The Dome Setup

dixdaman

Hi there, not sure if this has been covered before, our MPG 180 is stored for the winter and we have not used it. We ordered it with the Dome attachment and I decided to bring the attachment into the basement in anticipation of next summer's setup.
I had a tent attachment on a hardtop camper a few years ago and it was awkward and quite difficult to set up. I am not a "technical" type and have some concerns about the dome. However, having looked it over out of the box and actually taking the time to read the directions, it appears to be relatively simple. (I hope I don't regret that statement.);)
Do any of you have any experiences with the dome and could you share your thoughts to make my life easier when the time comes for the inaugeral installation?
Thanks.

kb0zke

We don't actually have our mpg yet, but will be picking it up in two weeks. The dealer is giving us an option on the dome tent, with the suggestion that we try the trailer without it first, and see if we want it. Did you happen to notice where the dome is made? That may make a difference for us, since we try to avoid buying anything made in China.

dixdaman

I understand what you are saying...I just had a quick look and don't see a country of origin on the label. I recall the box that it came in
said China. It is a Dometic which I believe is an Indiana Company. Sadly, it is very difficult to find anything of this nature made in North
America.
My initial thoughts were that the quality looked pretty good on this product, however a few times used will tell the tale. We always felt
that anything made in USA or Canada is worth the extra price because of the quality and naturally keeping people at home working.

MPG185-GA

We have the dome and have used it several times.....a few thoughts:

1. It was not made for the body of the MPG so consequently it "fits" sort of....There will be gaps on each end as the curvature of the MPG makes a good fit difficult. I use shock chords to pull it as tight as possible around the edges of the MPG.
2. The bottom piece needs to be cut into at least three sections to fit around the wheel, behind the step and along the frame rail. I use some strong magnets to attach it to the frame.
3. You need a step ladder or something tall enough to move it along the track. Also, you must be careful as during setup it can come out of the track on the ends as the dome is much longer than the track.
4. I added a center post at the main entrance. If you have the dome stretch out tight to prevent rain from collecting, the main zipper door becomes very difficult to operate. With the additional support at the middle...problem solved.
5. The placement of the outside support beams to the outside edges of the MPG has to be placed precisely as they just barely fit.
6. Spray some silicon lubricant into the track prior to sliding in the dome...works much better!!
7. Can be installed by one person, but having two will make it much, much, much easier.....

Overall we have enjoyed the dome. Been thru some decently strong storms with no issues. I have heard that these may come in different sizes and a smaller version may fit the MPG better. I am still interested in the "flying wing" awning that is available for the T@b and may look at getting one of those as well for just a quick awning an a fully enclosed room is not needed.

ENJOY!

dixdaman

MPG 185;
Thanks very much for your interesting post.
Some very good ideas, the magnets I never thought of using them. Do you use the strip magnets or the strong earth magnets?
I'm not certain, but the track for the dome on our 180 appears to be pinched on
the left side, which I believe will stop it from going beyond the track. I will start the
feed into the track on the right hand side and feed left. I was thinking of shock
cords to tighten it. Please keep in mind, I am speaking without having set up the unit and I will have to see what you mean by tightening it. I will have to look at the bottom piece that you mention will have to be cut. The step ladder, good suggestion, thanks. A few questions;
1. What did you use for a centre post and how did you attach it?
2. The outside support beams you refer to, do you mean the top side posts going perpendicular to the MPG but on the inside of the dome? My quick survey showed the beams as being extendable, just not sure what you mean. (Sorry)
3. After my wife and I do this a couple of times, I hope it will be relatively simple and reasonably quick. How long do you take to set up?
5. Is there a silicon lubricant you would recommend?
6. Is there any provision to leave it in the channel when you are travelling to avoid feeding it through the channel every time you set up?
Thanks again MPG 185 for your excellent post. It has been very helpful.
I live in Eastern Canada and it is snowing here tonight, I will be a few months away from trying the setup before my wife and I go camping in the MPG.
/

MPG185-GA

1. I had an adjustable pole from other camping stuff and just use it in the middle of the main entrance (front). I made a little "cup" on the end that grabs the shock chord rod (the one that forms the dome in the front) and it secures itself with the downward pressure of the dome. You can get adjustable poles from just about any camping/outdoor store.
2. Yes the outside support beams that run perpendicular. It is the placement of the end of these beams onto the side of the MPG that is critical. The ends attached into the factory sockets of the dome fabric, but they are held into place by the pressure exterted onto the side of the MPG. And there is little room for margin as the factory installed sockets are very near the outside edges of the MPG. Once you erect the dome you will see. You just have to be in the right spot along the track to make the two outside beams hit the outside edge of the MPG.
3. Yes, practice makes it better!
4. Not sure what silicon would be best, I just bought some RV silicon from Walmart.
5. I think you will have to feed it thru each time. If you solve that one, please let me know!

mcota

We have a slightly smaller dome than the option that is sold with the MPG. It is built into a bag that attaches to the MPG. We do not have to slide it in and out of the track every time. We tried the bigger one first, but we were unhappy with having to slide it in and out every time. We weren't sure how long the track would hold up. We've used it several times and are very please with our decision.

mcota

Thanks mcota, sounds interesting. Any pictures or other information you could share on your dome setup?

100_0351.jpgSorry this has taken so long - computer problems.

Here is a picture of the dome on the MPG. Set up is just like the one that Dometic makes for Heartland only you don't have to slide it in and out of the track every time. It is a little smaller, though. (This is one 13ft. - I'm not sure how big the one that is an MPG option is.) The sides come down between the door and the storage compartment in the back and between the two storage compartments in the front. We towed it 11,000 miles this summer and the porch held up well.

dixdaman

Thanks mcota, that is pretty neat. Is the rear end of the track pinched so the dome won't slide thorough and off the track when your travelling?
Your picture has given me a few ideas to consider this spring when we hook up our dome for the first time. You say you put 11,000 miles on this summer,
I am curious about the set up time with the dome attached after you had set it up a few times and you were familiar with mechanics of the operation.
Thanks again, great picture, I am going to go back to the drawing board and see what I can come up with for next summer.
By the way, after putting that many miles on the trailer last summer, are you happy with the MPG?
Merry Christmas, appreciate your response.

mcota

The bag is held in place with a small screw on one end. It takes 10 minutes or so to put up and take down.
This is our first camper and enjoyed having it this summer. It sure beats a tent. It did have to go back to the factory for some extensive repairs. The dealer and Heartland both stepped up to the plate and it is like new again. The only hassle was pulling it 3 hours to the dealer and going to pick it up.

dixdaman

Hello Big T drop;
I will give the forum a full report once I have used the dome a few times. Sadly, I am not long on
patience with these things. If I don't understand it and have not reasonably mastered the up and
down in the first four or five tries, there just might be a dome for sale cheap.(ha)
I really think for our style of camping it is the right option for my wife and me. If it doesn't co-operate
we will consider other alternatives. We look forward to meeting other MPG campers this summer.
Merry Christmas to you and your family and all members of the forum, may the new year be kind to
and smile on each of you.

teragram

Hi Dixdaman,
We just bought MPG 181 yesterday and are super excited. We purchased the dome awning it was a big selling point to me. I am nervous about the installation as well but will not have the trailer for a few weeks either. I noticed you are in NB we are in Halifax NS. Looking forward to getting on the road. :O)

jimtoo

Hi teragram,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new MPG. When you go for PDI or delivery, be sure and do a really good inspection.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

NMMPG

Thank you for all the information about the dome awning. How much should I expect to pay for the awning?

brains77396

MCOTA, could you please supply some info about where you purchased your dome. I saw one on the Dometic web site but do not know if it is the same as the one you have.Right now I use the track to hold a 12 ft rope light for night use. Tent wise all we have is a 10 X 10 Easy Up. We like it because we can move it to where ever we need it, usually over the picnic table.

NMMPG

I spoke with a person in the parts department at the RV dealership in town and he said that Dometic only sells to businesses. Therefore, I need to order the awning from the dealership. I am waiting for him to call me back with a price.

MCOTA, could you please supply some info about where you purchased your dome. I saw one on the Dometic web site but do not know if it is the same as the one you have.Right now I use the track to hold a 12 ft rope light for night use. Tent wise all we have is a 10 X 10 Easy Up. We like it because we can move it to where ever we need it, usually over the picnic table.