heat pump

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
About a month ago we had the second ac unit with heat pump added to our unit.On our recent trip to the beach, it worked great. Had a chance to use the second ac and the heat pump. We are glad we had the unit installed.

gawelsh

Heat pump

We have the 15000 BTU heat pump - do you think we'll need a 2nd unit? I guess time will tell.....

trdeal

gawelsh said:
We have the 15000 BTU heat pump - do you think we'll need a 2nd unit? I guess time will tell.....
Our main unit is not the heat pump. I did not give it a thought when we ordered our unit. We have been at the beach over the 4th of July for 2 years now now with our Mt. Rushmore and have made it ok. We have kept the shades pulled and the bedroom door closed. I have never been really satisfied with the cooling. Now I know it was not 90 degrees this past week at the beach, but it was 70, and the second unit cooled the camper nicely.We are well satisfied wife the heat of the heatpump. We used the furnace some at night,because it was in the low 30's, but the heat pump kept us nice and cozy.

ct0218

Terry
How low was the outside temperature before the heat pump stopped heating and you switched to the furnace? Mine seems to stop around 42 to 45 degrees, and goes in to an extended defrost cycle. The front unit does about the same. They put out a lot of heat right up until they shut down. Just curious if mine is not up to par.

trdeal

ct0218 said:
Terry
How low was the outside temperature before the heat pump stopped heating and you switched to the furnace? Mine seems to stop around 42 to 45 degrees, and goes in to an extended defrost cycle. The front unit does about the same. They put out a lot of heat right up until they shut down. Just curious if mine is not up to par.
The lows were in the low to mid 30's I do remember the unit cutting off one night around midnight and then cranking back up again around 8:00. So that sounds about right.

ct0218

The problem I have is that both units are heat pumps and they quit in the middle of the night and you have to get up and manually switch the thermostat to furnace to get heat. Wouldn't be so bad if it switched to the furnace automatically, and I thought I read somewhere that it did, but mine hasn't switched.

trdeal

My main unit is not a heat pump. So I kept it set on furnace and on about 70 degrees. We kept the heatpump in the bedroom running, so when it cut off the main unit came on when needed. Now,had the temp. been colder outside I would have run the furnace more to heat the underneath.

jpmorgan37

Clark;
My 15k heat pump switches automatically to the furnace somewhere around the freezing point. Depending on the humidity in the air, sometimes it will go into the defrost cycle as high as 40 degrees. My 13,5 k doesn't connect to the furnace. I have run it as low as 27 degrees but it isn't very effective below freezing. I have the wall mounted thermostats on both units (no remote). I don't know if that makes a difference or not. We love our heat pumps.
John

ct0218

John, I believe we have the same setup, but mine does not switch and it certainly doesn't heat anywhere near that low a temp. I know somewhere I read a section that stated the thermostat automatically switched to furnace when it got too cold for the heat pump. In the low 40's it sounds like it is going into defrost, that seems to go on forever, but it never starts heating again until it warms up. Guess I need to get it checked out by a mobile RV service before my warranty is up. My biggest gripe is having to get up and switch it!

jpmorgan37

Clark;
I read somewhere that it was supposed to switch at 35 degrees. Mine waits until about 32 but it does it automatically. We live on the heat pumps and two little heaters. I am on my second cylinder of propane since last February and most of that was used for cooking. We keep it in the 72 - 73 degree range inside. It's high 30's outside now with low humidity and it hasn't gone into the defrost mode all night.
John

trdeal

As I said in my earlier post, the heat pump feature was not something that I thought about for our main unit,or did I give the second unit a thought when we ordered our 5th. I think I did my homework in every other area before we ordered,but If I had thought a little more about the air and heat I would have ordered both. Since my second unit is an add on,it does not have the wall mounted thermostat,be nice if it did.