Exterior skin cracked. BUSTED FRAME??????

rick_debbie_gallant

I have a 2010 big horn 3670. Can anyone tell me if they have had problems withtheir side wall exterior skin cracking. And if so is it caused by what???

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
That doesn't sound good! Can you give us a few more specifics? Where are the cracks? Pictures would be helpful!

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Rick,
After I dropped the hitch pin cushion 5 feet, don't ask, I found exterior skin cracks around the bedroom slide. Resulted in cracked welds, and insurance company declared it a broken frame, and totaled my beautiful Big Horn.

Tom of Ypsi

Rick & Debbie,

A whole bunch of us have had that problem. What has been found in most cases is the frame welds have broken. I would have thought HL would have corrected this problem by now.

RoadJunkie

Rick, my '10 3670 is still intact with no sign of cracking. We have about 4K miles on the unit. But I'm going to follow this thread closely!

Have you examined the frame--welds, I assume--closely?

Tom of Ypsi

Guess I should have also said to take pictures and contact the factory to see if they will do anything. The factory use to have the people with this problem go back to the factory for a fix. Do not know what the policy is now.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Rick, I would be on the phone to someone. Be nice, call Lippert and HL service. Take pix and send them to both places. Do you see anything on the inside walls??

Tom, you are correct. JMHO, Lippert makes the frames so they should have better QC or hire better welders. On the other hand HL should have someone inspecting the frame welds. This has go on FAR tooooo long.

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3600RL. Does your crack look anything like this one? We sent pictures to Jim Fenner thinking that it was the frame and after reviewing, he felt that the frame is in tact. He told me to look at the bedroom slide seal, at the bottom there is a screw that he feels might have gone in at an angle and over time, that was what caused the crack and it has extended while traveling to the valley this year. When we left MissourOn the landing gear.jpgi, that crack had not developed. Since we will be in the valley for the next four months, I will contact him when I have the opportunity to get it On The Truck.jpgrepaired.
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

I have a 2008 Big country and both Lt and Rt front side wall gussets are broken in the hitch area which allows the hitch pin to float 3 to 8 inch up and down. the bedroom closet is coming apart. it on its way to the factory for repair.

rick_debbie_gallant

We have a 2009 Bighorn 3600RL. Does your crack look anything like this one? We sent pictures to Jim Fenner thinking that it was the frame and after reviewing, he felt that the frame is in tact. He told me to look at the bedroom slide seal, at the bottom there is a screw that he feels might have gone in at an angle and over time, that was what caused the crack and it has extended while traveling to the valley this year. When we left MissourView attachment 10927i, that crack had not developed. Since we will be in the valley for the next four months, I will contact him when I have the opportunity to get it View attachment 10926repaired.
//heartlandowners.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Yes it looks like what you have pictures of.

=Bruce Morey your message is just like ours both sides broken up front how did you get the company to reconize this problem an how are you getting it to the factory are you still towing it? we were told that ours in not towable been sitting a month now waiting for insurance to do something i have notified heartland an lippert sent many pictures nither one of them has responed to any of my attempts for help. we have a 2009 big horn 3600rl linda lee

Attachments

• DSC_0623.jpg
    DSC_0623.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 183

MsBamaJams

2010 Landmark Oakmont
We can relate to this issue!!! We purchased a 2010 Landmark Oakmont in 10-09. We really loved it!!! We planned a big trip to Nevada from Oklahoma in Sept 2010. Within the first day of our trip, we started noticing a crack by the bedroom slide. After only a couple of more days, we contacted Heartland because we were becoming quite alarmed by the size of the crack. Heartland instructed us to take pictures and email them to Heartland. After couple of conversations, Heartland found a local dealer where we could have our RV inspected once we were back home in Oklahoma.

Oct 2010, we pulled our RV into the local dealer. There have been attempts to fix the crack but they have failed. The dealer has now had our RV for 4 months!!!! Heartland has now authorized the dealer to peel back the exterior to expose the frame!!!! We about had a heart attack!!! We have owned the Oakmont for 15 months.....the dealer has had it for 4 of those months trying to fix it. It truly is frustrating and we are just sick!!!!

we know exactly how you feel 4 months to have it an not fixed yet that is very disturbing. it is a shame that these frames are going bad an cracking the fiberglass an no recalls are going on there should be something we all could do about this but i have no idea what. we have been stuck a month now in arkansas waiting for something to happen but mostly just the run around. i hope you get yours fixed please keep posted what is going on. wheretootraveler

I have had 3 requests for information about the frame failure and cracks on my 2008 Big Country 3500 RL. I have many emails and pictures that I have sent Heartland. Heartland Rv told me that they would fix my 3500 RL out of the kindness of their hearts, and they did. My out of pocket cost was 2380.00 for transport and inspection. I towed it back from Elkhart and it seems to be a good repair so far. Oh! after the repair I had to have the tail lights rewired and I think the transport driver burned my trailer brakes out , had none on the way home. Once it stops snowing I will see what thats all about. The guy telling you that crack was caused by a miss guided screw is smoke and mirrors. The only way to correctly inspect the frame is to remove the front cap and lower cover and get close up and personal with hitch frame. If you need my information email me .

Last edited by a moderator:

cpl0199

That doesn't sound good! Can you give us a few more specifics? Where are the cracks? Pictures would be helpful!
Just purchased a 3650 big country from the Maryland show. I am concerned after reading these post of the cracks. Should I be ordering or not. Have you had problems with your unit as I see it is farily new.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Just purchased a 3650 big country from the Maryland show. I am concerned after reading these post of the cracks. Should I be ordering or not. Have you had problems with your unit as I see it is farily new.

I have seen hundreds of Heartlands at many rallies for the past three years. The only ones I have seen with cracks are the few that are shown/mentioned on the forum. No doubt a few have had problems, some serious, but the percentage is extremely low overall compared to the number of trailers produced and in use. Having been a boat owner in the past, I can attest they have the same problems as do all fiberglass RVs. These things twist, bounce, and shake moving down the road and there will sometimes be a problem. It is not unique to Heartland, and not unique to RV's but happens in anything fiberglass.

SmokeyBare

CPL,

Sure isn't what you wanted to read AFTER you put your down payment on a new RV... But if you re-read the results of this unfortunate problem...Heartland stepped past his warranty time to do the repairs... Factory repairs done right. I'd worry more about those RV Companies who have like issues and who turn their back to the customer. Heartland has always shown me and many others they go a long way to try to make their Customers... their Heartland family members happy with the decision to own one of their RVs. Rest well knowing they are trying hard to make a quality product.