Water hose

Jburks

Other than going south for the winter, how does everyone address the freezing water hose issue? I have looked at freeze proof hoses but a little to pricey. Can a standard water hose withstand heat tape?

2010augusta

Ours does. Another option depending on if you move a lot or if you stay in one place, is to make a PEX line to go from the UDC to the spigot.

Jburks

Thanks Alan, we don't fulltime yet but we hate to quit using our rv to early. We have been looking for a way to keep the water flowing.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
You could disconnect the hose before retiring and reconnect it in the morning. This isn't a long term solution but one we have used in a pinch.

Wharton

With the threat of freezing we switch to the tank and disconnect the hose, just use it to fill up the tank.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
With the threat of freezing we switch to the tank and disconnect the hose, just use it to fill up the tank.
I have a great heated hose but found the "fill the tank method" worked out better. One park turned off the main water valve at night and another park disconnected my hose after dark so alot of good the heated hose did. Prices have come down on the quality made heated hoses this year.
http://cgi.ebay.com/K-H-THERMO-HEATED-HOSE-PVC-5-8-X-40-FEET-KH5041_W0QQitemZ330467626053QQcategoryZ20541QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D370427330899%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D5109499216262371028

Jburks

(I have a great heated hose but found the "fill the tank method" worked out better. One park turned off the main water valve at night and another park disconnected my hose after dark so alot of good the heated hose did. Prices have come down on the quality made heated hoses this year.)

That is is much better price than the one I found ($270.00), I will probably just fill the tank and not have to wonder if the water is going to be shut off during the night. Thanks everyone.

grizzlygiant

110v heat-tape on our water hose surrounded by foam pipe insulation works for us. Tape from Lowes about $35 plua insulation at $15.

Jburks

Found a 25' heated hose on Amazon for around $80.00 and got free shipping, that was more like what I expected. I think I will still fill the tank.

RoadJunkie

Do these heated hoses affect the water taste? Not because they are heated, but because of the hose material?

hoefler

I have a great heated hose but found the "fill the tank method" worked out better. One park turned off the main water valve at night and another park disconnected my hose after dark so alto of good the heated hose did. Prices have come down on the quality made heated hoses this year.
http://cgi.ebay.com/K-H-THERMO-HEAT...=370427330899&ps=63&clkid=5109499216262371028

That hose is not rated for drinking water.

I use a 20' length of Pex with a 25' heat tape, all taped up and ready to use. I use the excess heat tape to wrap around the water spigot to keep it from freezing. Total cost, about $35, and an hour to assemble.