Trailer Saver vs Air Safe hitch

trucknut

I have had a fifth wheel for 15 years, hit my cab and bounced around the trailer abit, wore out the old hitch. Now that a new cyl 2812 is on the way, I need a new hitch and have no clue to what is better or good quality in the air ride. The toy hauler will expierence some rough twisty roads at times and the old hitch is not up to the job. Being the hitch is wore I was thinking of buying an air riding hitch for handling all the impact forces that are common to fifth wheels. If some of you have these style hitchs, it would be good to hear your thoughts. Is an air ride hitch that much better that the air pin?
Thanks

1231ChaseB

Hi ! I have a 2010 3912 Cyclone that i believe has a very heavy pin weight ! I decided to go with the Trailer Saver air ride hitch ! It seemed to me that there was just too much movement of the fifth wheel with the standard fifth wheel hitch ! As you would be traveling down the road you could see the fifth wheel going up and down,without the truck going up and down, which meant to me that something was flexing quite a bit ! This part i put on another thread ! I traveled to northern Michigan on a trip and returned home and when i got into the front compartment to turn off the disconnect i noticed that the mouse trap i keep there had NOT gone off ! That told me i was getting quite a smooth ride in the fifth wheel ! To be honest i haven't had any experience with the air pin box !
chaseb

porthole

Retired
Since it came up here first. I am looking at the 3 main air ride hitches. I posted the following to the big 3 and received these answers.

Hello,
I have a new 2011 Ford SD on order with the factory 5th wheel hitch prep. My current trailer is an 18,000 pound (measured) 5th wheel toy hauler.
There are 3 main air ride 5th wheel hitches that I have found. All are pricey and I want to make the right choice. How does your hitch compare to the other two listed hitches?
I am not looking for one manufacture to bash another, just what you think makes your hitch best.

-----------------------------------------
Air hitch questions

Hello, You had a older version of our web page, please take the time to review our newer products at http://www.mountainmaster.net/hitches/airhitchcom.html

Mountain Master offers some key advantages our competitors dont have
1. All parts are sandblasted and powdercoated in a oven
2. Our airbags and Airlines are protected from harmful UV rays and sharp objects in the bed of your truck. Our bags last Three times longer!
3. We build our own head so you are not dealing with a third party for warranty problems with head
4. We do not use the Holland head that has had multiple failures with less than 80,000 miles os use! (warning Holland Head only has 1 year warranty) Please read on our page about Holland head failures!
5. We have dual mounting should you decide to sell the unit or put it in a different style truck
6. We have dual shock absorbers (monroe)
7. We have the only for and aft cushioning to absorb head jerking motion (we patented this system so other mfg's are not able to offer this)
8. We use CnC cutting system so all parts are precision and replaceable
9. We offer the only Pin Catcher system on a air ride hitch
10. We use all DOT approved airlines and fittings (not cheap plastic ones that will fail)

Please review our new web page and all of the facts stated above, If you have any other questions let me know if I can help.

Thanks,
Todd Piercey
Mountain Master Truck Equipment L.L.C.
Office- 602-678-5050
Cell- 623-521-2222
Fax- 602-216-6406Air
How does your “AirSafe™ System” compare to other “air hitches” on the market?

No other hitch offers the “Omni –directional 8-way” like our 5th Wheel Hitches have. Air Safe Hitches are the only 5th Wheel Hitch that controls the side to side with Air, as well and forward and back, up and down, and corner to corner. All other air hitches only control up and down with air, side to side is mechanical. Most just go up and down (ask them), while this helps, you lose a lot of the benefits of the “True” AirSafe™ System (No road articulation, no unleveled hook-up, more strain on your frame, etc). For the small price difference, our hitches offer many times more benefits than the competition.

The Air Safe Hitches do not require that you release the air before disconnecting your trailer and than having to re-inflate the next time you connect the trailer. Why settle for less? You also might run into “height” problems with other hitches, especially on the medium duty “toter trucks”. We offer the most versatile height adjustments on the market.

We sell an adapter kit to allow you to use the Rees Signature series Underbed rail system with our hitch. We have 2 version one for the new Ford F350-45-550 sold by ford as a factory install. This requires our adapter and a Ford part product to connect the hitch. All other truck model use are standard adapter bracket system.

Mountain Master:
This is new design. I think it uses air for the up and down control and the rubber mounts for the for and aft. The head side to side motion is not under any air or rubber control. By looking at the design it looks like the hitch pivots on the Gooseneck ball. The Gooseneck ball is too high to work with standard Gooseneck trailer. I don’t know what height adjustment they have available.
TrailSaver:
Only controls up and down using 2 air bags. You need to buy optional brackets to raise the hitch height. Each time you unhook you must release the air in the bags and then re-inflate each time you use the hitch. Side to side motion is on a mechanical pivot. Total weight is around 245 lbs.
This is what I have in answer to your questions. Give me a call and we can discuss further.
866-448-2475
Lloyd Stegemann
High End Markets
Air Safe Hitches
1420 Celebration Blvd, Suite 200
Celebration, Fl 34747
321-939-2131
www.airsafehitches.com.

-----------------------------------------

I’m going to keep my response relatively simple:
Performance
Quality
Guarantee

The TS3 is specifically designed to give you a 4 way tilt head (improved Holland Binkley) and the airbags will move up and down. This design has two purposes, to both stop the forward and back surge on the airbags and this includes the “chucking” condition and to cushion the up and down bounce from the trailer as well. We are not looking for a lot of movement on the airbags, we simply want to address the surge and the bounce which is the two biggest complaints about towing a 5th wheel.

The quality of the TrailerSaver hitch is top notch from the quality of the welding to the powder coated paint finish and the improved Holland Binkley styled head unit that has much smoother action and tighter tolerances than the original.

Hensley Mfg. is a trusted name in the RV and hitch industry. You can talk to any one of our over 15,000 hitch customers and they will all tell you that our products work exceptionally well and they have all received fantastic service and support after the sale. We are so confident that you will be satisfied with our product that we have the best guarantee policy in the industry: Purchase a hitch from us and we will not start your unconditional money back guarantee until you have your first opportunity to use it. If at any time during this period you are not totally satisfied, we will pay for return shipping and give you a 100% refund.

I really don’t know where we compare with the other two company’s current pricing for hitches and frankly, we are not trying to compete on price. We have our products priced where they need to be so that we can continue to offer a great product without cutting corners and stand behind it after the sale.

The TS3 hitch with our unique under bed (ford) adapter is in stock and ready to ship. I can have one delivered to you 2 days from the day you order. I can still honor the reduced price I quoted you on 9/22.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Thanks!
Aaron Grayhek
(800) 410-6580 Ext. 104

beasleyrl

I can also recommend the TS3. It has been a great hitch for us. I've used it on 2 different trailers (Cyclone being 1 of them) and 2 different trucks (Chevy and Ford). We have taken these rigs from Key West to Maine racking up a lot of miles. While I can't speak for the other brands, the TS3 has provided us great service and a much improved ride over our prior standard Reese hitch. I can also say that as was noted in Duane's email from them, Hensley stands behind their warranty and are a great company to deal with.

aatauses

I have a husky hitch and was having an issue with stressing on the overhang. I bought a retro fit for a husky hitch from air safe. It has two air bags and then I used my original husky plate---so far it has worked great.
I run about 60-70# of air and no need to take the air out to hook/unhook.
al

Elevatorman

I have a husky hitch and was having an issue with stressing on the overhang. I bought a retro fit for a husky hitch from air safe. It has two air bags and then I used my original husky plate---so far it has worked great.
I run about 60-70# of air and no need to take the air out to hook/unhook.
al

aatauses, I too have a Husky and I'm wondering what the stressing was on your overhang that was caused by your hitch. Maybe this is something I need to look into. I have noticed some side to side movement of the cap area that is different than the pin box, or cover, while driving, but I assumed this is flex, as I have found nothing loose in the pinbox that I can get to. Is this just a "Husky" problem? Thanks.

jpajax

I use this one and I pleased with the way it tows and the way it hooks up and releases. It is rated 18000lb 5000lb pin

Attachments

• 0729101259.jpg
    0729101259.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 0729101259b.jpg
    0729101259b.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 148

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I am new to the 5fer arena and maybe asking a stupid question, but do they all sit so far above the bed rails? Working on ordering soon and was thinking about getting a soft box cover to cover the hitch and box that would lock. that way I could have a little temp storage while not traveling. Anyone else do this?

trucknut

I learned about a third air hitch the "Mountain Master" their new model like the picture in Jpajax's post. This one has good adjustability decent price but it is fairly heavy at 245lbs. The Trailer Saver can taken apart in two pieces to lift out of the truck box weighing in at 155lbs. Not sure of the price yet. The "Air Safe" is a 4 air bag hitch looks good, but heavy, a little pricey. Still deciding on which hitch is best suited for my new toy hauler.
Porthole did you decide what hitch your going with? You seem to have done your homework on these air hitchs.

Jim Posz

I have had the Hensley Trailer Sav'r TS3 for three and a half years and have been happy with it. We do have the older one piece unit. The locking jaws on the coupling are way better then my previous conventional hitch and it improves the truck ride considerably. We purchased it with the optional air compressor with remote control, so we can adjust the air level from inside the cab. In tight manuvering situations "overfilling" the air bags will get you another inch and a half or so of clearance between the overhang and bed rails, which is sometimes handy.
Jim Posz
HOC #1719
2007 Sundance 3300SK
2009 Duramax

porthole

Retired
Porthole did you decide what hitch your going with? You seem to have done your homework on these air hitches.

No I have not. I have only gotten a "complete" price to my door from Trailer Saver so far. I need to ask TS about the Holland head issue pointed out by the other manufacturer.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
TS3 on order...............................................

Duane, can you tell me a little about the hitch you ordered?

Have you pulled with it yet?
What does it look like in your TV? Any pictures?
How much was it with shipping?
Did you use the under bed rails?
What made you choose that one over the others?

I am new to this 5ver stuff and really need some help choosing which hitch to get. We will be going fulltime in the very near future and would like to get the best hitch for our money. So any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael

caissiel

I have read all kinds of Forum articles about 5th wheel hitch setup and problems with ride comfort and makes me wonder if I will ever change my setup for the new modern setups.

I have pulled with 4 different trucks and 3 different trailers for the past 15 years and never have I had any hitch truck or trailer setup problem. All ride like a charm with no sway, jolt or neck braking problem I see advertized in all the sites and video. My trucks ride much better with the trailer in tow then empty.

This F250 was hard on my neck at first but I soon fixed it by removing an additional short spring ply that the previous owner had added to support a heavy load in the box. I left an additional ply under the main ply to protect the main ply from breaking on me, as these Ford are known to break their main ply in the rough roads here in the north, specialy when unloaded. Besides without it, I found the truck was not steady enough with the trailer in tow.

I have the hitched set up in my truck with 8 anchor points and 16 bolts, and along a 4ft long Bar that realy anchors the hitch to the truck compared to the new setup that is 2 ft long to save on truck box lenght. I look at these new 20K setup and look at mine and I truely see where I will keep mine for years to come.

It will be rotten out before I change. I keep mine well greased and remove it if I stay at a site for more then one week to keep the truck box clean. So I have a clean box to carry my Kayaks that we use all the time. I also use it to anchor my Satelite dish if I have to mount it away from the trees.

porthole

Retired
Have you pulled with it yet?
No

What does it look like in your TV? Any pictures?
Later this week

Did you use the under bed rails?
Uses the Ford factory option under bed mount, almost the same as the Reese Signature mount

What made you choose that one over the others?
There are 3 main air ride hitch companies. I wrote to all three with questions and asked for comparisons. I just preferred the TS3 from what I read.
And Hensley is the only company to offer a money back guarantee, including shipping for a 30 day trial period. The 30 days start when you start using the hitch, not when you receive it. In my case I got it last week and the money back thing starts May 15th.

I am new to this 5ver stuff and really need some help choosing which hitch to get. We will be going fulltime in the very near future and would like to get the best hitch for our money. So any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Keep reading and asking questions.
Go to a rally and look around and ask. More campers are more than happy to brag about their gear and tell you why they have the best item over what the neighbor has

porthole

Retired
I have read all kinds of Forum articles about 5th wheel hitch setup and problems with ride comfort and makes me wonder if I will ever change my setup for the new modern setups.

My wife rides in the trailer at times, and the air ride is to get the best ride available in the trailer.

aatauses

elevatorman,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you---vacation and then a few connection issues. The flexing I had was on the overhang--when hooked up, on the curb side the molding would be showing a 3/8" gap from where it was when not hooked up. I had a post on this called 'great rally--fifth wheel falling apart'--not sure how to link to it, but if you search, it had photos to explain what I am talking about.
I did get it fixed at a local dealer in WA---they found a few screws missing and then did some spot welding---this along with the air hitch seem to get the issue fixed.
al