Valve stems too short for TPMS

Hoosier Wolverine

I recently had a new set of G614 tires mounted on the original rims that came on my Big Horn. After bringing the BH home I noticed the metal valve stems were too short to mount TPMS sensors. The rims have a small counterbore where the valve stems mount. The counterbore is smaller than the diameter of the sensors.

I haven't purchased the TPMS yet, so I'm wondering what my options are. Will I have to take the trailer in for new longer valve stems, or are there some sort of extensions available?

Just looking for advice...thanks
John

caissiel

I have the Hawkshead sensors on my wheels they are smallest I have seen. They fit on my BC Aluminum rims with not mush clearance. They also supply the metal valve stems.

My TPMS are within the wheel rim protected in case of hitting a curb.

Longer stem might expose the sensors outside the rim.

RoadJunkie

I haven't purchased the TPMS yet, so I'm wondering what my options are. Will I have to take the trailer in for new longer valve stems, or are there some sort of extensions available?
John

John, have you established for certain that the sensors will not fit? Since you indicated you have not yet bought any sensors yet, did you try some to determine they don't fit? I'm curious because I did buy a set of TST sensors but have not yet installed them because the rig is in the shop. Now I wonder if mine will fit.

Pat McFall

I recently had a new set of G614 tires mounted on the original rims that came on my Big Horn. After bringing the BH home I noticed the metal valve stems were too short to mount TPMS sensors. The rims have a small counterbore where the valve stems mount. The counterbore is smaller than the diameter of the sensors.

Just looking for advice...thanks
John

Good morning John,

We have only had one other customer that had really short valve stems and an opening so small they couldn't get their PressurePro Sensors to screw on. They bought some good quality, short (1 1/2") extensions from Myer's Tire Supply and that has worked for them for several years. However, PressurePro does NOT recommend using extensions unless you absolutely have to. The best and most trouble free way would be to have longer valve stems installed on your tires no matter which tire monitoring system you buy.

If I can answer any further questions, give me a call or PM me. My phone number is 850-294-0281.

Safe Travels, Pat

Last edited:

Hoosier Wolverine

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm still hopping around the internet looking at options, without yet deciding on a brand to purchase. Most websites don't list sensor dimensions, so I'm still unsure about that facet. I DID find a diameter for PressurePro on their website (1.11"). I also measured the counterbore on my rims. It measures .855", so it looks like I'm going to have to either install longer valve stems or check into extensions.

RoadJunkie...No, I haven't actually tired any for fit, but based on my measurement, I doubt they'll fit.

GOTTOYS

Discount tire wanted $50.00 to change my rubber valve stems to the proper metal ones to work with my TPMS. I didn't think that was too bad but decided to put that towards a new set of real tires at the same time...JMHO..Don

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Our previous SOB needed longer stems. Got them from Haltec The TST sensors fit on the stock stems of our new Big Country.

Dave012

Good morning John,

We have only had one other customer that had really short valve stems and an opening so small they couldn't get their PressurePro Sensors to screw on. They bought some good quality, short (1 1/2") extensions from Myer's Tire Supply and that has worked for them for several years. However, PressurePro does NOT recommend using extensions unless you absolutely have to. The best and most trouble free way would be to have longer valve stems installed on your tires no matter which tire monitoring system you buy.

If I can answer any further questions or if you would like pricing info on the PressurePro System, give me a call or PM me. My phone number is 850-294-0281.

Safe Travels, Pat

I didn't think that commercial url's in signatures were allowed, or that commercial enterprises were allowed to solicit business on this forum?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I didn't think that commercial url's in signatures were allowed, or that commercial enterprises were allowed to solicit business on this forum?

As I understand it, Pat has permission to respond to TPMS questions on this Topic Thread. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks!