Brake controller

kb0zke

We're going to pick up our new 181 after Thanksgiving. The dealer has suggested that we can speed up the process if we pick up the connecting cable ourselves if the proper connection isn't already there. The tv is a 2005 Mercury Mountaineer with the Class III/IV tow package. The local Ford dealer said that the proper wiring is in place - somewhere. What they don't know is if that "proper wiring" means that the proper connector is present to just plug into the brake controller, or whether an additional cable is needed.

Anyone know for sure one way or the other?

caissiel

The trailer package usualy include the wiring at the hitch for the 6/7 pin connector and the plug should be seen if included.
The controler plug is under the dash toward the middle and an adapter could be bought to attach a brake controler. Some have the adapter plug in a seperate kit included in the new vehicle when purchsed, that may be adapted to connect the Controler.

That's what I had to do to my SD without a Ford brake controler option.

kb0zke

Yes, I do have the 7-pin connector back by the hitch. Naturally, when I called none of the techs were available to ask, so more questions will be asked tomorrow. The trailer dealer has a good relationship with another Ford dealer, so I'm guessing that that dealer will be the authority.

kb0zke

Thanks. From the site you posted, it looks like I need to talk to the rv dealer to see what brand of controller they are installing. Looks like most include the proper connections, though, so it ought to be a "relatively simple" (grin) job to install the controller.