Heartland Debuts Full-Time Landmark Fiver

jbeletti

The following press release appeared today on RV Business:

Heartland Debuts Full-Time Landmark Fiver

November 15, 2010 by RV Business

Landmark-for-2011-300x227.jpg

Redesigned Landmark fifth-wheel for 2011.

Designed with the structural integrity and discerning features to accommodate a full-time RVing lifestyle, Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC introduces the new generation of Landmark luxury fifth-wheels.

The redesigned Landmark, which will be on display at this month’s National RV Trade Show in Louisville, Ky., is built with an integrated system of laminated fiberglass sidewalls, flooring and roof to increase durability while reducing overall weight, according to a news release.

“The construction is tailored to meet the demands of all-weather conditions and the rigors of full-time use,” said Kary Katzenberger, brand manager for the Elkhart, Ind.-based builder’s Landmark and Bighorn fifth-wheel lines. “In addition to achieving increased strength and a lighter weight, fiberglass affords superior thermal insulation and noise reduction over wood-framed products. To back that up, we offer a warranty for full-time living on the entire Landmark line that gives the consumer peace of mind.”

Katzenberger reported that the Landmark has already been building a backlog and will begin shipping to dealers by the end of the month, including Lazydays. “The entire organization of Lazydays is very excited to get the Landmark in their line-up of high-end luxury RVs,” said Ken Stumpe, sales manager for the Seffner, Fla.-based retailer.

Katzenberger noted that a pivotal piece in the redesign was to combine the Landmark’s robust exterior construction with an attention to residential-style interior features that address both convenience and comfort. Initially available in four floorplans ranging in lengths from 38 to 41 feet, the Landmark series sports new high-end decors and layouts that provide versatile seating arrangements and optimal storage for full-time living.

“The Landmark is loaded with industry-first amenities, including a residential, eco-friendly ‘body spa’ shower head from Oxygenics that significantly cuts down on water usage,” he said. “We also wanted to create an attractive environment that is functional and maximizes living space, which is vital to the full-time consumer.”

Units are equipped with three to four sliderooms, including a deeper bedroom slideout that offers the “biggest bedroom in the industry,” according to Katzenberger. The Landmark also boasts Heartland’s new “Mega Shower” that is 90% larger than the industry standard and outdates the neo-angle shower used in most fifth-wheels today.

Katzenberger added, “Our goal, as with all our products, was to supply our dealer body with the best value in the full-time fifth-wheel market. Landmark hits key price points with better quality and more features than the competition.” MSRP’s for the redesigned Landmark start at $68,000 with GVWR’s ranging from 16,000 pounds to 16,550 pounds.
Highlights for the new line include:

• A “Suites” bedroom/bathroom arrangement, featuring a large linen closet with room for a stackable washer/dryer; 30% larger walk-in front wardrobe; a 30% larger dresser with six larger drawer and overhead cabinets.
  • Option packages offering an auto-leveling system, back-up camera with wireless monitor and a “Yeti Extreme Cold Weather Package” that includes heated holding tank pads, radiant technology insulation in the front and rear caps with an R-38 equivalent rating, and a heated main water line with a low-volt polymer heating cable.
  • All-new exterior graphics and three elegant, residential-style interior decors set off by glazed pecan cabinetry.
  • Kitchens equipped with a large, stainless-steel sink, solid-surface stove covers and an optional Dometic Elite 4-door refrigerator.
  • Dexter axles, frameless exterior windows and Goodyear tires are standard.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
That is so awesome. Really like to see those frameless exterior windows. Nice touch.

jbeletti

Hi Bob and Christina,

All I can tell you is that the new San Antonio floor plan is one of the new ones. I believe we will keep one or more of the current floor plans and migrate those builds to the new features and may likely add another new floor plan. I'll try to get Kary to weigh in on this thread.

Jim

jbeletti

Mark,

I saw the frameless windows on a Landmark last week at the plant when I was giving Dave and Julie Yocum a tour. They look very cool. Of course, frameless doesn't really mean frameless. It's more an appearance from the outside that there is no frame. That said, like everything, there are trade-offs. For example, these windows tilt-out versus slide open (unless I missed something - possible :)). The con could be made that there is less air-flow. The pro could be made that you can keep these windows open in light to moderate rain. The pro could be made that these frameless windows look VERY upscale and stylish!

I am really looking forward to trying them out :)

Jim

Last edited:

RoadJunkie

D'oh! I did not realize I had an outdated "neo-angle shower" on my '10 BH! Time to upgrade I guess. Happy new model and best wishes for their success.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sounds outstanding. For a full time 5er is the A/C still on top of the trailer? It would be great if it had a heat pump built in using a residential system. I have seen this on a few motorhomes. Not only highend but more of the normal size.

I like the sound of the Dexter Axles. Are the frame, landing gear and slides still made by Lippert? Could a Bigfoot Auto leveling system be ordered?

BC

jbeletti

Hi Bob,

• ACs are roof mounted
  • While not on the option list in the past, we can get the AC with the heat-pump option
  • Frame and landing gear is Lippert
  • Slide room mechanisms vary. If hydraulic, they will be Lippert. If electric, we have used a couple different brands
  • We are not offering the Bigfoot system
Jim

ChopperBill

MSRP's starting at only $68000.:confused: My lowly Bighorn was more than that. Well, according to the Colo. DMV mine is a $84000 trailer. I will trade ya straight across for one of those new bad boys!

jbeletti

Hi Tom,

Units will come in 3 graphics/paint options:
- Standard is vinyl graphics like original Landmarks
- Partial body paint
- Full body paint

Yes - there is a UDC.

Coach width is 96"

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
OK, here's a question. Not trying to sound negative either but, Mobile Suites has, I believe, a 3" thick exterior wall and the same thickness for the slide out side walls. How will the new Landmark compare to this? I realize the MS is much more than 68K for a base price as well so just wondering.

jbeletti

Hi Ray,

You're not being negative. Good question and I encourage everyone to keep them coming :)

Yes, DRV uses thicker walls. They use fiberglass batt insulation in them I believe. I'd say they have a higher R-value in the exterior walls than Landmark.

Jim

jbeletti

Bob and Christina,

Kary was not able to log onto the forum tonight but he was able to send me his reply by email. So I am posting it here about Landmark floor plans:

We are currently building the San Antonio and the Grand Canyon. The new Key Largo and the Rushmore will be available after the first of the year. We will keep you and the forum in the loop on any new floor plans we will be offering in the months to come.

Kary Katzenberger
Brand Manager Bighorn/Landmark
Cell 574-514-4531
Office 574-266-3798
Fax 574-266-8702
kkatzenberger@heartlandrvs.com

grizzlygiant

Will this unit truly be livable in zero degree weather without the need for heat lamps, heat tapes and exterior skirts?

Are the waste lines insulated all the way to the sewer hose connection? How about the refer; does it have cold weather in the right places?

jbeletti

Gary,

We don't feel any RV is built to withstand winter weather down to zero degrees F without skirting and other precautions.

The sewer lines are insulated and heated where they are within the frame, as the frame itself is insulated and heated from the furnace. The lines are not insulated or heated where they are exposed outside of the frame.

Nothing additional has been done to the refer to extend its operating temperature range. If I recall correctly, Dometic's official position is around 32 degrees F, but in practice, in an RV that is lived in where the refer is opened and closed often, users find the refer usable at much lower temperatures.

Finally, if your refer is equipped with an ice maker and the refer is in a slide-out, "in most cases", the ice maker water line runs outside in the flex guard and is not insulated or heated outside the frame on its way to the water solenoid on the back of the refer. In these cases, it is recommended that you winterize the ice maker and water line.

Jim

dieselsweetheart

Sorry I may have missed this info...what is the length of these new units? I know the San Antonio was 40'....are there any plans to make a shorter Landmark? Our SOB relatives would be interested in a Landmark but say they want to go shorter than the 36 they have now...

danemayer

$68,000 is a bit less than the base price on other Landmark models posted earlier this year and wouldn't include the mandatory "Landmark Package" with a list price of $11,200. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/8274-2011-Model-Year-Landmark-MSRP-Updated-01-05-10

This is what's included in the 2011 package from earlier this year.

Two-Tone Solid Surface Countertops & Sink Covers, Ceiling Fan with
Light Kit, Ball Bearing Drawer Guides, Stackable Washer/Dryer Closet
w/Prep, Universal Docking Center, 5.7 Shurflo Water Pump, “Boutique”
Pull out sprayer Faucet and Stainless Steel in Kitchen, Soft Touch
Ceiling, High-Gloss GelCoat Fiberglass Exterior, Hide-A-Bed w/Air
Mattress, Memory Foam Top King Mattress, Deluxe Bedspread & Pillow
Package, Dual Satellite Prep, Dual Battery Tray, 32" LCD TV, 9 cu.ft.
Dometic Refer., Aluminum Wheels, Battery Disconnect, Electric Rear
Stabilizer Jacks, Dual 40 lb. LP Bottles, Hydraulic Front Landing Gear,
Mirrored Tinted Windows, Goodyear Tires, Independent Slide Switches,
Exterior Paint Package, Central Vacuum System, Electric Power Cord
Reel, Aluminum Framed Laminated Floor and Roof, Rotating Sewer
Boom, “Welcome Back Light”, Glazed Cherry Hardwood Cabinets,
Storage Drawer in Steps, “Beaufloor” Wood Plank Flooring, Vessel

Bowl Sink in Bath, Big 1 Piece Shower.