Chains or other traction devices?

danemayer

I'm planning a trip on Colorado highways (mostly interstates) in January.

Will conventional or low profile cable chains work ok on a Landmark Rushmore (ok meaning without damaging anything)?

If so, is there any advice about which axle to chain up for best results?

I'm looking at Security Chain Company Super Z6, SZ451, Cable Chain for Pickups & SUVs - a low profile device that is designed to work where clearance is minimal.

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Chai...UTF8&coliid=I1579QHTIWD8FP&colid=S8N7W1UCVKC6

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't know a lot about chains, never owned any, I thought they were for traction to get through the snow. I can't help wonder why you would put them on a trailer. Like I said, I don't know a lot, but if there was a chance for heavy snow I would not be towing, I'd parked.
Maybe someone with snow/chain knowledge will help out here.

Peace
Dave

loafer

Hey Dave how are you ?
Well the California highway patrol will make you chain up your trailer as well as your truck Coming over the Siskyou pass from Oregon into California. They even have guys who will put them on for you as you can rent them .I am assuming its for the braking aspect that the trailer tires get chained.
Just my thoughts

Bill

Boca_Shuffles

While I don't know a lot about chains, never owned any, I thought they were for traction to get through the snow. I can't help wonder why you would put them on a trailer. Like I said, I don't know a lot, but if there was a chance for heavy snow I would not be towing, I'd parked.
Maybe someone with snow/chain knowledge will help out here.

Peace
Dave

I got chains last year for the BH and the TV just in case I needed to get off an interstate and the next exit was ten miles away. Now that I have them, it has all good roads. I hope it stays that way.

Some states require that you have at least one set of chains on one of the braking axles on the trailer. Without the chains on the trailer, you might see your trailer passing your TV on a downhill grade.

Better to have them and not use them than to be sorry.

goodtruck

I know CO requiers chains. I would buy a real cheep set just to show the police. Becuse if chains are required to drive I will find a place to park.Too many years on the road to take a chance on what can happen on snow and ice.

jnbhobe

I agree with Dave; Why use chains?? on a trailer. really won't do much for you, just back off the brake control. If the roads are that bad PARK IT !!!

danemayer

I agree that in heavy snow, waiting is the best prescription and my hope is to drive on a dry road surface. However, I've driven autos on I-70 west from Denver to Frisco many times where the east side of the mountain was clear, but the west side had icy/snowy conditions for 2 or 3 miles going down a very steep incline. It's tough to keep things under control in a car. I expect it'll be a lot more challenging with 14,500 lbs behind me.

I'm planning on going downhill in lower gears at low speed, but if braking is needed, chains on the trailer wheels would help avoid the rear end of the trailer from losing road contact and starting to slide sideways.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I have never use chains myself. I'm not sure if I would be pulling in the snow. What I do know is...I have never seen any BIG OL' trucks with chains on the trailer tires. JMO

SmokeyBare

I've owned chains for autos but never put them on a trailer. In fact I questioned the idea as well.

Some one reminded me that over the road Semi Trailer tires are chained for stopping traction when weather requires they do so.

As far as working on a RV tire, sure providing they are correctly attached and as suggested in the OP, they are a low profile cable type or strap on type.

The chance the chains coming apart is where damage could occur. A loose link to a chain could make serious impact to the plastic wheel trim or the wheel well area of the RV. If your determined to travel in those conditions I would hope you allow enough time to wait out the snowy conditions and select a less risky travel day.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Us Texans have been skiing many times during Thansgiving, Christmas and Spring Break in Colorado, and have had to travel in less than ideal conditions. Many times the roads turn bad when you least expect it. Mountain passes are especially bad. If you get caught 'out in it' it's best to be prepared. Lots of times there's not a good place to pull over and park.

One time we left Breckenridge in light snow, at 11am to get to Denver (60 miles away) for a 5pm flight.... Thanks to traffic and accumulating snow that practically shut down the highway... We missed it!

Duramax1

From another website, the California rules are:

• All vehicles, including four wheel drive vehicles, that
are towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle.
• Trailers with brakes must have chains on one axle.
• Front wheel drive vehicles must have chains on
front (drive) axle.
• On any semi-trailer, only one set of chains is required
regardless of number of axles.
• Chains are not required on tag axle.

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ChainRequire.pdf

From that same website the explanation given as to why semi trailers are not required to chain up their trailer wheels is because truckers do not use their trailer brakes rather they rely upon their jake brakes for descending hills.