leak

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Arrived at Ocean Lakes Campground this morning, and had a slight problem. When my wife washed dishes, water leaked onto the ground. Also water was running out from under the fridg. Took the furnace vent off and found the problem. The drain had come loose from the flex pipe. Reconnected it and problem solved.I think I remember reading on this sight that others have had this same problem. Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening again?

jbeletti

Terry,

In my unit Mt. Rushmore (s/n 378), when I too had a similar leak early on, when it was repaired, they made sure to install clamps to clamp down each side of the flex to PVC transition in order to isolate the connection from some flexure. A short section of wood 2x2 was screwed to the floor and the clamp screwed to the wood.

Jim

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
Terry,

In my unit Mt. Rushmore (s/n 378), when I too had a similar leak early on, when it was repaired, they made sure to install clamps to clamp down each side of the flex to PVC transition in order to isolate the connection from some flexure. A short section of wood 2x2 was screwed to the floor and the clamp screwed to the wood.

Jim
I have the wooden block with the hose clamp screwed into it, but the ring that screws onto the flex pipe connection had pulled off the pvc connection. I popped it back on and made the connection again. The flex pipe has almost bent flat from the slide moving in and out. The water still drains but I can see where I can have a drainage problem someday. Will need to work on a fix.

jbeletti

Hi Terry,

With the earlier units with the sink in the slide room, Heartland used a super-heavy-duty tubing that was a bit too rigid for the bend radius we see in that slide. I forgot to mention the the balance of my fix included the replacement of that more rigid flex hose with one that was less-rigid/more flexible. I suggest that you contact the warranty department to see if a fix kit is available.

Jim

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
Hi Terry,

With the earlier units with the sink in the slide room, Heartland used a super-heavy-duty tubing that was a bit too rigid for the bend radius we see in that slide. I forgot to mention the the balance of my fix included the replacement of that more rigid flex hose with one that was less-rigid/more flexible. I suggest that you contact the warranty department to see if a fix kit is available.

Jim
Thanks Jim. Do you have a number for them? I looked at it a little closer yesterday and decided that the tubing being to rigid was the problem. Was going to lowes to find out what they have for a fix, but I will call the warranty dept. first.Thanks again.

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
Hi Terry,

The number is in the post at this link.

Jim
Thanks again Jim. I called the customer service ,number that is in the owners manual,they gave me the warranty service number, I called them, and they told me that there is no fix. So I guess I will go to Lowes Home Improvement and see what I can find.If you do not mind me asking,what did you use?

jbeletti

Terry,

My unit was under warranty at the time so I am not sure what was used other than a more flexible hose. Heartland did the repair. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the repair.

Jim

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
Terry,

My unit was under warranty at the time so I am not sure what was used other than a more flexible hose. Heartland did the repair. Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the repair.

Jim
That's fine. I am sure that Lowes will have something.

ct0218

I think my drain is a section of spa hose, fairly stiff material. So far, no problem. Maybe a longer or shorter section would work, or change to a different diameter if you can find a smaller, more flexible hose. It will probably be just a matter of time before I face this myself--this material gets stiffer with age.

trdeal

ct0218 said:
I think my drain is a section of spa hose, fairly stiff material. So far, no problem. Maybe a longer or shorter section would work, or change to a different diameter if you can find a smaller, more flexible hose. It will probably be just a matter of time before I face this myself--this material gets stiffer with age.
I think I need a longer more flexable piece. Anyway,my wife wants to go shopping after Church tomorrow. There is a Lowes home improvement near by. I will let her shop, and I will take the hose with me and see what i can find. And yes it does look like a spa hose. I tried to straighten out the kink in my hose but it was to stiff.

jbeletti

Terry,

Be sure to also pickup the correct adhesive to glue your new pipe to the PVC near the sink. The stuff used in my rig was black (tar like in color). There is also a clamp in the sink cabinet to isolate flexing at the joint you'll make in that cabinet.

Jim

trdeal

Jim Beletti said:
Terry,

Be sure to also pickup the correct adhesive to glue your new pipe to the PVC near the sink. The stuff used in my rig was black (tar like in color). There is also a clamp in the sink cabinet to isolate flexing at the joint you'll make in that cabinet.

Jim
I took the pipe off this afternoon. I will take it with me so I can show them what I need.