White Deer

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a white deer eating at my fence. We saw another one a couple of years ago but in case you have never seen one I have attached a photo. It is not the greatest but the best I could do without spooking her off. She is about 8 months old.

Attachments

• White Deer 1.jpg
    White Deer 1.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 155

loafer

Very cool
Could be one of Santas , feeding up for the big pull LOL
Thx for sharing very unusual
Bill

lwmcguir

We have a nephew that has a white doe for a pet. In our area we are over run with white tail and mule deer. Never seen a white one of either species in the wild though. Neat to see.

jmgratz

More info on this white deer. During the summer the White Tail Deer are normally a tan color and their coat darkens to a dark gray (almost black) with dark brown in the winter. This particular deer has a twin sister that is the normal color. Two years ago DW saw a big white buck down the street and we presume he mated with this one's mother. We put corn out for the deer along our fence (hunting is not allowed in our subdivision) and we normally have about 17 deer that frequent our fence feeding area. They are very used to my feeding and usually watch me put out the corn in the morning. We saw this fawn and his sister this summer and they both had their spots so we knew about when they were born. The white one was very light tan with an all white tail this summer and when she lost her spots her coat turned white. It is really very cool but the trouble is they don't live long since they make such a good target. We are hoping this one makes it to maturity. BTW the Bucks (we have a 6 pointer and a spike and a 4 pointer in the group) are running solo right now courting the does. If we are lucky we will have a good crop of fawns next summer.

Today there were 7 does and 2 bucks eating with an untold number of crows and squirrels. The trees are also in full color here in East Texas now too.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I have never seen one in real life...I did come across THIS video a few weeks ago! Enjoy her while she is around!

jmgratz

I have never seen one in real life...I did come across THIS video a few weeks ago! Enjoy her while she is around!

Very interesting. Guess we have "Snowbird deer" since that white one is in Texas for the winter LOL

bozo

JMGratz, Great photo you are very lucky to be able to have this deer so near your house. The reason they are not saw very often or very long is they are a very rare trophy for a deer hunter. They are called PIEBALD deer. If you type PIEBALD DEER on line you will see many pictures of these rare deer. Some even have Pink eyes like albino people and animals. I have only saw two in the wild in my life time here in North Georgia. We live in a wildlife sanctuary and my wife feeds 20 -30 deer in our back yard the only problem is when we are gone camping they eat every plant (Wifes Flowers) that we have LOL. Take as many Pics as you can they are special deer. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bozo

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Very cool
Could be one of Santas , feeding up for the big pull LOL
Thx for sharing very unusual
Bill

Nope, not mine. Besides I only use reindeer to pull my sleigh, not white deer. They don't have the stamina to last thoughout the nite on Christmas eve.

santa

jmgratz

JMGratz, Great photo you are very lucky to be able to have this deer so near your house. The reason they are not saw very often or very long is they are a very rare trophy for a deer hunter. They are called PIEBALD deer. If you type PIEBALD DEER on line you will see many pictures of these rare deer. Some even have Pink eyes like albino people and animals. I have only saw two in the wild in my life time here in North Georgia. We live in a wildlife sanctuary and my wife feeds 20 -30 deer in our back yard the only problem is when we are gone camping they eat every plant (Wifes Flowers) that we have LOL. Take as many Pics as you can they are special deer. HAPPY CAMPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bozo

Thanks for that info. We will look it up. BTW the fence around our yard doesn't even slow the deer down. They go over it like it is not there. The fence is more to keep our dogs in and other dogs out. Deer have eaten our orange tree in our yard too. We quit trying to plant any plants as they just get eaten by deer and squirrels.

robnmo

They are neat to see, and indeed rare in most areas. They usually don't live too long in the wild, the white coloration is a genetic breakdown and they're usually more suseptable to illness and injury. There is actually a small population of them in one of the Northern states, but been awhile since I've seen the article, I want to say Wisconsin or Minnesota. As for them eating plants and shrubs..............good luck with that one, with the growing population of bambi's throughout the country, that's a next to impossible task, chemicals such as deer repel to hair clumps from beauty shops tied to plants have been tried, not much works.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Deer are neat to see in your backyard, but when you suddenly meet one in the dark on the freeway at 75 mph, their cuteness fades and they become big, brown rats.

As for an albino deer, you'd think it would be illegal to hunt them since they lack any form of camoflage, unless they're standing in a blizzard.