New Ford vs GM test - shootout

porthole

Retired
If you remember seeing there was a recent "truck shootout" between the big three. Ford fans cried foul because of the new Job 2 hp and torque increase.

Diesel Power once again did a head to head comparison between two very close to equal trucks, 2011 3500 Silverado and F-350, both DRW's

Read the results here, you may be surprised.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11/chevy-vs-ford-in-heavy-duty-rumble-in-the-rockies.html

http://blogs.dieselpowermag.com/672...ax-vs-2011-ford-f-350-power-stroke/index.html

I found a neat little gear calculator on the net and imputed the two truck's spec, they are posted below.

Attachments

• Ford F-350.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 47
  • GMC.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 27

porthole

Retired
Now, there are some rumors that the test location was "suggested" by GM and that maybe they found a flaw in the Ford's high altitude programming.

As impressive as the hill climb was, the downhill ride was way more impressive.

If the GM and Ford engine braking feature are working simialrly, I wonder why the Ford was so week kneed coming down the hill.

I know with the GM it is capable of heavy engine braking. Never worked correctly on my truck, but the Banks speed brake was like throwing out an anchor when applied.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Either way they are both impressive with the only real difference in the engine brake. I let my engine use mine and I have never been more satisfied and "safe" when driving through the mountains as I always do.

Dave012

Looks like two great trucks. Looks like on power, acceleration, etc they are pretty close so its just a matter of personal preference.

Bottom line, don't buy a dodge. :)

bill40

Wish I had the braking on mine, have all the power, but like Porthole the Banks brake was great when on but didn't always work. Maybe they will get it right buy the time I make another big trip out west.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
It would be interesting as well to see a real world long term test. For instance, give me the Chevy and anybody else the Ford and let us live with the trucks for a year or so. We could compare mileage, comfort, maintenance costs etc. Because really, how often do we climb a 5 to 7 percent grade?

I like the results of the tests though. Like John, it re-affirms my GM allegiance.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Looks like the Fords could have used some John. Maybe they should installed some anchors also. OK...OK...I know I'm going to get some FLAP. But for a year and a 1/2 all the Ford guys have been yapping about the new 2011 Ford. It was suppost to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry guys...I guess "it tait so" even with Ford chipping them to out do GM.

RoadJunkie

We was robbed, I tell ya...robbed! The test was rigged. Our Ford was suffering from a turbo cold and the...other brand...was diesel doping!

2010augusta

So the real question is...

Where the heck was a GM RATED to haul a 17,000# trailer back in 2008, when we were buying.

I never considered a GM because they GVRW were too low, then the Dodge dealer told us to go buy a Ford, if we were hauling a trailer that heavy.

caissiel

An other GM trick to be stronger then the Ford Scorpion.

I was watching the program Motoring 2010 produced in Canada yesterday and they were doing a GM article on the HD Gm's and were saying that GM had beat them all Ford and Ram.

For the test they were using equal bumper hitched trailers with equal tractors mounted on them. My first impression was that the setup allowed the tractor to lift the hitch of the truck on hard acceleration, so the trucks needed to be on 4 x 4 to have proper traction.

Well they mention that the Ram was no contest to the GM and they only filmed the Ford competing with the GM.

The commentator advised that the Ford was unable to be shifted on 4 x 4 High so the test was done with the Ford on 2 x 4 and the GM on 4 x 4.

Now I was as mad as any Ford owner can be, because in no way that a Ford will have the situation of not be able to shift to 4 x 4 high.

So they raced the 1/4 mile and we could see the Ford spinning due to the trailer lifting the rear and the GM on 4 x 4 took of without any spin. The GM did not have enough power to spin all 4 wheels of course. The take off was far advantage GM and the Ford after it was able to gather its traction, as the announcer said, it was catching up with the GM fast and finished about 50 ft behind.

My conclusion is that GM is putting big money and addiing many stupid tricks that we Ford owners have a hard time to believe they would stoop that low in order to prove they are the best.

GM was not fair and the race was no contest as I could see the Ford catching up fast.

It was a farse and If GM has to be that stupid I will never walk in a GM dealership again. Its truly cruel to try to impress the general public while there is so many holes in there testing. Can you imagine the result of the workmanship in their products.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Well, usually a simply joke about the "mine is better" thing is funny, but I will say one thing and that is: If you think a GMC or Chevy is the answer for the towing thing in you life you better think just a little more!!!!!!!!! They are rated as the lower end of the trucks....OH don't listen to thier advertisements...LISTEN TO OTHERS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had two ot thier trucks and was LUCKY enough to get rid of them! Do what you want but I would by
FORD and Dodge LONG BEFORE I WOULD EVER EVEN CONSIDER A CHEV OR GMC!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY ARE WHAT IS CALLED A POC VEHICLE.

lwmcguir

All you have to do is look at the real differences between the 2011 Chevy and Ford. They are nowhere near the same truck, however that is why the Ford is going to cost you more as well. 10 Years from now there will be a lot more 2011 F250/F350 trucks still out there as compared to the others. Look around you now and note how many older Crew Cab F series are running up and down the road.

If you haven't got to drive a 2011 F250/F350 go do it and then stop by and drive the GM. The F series extend-able, fold-able chromatic mirror opton alone would almost make up my mind not counting all the other features.

Nothing against GM at all as they do have a good truck for sure. We have run them in the past.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm glad I don't have to make a choice. I like my trusty old 2004 1st Edition Duramax. She's got all the power I need, she's paid for and she's comfortable. More rear leg room than any other crew cab including the new GM's and the rear saets fold to a flat floor. Nuff said...

mikeandconnie

I agree, I miss my old GMC. It rode like a cadillac and I like the body style much better.
I'm glad I don't have to make a choice. I like my trusty old 2004 1st Edition Duramax. She's got all the power I need, she's paid for and she's comfortable. More rear leg room than any other crew cab including the new GM's and the rear saets fold to a flat floor. Nuff said...

caissiel

I did like my old 6.5L because it did ride like a caddy and had the comfort of one. But the seats were trash compared to my ford buckets. with almost the same mileage the driver seat is still as solid as new, though it only has the manual lumbar supprt compared to the Chevy air pump.