Oven dead

davelinde

We may be unusual... but we use our oven. Last night it died and this is an issue.

I noticed the pilot was hard to light but I eventually got it lit. However over night the pilot went out and will not light again. At first I thought I'd lit it but then I realized I'd actually lit the coupling behind the pilot (seemed it was leaking?). Now no matter what I try, nothing lights. The stove works just fine so I assume that means I've got enough propane.

My guess is the thermocouple went? Is there a way to confirm that? I peaked in there and it sure seems like the only way to service the oven is to remove the whole thing? Any other issues you all have seen?

Not happy.... This is the umpteenth nuisance item that has failed on our unit. I was OK with a failure here/there after a few years, and did repairs as needed... but this is getting old. I don't know if we were just lucky on our first RV or unlucky on this one... the things that are failing seem like common parts used by everyone :(

PS - a hint for Heartland. I did several years in component QC in another industry. We held our suppliers to pretty rigid standards and measured them into production and after. I am pretty sure that others who bought without the same inspection and contracts we wrote were getting our QC rejects! Just sayin'...

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dave, how old is your Cyclone? I'm not sure...but I think that the oven has a 3 years warrenty.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We may be unusual... but we use our oven. Last night it died and this is an issue.

I don't know if we were just lucky on our first RV or unlucky on this one... the things that are failing seem like common parts used by everyone :(

PS - a hint for Heartland. I did several years in component QC in another industry. We held our suppliers to pretty rigid standards and measured them into production and after. I am pretty sure that others who bought without the same inspection and contracts we wrote were getting our QC rejects! Just sayin'...
I'm thinking if Heartland was buying rejects, even unknowingly, we would see a huge amount of failures on this forum. The problem you are describing is the first that I can think of. Have you checked with your dealer to determine if you may be under warranty?

davelinde

Dave, how old is your Cyclone? I'm not sure...but I think that the oven has a 3 years warrenty.

We have a 2009 - we are in our third year... didn't think about warranty longer than 12 months - that would be nice.

wrt to component quality... I think the oven is something that normally gets minimal use so issues could go unnoticed in many cases. For other components I've now replaced about half the light bulbs, both LED tail lights, two switches (landing gear and fuel station timer), sail switch on the furnace, and now the oven. These are not assembly defects, it's the HL supplier and not HL who let me down... I cannot believe the service life of all these things is supposed to be so short. Maybe I just had some bad luck - hard to guess without data beyond my personal experience.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have a 2009 - we are in our third year... didn't think about warranty longer than 12 months - that would be nice.

wrt to component quality... I think the oven is something that normally gets minimal use so issues could go unnoticed in many cases. For other components I've now replaced about half the light bulbs, both LED tail lights, two switches (landing gear and fuel station timer), sail switch on the furnace, and now the oven. These are not assembly defects, it's the HL supplier and not HL who let me down... I cannot believe the service life of all these things is supposed to be so short. Maybe I just had some bad luck - hard to guess without data beyond my personal experience.

You might check with the manufacturer of the oven. Many components in an RV have more than a 12 month warranty. The 12 month warranty is from Heartland.

davelinde

You might check with the manufacturer of the oven. Many components in an RV have more than a 12 month warranty.

OK... I've got spare time now - any advice on "oven won't light" before I get DW to call the manufacturer? I cannot get the pilot to light at all now (and yes... I assume I've got gas since the stove lights/burns full out). So it seems something's stuck closed and won't let any gas run? If it looked easier to pull apart I'd disassemble - but it is not clear how it comes apart? Ugh.....

davelinde

You might check with the manufacturer of the oven. Many components in an RV have more than a 12 month warranty.

Got side tracked fixing my converter/charger (the list of minor early life failures grows...) so now back to the stove. Found the paperwork and it only has a 12 month warranty. I can't find an exploded parts diagram or much info on the stove on-line, still not even sure what to start pulling apart or trying to test. I suspect the valve and thermocouple for the pilot failed but I'm not sure how to prove that or how to replace that...

DougS

Doug S
If you have a digital Volt meter that reads millivolts you can test it. Disconnect the tube from the gas valve and alligator clip the meter to the end of the thermocouple. The other lead clips to the copper tubing itself. With the pilot running, you should get above 15 millivolts and it may read up to about 20 millivolts. If the reading is steady and goes back to 0 when the pilot is turned off then the thermocouple is OK. You can use a lighter to simulate pilot light.
Sometimes cleaning the disconnected end of tube with steel wool works to remove any corrosive material. This should be able to be done from the top of the stove without removing oven. Make sure connection is tight after test.