Window Question

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I was wondering about the small vents on the bottom of RV window frames. I understand that they are to allow water to escape but I would like to know how the water gets into the frame and if this is an issue regarding possible leak problems. Some have told me that the vents are for interior condensation and not for rain water. If that is the case, why do not all the windows on our 3450 have these weep vents? I must have looked at my window frame for 10 minutes, in the rain, and I'll be darned if I can figure it out! Water drips out of these vents but I really can't see where it is getting in. There is no water getting inside the RV but I am curious about what is happening inside the wall! :eek:

Thanks!

hoefler

As water runs down the window, operational side, it will go into the window track. The holes drain the track. It is a good idea to regularly make sure they are open and not plugged up with dirt and debris.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thanks! I finally did find this explanation also...

Weep holes are on many type of RV SIDE windows. To my knowledge no weep
holes are on front RV windows. They divert the water from the inner slide windows
that seeps under the rubber molding and are on the bottom of the slot (trough)where the slide window slides. On the outside of the vehicle, the holes can be seen below the non slide windows. They are slots about an inch long and about as wide as the lead in a lead pencil. Usually, there are two or three per window. The slots are usually covered by a plastic insert that reduces the noise of the air due to the velocity of the vehicle and they set up a venturi (sucking) effect to draw water out of the trough. When the weep holes get clogged, rain goes down the outside of the slide window and seeps into the trough and then pours into the vehicle.