would like to see a front living room unit

kyleigh01

I would like to see a big horn with a front living room.. Double doors, a larger bathroom, and a rear bedroom with lots of clsoet and dressers, would like to see one door in the bedroom , and one door coming into the kitchen, montana jsut come out with one like this but screwed up in a few places, most of there screw up were in the bedroom with not enough closet and dresser space and no night stand to put stuff on.. If this is something that you can build i would be interested in buying one...

jbeletti

Thank you for your input. We're curious as to how many people really want a front living room floor plan. Like all floor plans, it has its merits.

Jim

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Saw a 2010 Montana (Keystone) rig that had a front living room, middle kitchen, walk-thru bathroom to the rear bedroom, 5 slider. The overall coach was right at 40 feet long. We did not like the step-up to the living room which had a smaller head room than a rear living area. This low ceiling feeling is due to the living area being over the basement/hitch pin and having to be raised higher than living room on the frame in the rear areas. Also, the kitchen area felt smaller than the L shape kitchens on the market today. It appeals to some people but to us, we really like the open floor plan of the Big Country 3250.

caissiel

Fleetwood now that HL has the Rights had a floor plan in more then one series that was very interesting, we were going to buy that model. looked for one for years but hard to find. The kitchen was huge and with double slides for couches on the 5th wheel. The unit was not so heavy neither could have pulled it with my 2500 GM 6.5L.

The rear bedroom also had an access to the porch (2 door version) as we had on our last 5th wheel. It was more like a TT then a 5th wheel. But we do prefer ours now.

ChopperBill

A few years back there were some front living rooms out. They disappeared. Dont think they sold well. My guess is the cycle will be repeated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The problem with the front living room is you lose the big picture window that is unless you have a 'flip up' front cap like the Alfa Gold 5er had.

2010augusta

never seen one before, but darn thats is odd looking.
122085_10334089_2006_Alfa_Gold.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We looked at the Montana and Alfa Gold. We thought it was a good idea but not practical. With the Alfa Gold you will need a MD to pull it. They are all wood construction. The Montana has the same headroom as the front bedroom model...less than 6' at the closet. Some of the front bedroom models are very front heavy.

JamesD

I like the FL Montana and Everest model that preceded it. The big drawback I saw was that the Montana hid the slide mechanism under the couches so you don't have chairs in the living room. The Everest didn't have a 2nd slide in the front and felt a little small in the living area. Wildcat makes a model that is almost a clone of the everest but I've never seen it in person.

Perhaps placing the couch or chairs at the front and the TV/entertainment center on a slide where the TV pops up would be a better approach.

What I like about the FL models:
Tall shower for tall people.
Good sized kitchen.
Tall bedroom makes dressing easier for tall people.

But to be honest, the current FL models aren't on my short list for a 5er when I buy.
I think it's a good idea but was poorly implemented.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What steered me away from the FL floorplan was the heavier pin weight. Then you start adding your personal stuff and OMG!!! Another downside is going up & down every time I need a beer or whatever. I suppose I could bring a cooler up front. ;-)

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have been a front bedroom SOB at a show. Nice idea but not really us. Too many stairs all the time.

One thing I would like to see is a "Full Time" or 4 season TT unit. I only know of one company building a unit like this. They even have a basement-a big one. There are a few advantages to a TT over a 5er including only one step up to a front living room.

back2nature

We saw Montana's front living in Nov. at the Pomona RV show. Interesting layout. Agree with kyleigh01, there wasn't enough closet space for such a large bedroom. I noticed that one side of the king bed was so close to the wall, you would have to crawl in to it. Their website drawing of the floorplan is deceiving, because it shows way more room than it really is. Didn't like that at all. And still no nightstands.

I think the living room height is a little low for tall people (we are a tall family). Although there is enough ceiling height, it seemed a little cramped. A little closed in. Lack of windows. Big issue, is no chairs. It's all couches, and DH hates couches. Needs a recliner. The salesperson said "sure, take out a couch and put recliners there". If the sliding mechanism is under the couches, it can't be changed. I noticed at the RV show, that I knew more about these RV's than the salesmen did. I can see some might like the floorplan. I might be good for some families with small kids. Sort of like a playpen area. I think couples, with no kids, want some recliners.

Anyway, not for us.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Looked at the M*ntana 3750 before upgrading to a Bighorn. The low overhead above the couches in the LR was the deal breaker for us. My wife knows me too well and said I would be hitting my head regularly. Glad we discovered Bighorn, which I feel is a definite upgrade in several areas from The aforementioned brand.

funntheson

I have been a front bedroom SOB at a show. Nice idea but not really us. Too many stairs all the time.

One thing I would like to see is a "Full Time" or 4 season TT unit. I only know of one company building a unit like this. They even have a basement-a big one. There are a few advantages to a TT over a 5er including only one step up to a front living room.

I assume you have towed a TT? I have had 2 tent trailers, 1 travel trailer, and I am waiting on my 2nd fifth wheel. I would never go back to a TT. A 30' TT would add the same length when towing as a 35' 5er. But, the biggest difference to me is how much easier, and less stressful it is to tow a fifth wheel.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I assume you have towed a TT? I have had 2 tent trailers, 1 travel trailer, and I am waiting on my 2nd fifth wheel. I would never go back to a TT. A 30' TT would add the same length when towing as a 35' 5er. But, the biggest difference to me is how much easier, and less stressful it is to tow a fifth wheel.

Keep in mind that this is just my opinion.

Yes, for many miles

Moose

Well, other than bedroom gymnastics, you wouldn't need all the head room of a rear BR. Most of the time is sleep time when headroom doesn't matter much. Whereas when you are in the rear LR you are normally awake and can therefore enjoy the headroom.

Front BR doesn't make sense or appeal to me. But, different strokes . . . .