out, then you need to contact your dealer to have it checked out.

If you think 1 inch is to much, just send it on down to us. We had 2.6 at my house yesterday and would like to have at least that much more in the next day or two. We are way behind in the rainfall department.

Merry Christmas
Jim

HappyKayakers

I get a leak in the same place when it rains. Also check the other side of your bed, along the same line, for wet carpet. I'm having a dealer check it out next month but my current suspicion is that water is trickling along the bottom edges of the slide. There is a small gap in the seals at each corner of the bedroom slide. We'll see what the techs at the dealer think.

caokgafamily

The 1" of rain occured within about 30 min, pretty much a down pour. I dont know if that would contribute to the leak . I read in previous post about some other seal, our 3400 was made in Oct 06,so I'm pretty sure the updated seal is installed. I'm curious if it contributes to any leaks if the 5th wheel is not level.

HappyKayakers

Sounds like you're talking about the D-seal. That's designed to keep water from infiltrating under the slide while driving through the rain. I wouldn't think it would help while you're parked, unless the raindrops are bouncing that high off the ground.:eek:
I see in your profile that you're from Warner Robins. I spent 4 yrs there courtesy of Uncle Sam in the mid 80's. Bet it's still growing.

C

Chulinw

I had a bedroom leak also when I got my RL3400. I check the rubber seal outside and found holes in them from the factory. It took the dealer 4 times to get it fix after they replace all the rubber seals around the bedroom slide. That was the only thing that got it stop leaking. Good look...

Scott

Check the lower corners of the bedroom slide wipe seals. Sometimes, from the room going in and out, they can get flopped around so that the bottom wiper seal and the side wiper seal are in such a position that it can cause the water to pool there and back up into the coach. This can often be remedied by using your finger to straighten the wipers out.
There was a time when we punched a "weep hole" in the lower corners as well (it was typically shaped like a square) to keep any water from pooling up there and then backing into the coach. People would actually email us that they had a "hole" in their seal, and we'd have to explain to them that it was on purpose. I am not sure if we still put those weep holes in the lower corners of the bedroom slideouts or not. But I can check if you need me to.

ST

HappyKayakers

I'm attaching a picture of the bottom front corner of my bedroom slide. In the white circle is possibly the weep hole that Scott was talking about. Looks like that would just make an easier entrance for water into the coach. There is a similarly positioned hole at the rear corner of the slide. We've had some freezing rain and snow here recently. During the last thaw, I watched some of the runoff from the top of the bedroom slide. It followed the bottom edge of the slide and through the gap circled in red. I'll be sealing that gap (and the identical one at the rear corner) before we get our next scheduled precip later this week.

Attachments

• PC270002A.JPG
    PC270002A.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 115

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Happy Kayakers,
We have an 06 Bighorn 3400RL and we also had a leak as you are having and at the 06 Heartland Rally The factory workers looked under the seal you have pictured on each end with a flash light and fond that the little water gutters that are on each end where placed in the wrong place. So they took off the bottom seal and put the water gutters in thier right places and have not had any wet carpets from that point on. I believe Scott is right on leaveing those small hole there for this water to drain out. Evans & Lana

HappyKayakers

We got a good all-day rain the other day. Where we usually had wet spots in the bedroom were now dry. I put silicone sealant in the gap (circled in red in my previous post) and ran it out about an inch away from the bottom wiper seal. Watched the water hit the end of the sealed area and drop to the ground instead of running along the edge into the bedroom. I'm still going to have the dealer check for the water gutter placement that Evans & Lana referred to but for now it's a good temporary fix.

ChopperBill

I just checked ours out today(in anticipation of getting out of this #@%&^% snow!) and found that our bedroom slide side seal was "tucked in" instead of out when the slide was extended. I can see how water can run down the sides and inside the bedroom that way. The other side was out like it should be when the slide is out so that would be no problem. The slide out is not centered in the slide opening so I have no idea how to eliminate this problem outside of just going out and manually pulling it out with my finger. A lot easier to deal with than the wet carpet from water coming in from the tires on the living room slides!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We have a "Tucked in" seal on the upper corner of our doorside slide. I can reach it from the step to pull it out. So far I have not noticed any water coming in anywhere from rain. We've had some good storms too.
On the other hand, our entertainment slide, on the inside wall, seems out of whack. The gap between the wall and the slide out molding is closer at the bottom than at the top by about 1/2 inch. I just noticed this today. Again, no water leaking but I wonder if it's adjusted right. I'll be asking a dealer nearby that sells Landmarks.

K

Ken Washington

Ray,
My entertainment slide was worse, over one inch at the top. I made the adjustment myself and it sure looks better.

Ken

Dharma

Ken can you post instructions on how you made the adjustment to your slide. We have the same problem with our entertainment slide but are not sure how to fix it ourselves. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

caokgafamily

I dont know if this has anything to do with bedroom slide leak,but right next to the bedroom sink cabinet down at the floor, I can see light coming through from the outside. I notice it at the bottom of the wall between the cabinet and the area where the slide goes out. Its not alot of light but enough that you can see it. Its about 4" long and the width of a pencil tip. I was thinking about sealing it from the outside.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Same Subject in a strange place

I noticed completely by accident for the first time this morning. In the bedroom slide in the corners on either side of the headboard (King bed) there was moisture. It was on both sides from top to bottom. To try to be as specific as possible, along the inside corner trim.
I think it was condensation. I noticed condensation on the bottom of the bedroom slide window as well. We do have dual pane windows and this is the first time I've notice that. It was VERY damp outside this morning and the outside of the trailer was real damp as well. This is something I'll be monitoring for a while. :confused:

K

Ken Washington

Dharma,
Adjustment is not too hard to do! There are two push/pull arms that control the movement of the slide. At the end of these arms are bolts that attach the slide to the arms. You will see a vertical bolt with locking nut which controls the up and down adjustment of the slide. Loosen the nuts on both arms and loosen the lock nut on the vertical adjustment bolt. At this point the only thing holding the slide is the vertical bolt. Make your adjustment with the vertical bolt. I had one and one half inches too much space at the top of my slide on the inside and I only had to adjust the bolts down by one inch. For me it was a trial and error thing. You have to lower the slide and tighten the nuts and bolts and then pull the slide in to see if you have made enough adjustment. Make sure that you tighten all nuts and bolts when you are though with the adjustment. It took me about one hour to do mine. Hope this helps you in some way!

Ken

HappyKayakers

While I was at Pharr RV getting some warranty work done, I wandered around the lot and checked out some other Bighorns and Big Country's. What I noticed on the bedroom slides was the trim along the bottom edge. On some rigs, it was set flush with the floor of the slide. On these, there was no gap between the seal and the slide (and no entry for water dripping down). You can compare to the previous picture of my slide. The RV tech also mentioned that sometimes they tilted that trim so water would run away from the coach.

Attachments

• P1030011.jpg
    P1030011.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 75