Question about ceiling vent screens

patrick1945

I need to remove, clean, lubricate and replace the screens in my ceiling vents but am not sure how to remove them. Do I begin with the cranks and what kind of lubricant do you suggest?

SmokeyBare

Remove the Crank handle, then look closely for the heads of 2 screws, one near the crank and the other on the opposite side.

They are small Phillip head screws, you will need a thin long Phillips screwdriver to reach them.

They are found deep inside the plastic frame edge of the screen and the frame that covers the ceiling edge. This will allow you to remove the screen frame.

The Gear Box isn't able to be opened but it should have grease inside. Use your favorite light machine oil or silicone dry lube spray would be my suggestion. No reason to use a heavy grease that will only attract dust.

Marv

Wharton

If we are talking about the Fantastic Fan screens they just pop out(maybe untwist). At least our does on our 2011 BH. No unscrewing needed.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
If you have the standard crank vents like many of us they do start to bind in a year or so. Spraying a silicone lube didn't work for me.
First remove the crank handle, remove the 4 screws that hold the plastic frame to the ceiling and remove the frame. Remove the 2 screws holding the crank gear case to gain access to the gears (apply a low temp white grease to the gears with a Q-tip).

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Most likely it will be the bathroom vent that starts to stick first. I noticed the one in ours was getting stubborn last summer. Another touch-up maintenance item for next spring.

Removing the screens from the inside of the trailer is the easiest way to clean stuff, like dead bugs, dust, whatever, that collects on top of it.

Bobby A

not trying to highjack this thread but since we are talking about vent screens, anyone know if its possible to quiet down the fan motor ?? ours in the toilet room will rattle your filling in your teeth. It has not always been that loud.

Wharton

If it is a Fantastic Fan call them up for a new fan. If not, I would recommend switching to a Fantastic Fan. They are a great company to deal with and have the best fans in the business.

Willym

not trying to highjack this thread but since we are talking about vent screens, anyone know if its possible to quiet down the fan motor ?? ours in the toilet room will rattle your filling in your teeth. It has not always been that loud.

If your fan is the non-Fantastic type, then the fan impeller may be out of balance - I've seen them lose chunks, or become distorted. You could try a new one from an RV parts store. They are inexpensive. Take the old impeller with you as there are a couple of different types.

Bobby A

If your fan is the non-Fantastic type, then the fan impeller may be out of balance - I've seen them lose chunks, or become distorted. You could try a new one from an RV parts store. They are inexpensive. Take the old impeller with you as there are a couple of different types.

Yes,it is NOT the fantastic fan, I will try to find a new motor, thanks for the tip on taking the blade with me. I also agree with the other post, Fantastic fan is a GREAT company to deal with, probably the best parts supplier thats on our coaches. Dometic needs to take some lessons on customer service from Fantastic Fan.