Trailer seems to be too low/scrapes the decline as we leave gas stations

healeyt

Hi, My name is Theresa. We bought our North Trail 28' RLS last March. Heartland installed our Equalizer Hitch/Sway Bars and told us that the hitch ball on our 2006 Dodge Durango and the trailer were aligned properly. We find that when we go down the decline coming out of gas stations there is so little clearance we scrape the hitch, the spare tire and the rear end of the trailer. This seems to be a poor design. Is anyone else having this problem and what can be done to correct it?

Thanks for suggestions. Theresa:(

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Theresa, I've moved your question out of the "Ask the Factory" section into a general discussion. This isn't really a question the factory would address. For sure, it would be a situation to discuss with your dealer. What year is your Durango? The earlier body style was a little low but if the hitch is set correctly there isn't much you can do. If you could take a picture of the rig and tow vehicle together, we may be able to say weather or not it's riding right. A close up of the hitch and equalizer bars would also help determine if it's set right. A lot depends on the type of hitch.

Does it happen all the time or only on some of the steeper drives? Is the trailer too heavy for the tow vehicle? Sometimes entering or leaving a steep approach at an angle, if possible, will help.

jbeletti

Theresa,

Consider also joining the North Trail Talk forum at this link. Post your question there as well. It's a forum that is separate from this one owned and run by a North Trail owner. they may be able to assist you even quicker there.

Jim

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We have a 2008 N.T. 28 BHS and it also sits low. We scrape in the rear and the front any time there is a large change in incline. We removed the spare from the front and that seemed to help. There was not much we could do for the rear. Our tow vehicle was a 2005 F250 and the trailer sat level.

Jamie

irvin56

Yes they are low. some member has ripped the spare tire off from a SPEED BUMP in parking lot. I have not had that scrapping problems YET.
I watch where I go, Gas stations that have no high entry or exits, Parking lots with speed bumps (the higher ones) pulling into the normal stores, gas staions etc. They are meant for cars only. I aviod every one of them. I have unhooked to fuel because of that AND MY own stupidity for not fueling before I left the CG. When traveling I use truck stops to fuel and walk into some stores if I'm not sure of parking lots.
Another problem you need to watch for is the tail swing when turning. I almost wrote off the back end on a Sharp exit from a site with lots of trees.
They are low riders and unless you put a lift kit on axles you just need to be aware of your roads you travel into and out of spots. Not all areas can be avoided but if your aware of the surroundings it helps a lot.
I have put on a few more miles on my shoes, but saved my rearend from draggin the ground.

Have fun in the North Trail. We have enjoyed ours alot and would have to think real hard to get rid of it. nothing but a Heartland 5er would do us if and when we trade ours.

porthole

Retired
You have a smaller truck and trailer and therefore things are closer to the ground.
I have a full size truck and a larger trailer and still hit my driveway - in and out every time.

Something I use to do with our travel trailer to keep the hitch from hitting was to remove the WD bars until after I got out of the driveway. Might be something to consider.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I am a little curious about the OP's statement that HL installed the WDH and set it up. I did not think that HL ever installed hitch's except for what came on the trailer. Maybe she just miss-spoke and it was her dealer that installed it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Theresa, as an other poster stated. Always try to go in or out at an angle on any incline. That will be the only way to stop the bottoming out. Using truck stops could be an answer if you are traveling. Most of them have very shallow inclines.

hbjersurf

I have a 28 brs that frequently scrapes. If fact a few trips ago I was pulling out of a normal area and my electric stabilizers caught on the sidewalk and bent them tremdously. I was able to remove them and get them usable again but I believe the electric stablizer jack should not be added to trailers with the slide out bike rack as it makes the jacks sit way to low. My jacks are only 6 - 8 inches above the road. The bike rack scrapes frequently as well. I rarely use it anymore. I believe I am going to have the trailer lifted if possible. My trailer also has 14" wheels. The local tire guy recommended going up to 15 inch to allow for a thicker ply tire (10 vs current 6). I believe this would raise the rig a little as well. Love my tt though as we have many family memories being created. Happy trails.

Manzan

As I just posted in another thread, some of the North Trail travel trailers are coming with the springs mounted on top of the axles now. I have been thinking about doing this to ours but have run into problems just once. Very careful about how we enter/leave gas stations or parking lots now.

APT

I got a quote of $350-$475 to flip the axles on my 28BRS. The shop did not recommend it, but would do it. I passed for now, as I may end up replacing my TT in the next 2 years.

CliffP

There isn't a lot of clearance but are you pulling in and out at an angle or straight on? We've put a lot of miles on with the camper behind. I have only bottomed out once and it was a super steep entrance that I'd have been shocked if we'd have cleared.

Nathan

How is it towing? Mine had been towing terrible since we picked it up in March. Turns out, we have two bad axles which have since been replaced. This made the unit sit even lower than it should have. Which casued damage to the rear stabilizer jacks as well as Gray #2 termination point on our NT 30QOK. The dealer told me that they have had to replace numerous Lippert made axles due to similiar occurances as mine. The dealer told me that Lippert sent "beffier" axles, but once I get the trailer back (from all the other things that are wrong with it) I am going to give her a good inspection! Happy camping

Nathan

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
The only thing that has scraped when leaving our driveway and gas stations is the sewer connection, so my husband shortened it 2 inches, we should be good now!

ZNK

There isn't a lot of clearance but are you pulling in and out at an angle or straight on? We've put a lot of miles on with the camper behind. I have only bottomed out once and it was a super steep entrance that I'd have been shocked if we'd have cleared.

Cliff,

The older models have the springs under the axles, I assume since yours is a 2012 the springs are on top. Thats how ours is and it is much higher off of the ground when compared to the other models.

dl_camps

Hi Theresa,
We have a new North Trail 21 FBS and love it so far. It does seem to sit kind of low, we just try to watch what the driveways and campsites are like before we pull in. The one thing we did do was to remove the spare tire from the front. Would rather have it on the back I guess as it does look like it would scrape very easlily. We just keeps the spare tire in the back of the truck when we travel. No need to worry then. Hope you enjoy your new camper. We just got back from a week long trip and everything worked like a charm so far. We did invest in another battery, most of the time we camp without electric hookups.

Happy Camping,
Don & Linda

CliffP

Cliff,

The older models have the springs under the axles, I assume since yours is a 2012 the springs are on top. Thats how ours is and it is much higher off of the ground when compared to the other models.

Yes, our springs are above the axles. We haven't seen any of the older North Trails with the other set up. Feeling lucky that is not an issue with ours. Calling to schedule a time to go through other things we need resolved since our original dealer didn't fix anything.

ZNK

Yeah,

I am taking mine in on friday to have the front cap replaced...sure hope this doesnt cause issues with the roof leaking... That is my biggest fear.

APT

Cliff,

It is not the age/vintage of the NT. The king slide models are higher, have 3 step entries and the shallow slides have 2-steps. 32BUDS = king slide.