Snowbird Question

J-W&E

When snowbirding and leaving home for 4 or 5 months do you shut of the main water valve, put anti-freeze in the traps and toilets or do you leave the water turned on? The furnace will be set at 55. Just wondering what most people do.

Thanks

Willym

I shut off my water, and depressurize the system. I also shutdown and drain my water heater. I don't put anti-freeze in my traps though, but I probably will this year, at least in the bathtub and shower traps which are hard to repair if they do crack. I also have a relative check the house every week when we are not there. I set my furnace to a low setting, about 13 C, and shut down my HRV. I set up my sump pump to auto pump in case we get a fast thaw before we return, I set up the discharge line so that it will slowly drain back to the sump after the pump shuts off. This stops it from freezing solid should the weather go cold again.

bdb2047

I leave heat at 55 do not turn all water off.House is checked every7-10 days .Have a phone dialer,House Sitter, it will call 3 phones if temp gets below or above set points,power off also has a water sensor.

vangoes

I always turn water off when we leave home for a trip.....even in the summer. Water leaks can happen (ie. ice maker lines, etc) at anytime and will cause significant damage in a short period of time. When we fly south for the winter, we turn off water, turn off hot water heater circuit breaker, and leave furnace on 45 degrees.

Paul & Nan

We were gone 8 months starting last December, left 2 houses at +/- 55, no problems. We did have someone checking regularly. Did not drain/turn off. Will be gone 4 months this year, same plan. Did leave cabinet doors open in kitchen and bathrooms so heat could get to lines there. Thinking to turn heat a bit lower this year, like 45-50. Nan

olyfire

We always turn off the water and water heater plus turn down the heat to 50 to 55 even if we are leaving for a couple of days.
Friends of ours had their hose on the washing machine pop while they were gone just two weeks. It destroyed most of the flooring, sheet rock, heat ducts, furnace some of the furniture. They were out of their home 8 month and of course their home owners insurance went up considerably.
To us it's just not worth the risk.