Tank Valve Question???

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
OK Guys...need some information.

After almost 4 years of constant use, the black tank valve now has a "slow leak" when closed. We think something is stuck in it or it's just worn out, not sure. Discovered the problem because we are have a "clogging" issue even after just dumping the tank and think solids have accumulated at the end of the pipe coming from the commode into the tankfrom the water slowly leaking out of the tank...it starts to "burp" and back up the drain pipe into the commode. We've even put a hose down the vent pipe to make sure it wasn't clogged and it isn't. The blockage clears quickly, but just as quickly starts backing up in just a day or two.

Right now we've closed off the Valterra blade valve on the end of the drain to make sure water backs up the drain and into the black tank to keep things "wet"...but we need to fix this permanently then break up the "pyramid"....:mad:

My question is, how hard is this valve to get to and replace...any information, and possible pics would be wonderful...thanks...:)

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
While I haven't had much success searching these forums for old posts, I do recall someone posting many photos about their repair of a tank valve. I think it was about a year ago.

I know in my rig, I can see the black tank valve from the basement, just can't reach it. Removing the underbelly, though, would make it reasonably accessible. Just be sure the tank is EMPTY before loosening anything.

Have you tried backflushing the tank from the sewer connection? Back fill it and let it sit for a bit, then drain. Repeat that a few times and it may dissolve the "log jam" at the fitting, if that's the problem. If there's something stuck in the valve blade seat, working the valve a bit while draining may help dislodge it. I'd go this route before tackling removing or disassembling the valve.

kakampers

Thanks John...I remember seeing that thread too, but could not find it.

Over the last few days we've flushed this thing from every direction possible...so far no luck. We think we're down to having to replace the valve at this point. Nothing seems to stop the trickle...and boy does that create big problems in the tank.

2010augusta

Here is HT's thread on valve repair.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/13825-Dump-Valve-Question?highlight

Might try putting a long wand down the commode, to break thing up a bit.

There are a few biological treatment that will redissolve the solids in about 24 hours, if you can stop the leak with the extra valve.

kakampers

Thanks 2010 Augusta...we've already put the flexible wand down the commode, that's how we've broken it loose twice. Think something is "built up" just at the exit of the commode pipe into the tank.

Right now the blade valve is solving the leak...but we like to keep out greys open and can't with this set-up...need to fix the real problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another possible fix (or SWAG) might be to open the black tank valve (with the twist-on valve closed) and fill the tank about half way with water. Add a mix of Calgon and dishwashing liquid into the toilet and take the rig for a drive, with a few stops and starts to slosh it around. Might help cleanse whatever is stuck at or near the valve, maybe even whatever might be in the valve seat.

Pulltab

Kathy, when we had the issue I went to the hardware store and purchase a snake. It was a pretty long one that you could hook the drill to and snake it down it. I would get one of those, turn on your flusher and open the valve and one of you run it while the other goes out to check out the progress LOL! I can hear it now " OHHHH, THERE GOES A BIG ONE KEN! " LOL The valve is pretty easy to change I do believe, remove four bolts and slide the new one in. Of Course having the tank empty would be nicer :D