30 amp for 4 months---issues??

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I do not think this should be a problem, but wanted to double check with you and get your advice (which has always been good!!!)
We will be volunteering at Joshua Tree NP for this winter. Their electric connection is 30 amps (we have a BH 3670). I have an adapter and a surge protector---any issues with 30 amps for 3-4 months?? I know we will not be able to run too many things at the same time or the breaker will trip--but how about the everyday things (refer, fireplace, furnace, etc) is it ok for them to run on 30 amps for the 3-4mo period?
We have stayed in campgrounds with 30 amp, but usually only for a week or so.
thanks
al

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Should not be a problem you are just limited in the amount of appliances and items that you can run at the same time. If there is a 110 outlet plug on the pole you might run an extension cord from it into the rig and plug in extra things like fireplace, tv etc. If you have a meter plugged in to the rig watch the power and if it drops you will have to turn off some items to keep it into the safe zone. If you drop into the red area on the meter's that CW has you could hurt something with not being able to supply enough power. Good luck and I am sure that more will chime in with ideas.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Al, You might have to experiment with various items to see how much amperage you need. If you use LP for hot water and the fridge, you should have no problems other than A/C. You probably won't be able to run both if you have two. As you probably know, 50 amp is two separate 110 lines, a 20 and a 30 amp feed. The parks pedestal more than likely only has a single 110 feed. You still shouold be able to safely use the extra 20 amp outlet in the pedestal. I would consider running the fridge off of that one. Just an extension cord into the back vent panel.

Joshua Tree is pretty cool. Do you have any idea how many hours you have to work? Lots to do down in the Valley. We were in Indio last winter. I guess you'll do most of your shopping up in 29 Palms. Have Fun!!!

jnbhobe

I don't think there will be any problems as long as you don't overload the circut. I have never taken the 50 amp cord out of my my unit.Its still hanging in the front compartment

branson4020

Icantre Member
Should not be a problem you are just limited in the amount of appliances and items that you can run at the same time. If there is a 110 outlet plug on the pole you might run an extension cord from it into the rig and plug in extra things like fireplace, tv etc. If you have a meter plugged in to the rig watch the power and if it drops you will have to turn off some items to keep it into the safe zone. If you drop into the red area on the meter's that CW has you could hurt something with not being able to supply enough power. Good luck and I am sure that more will chime in with ideas.

You can't really "hurt anything." We're not talking about creating a low-voltage sutuation here. All you can do is pop the circuit breaker. Also, it's likely the pedestal is a 30A service. That is, its fed from a 30A breaker in a main panel somewhere. It doesn't matter how many outlets you find at the pedestal, it can only supply 30 amps total. Plugging in multiple cords won't help.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Al, You might have to experiment with various items to see how much amperage you need. If you use LP for hot water and the fridge, you should have no problems other than A/C. You probably won't be able to run both if you have two. As you probably know, 50 amp is two separate 110 lines, a 20 and a 30 amp feed. The parks pedestal more than likely only has a single 110 feed. You still shouold be able to safely use the extra 20 amp outlet in the pedestal. I would consider running the fridge off of that one. Just an extension cord into the back vent panel.

Joshua Tree is pretty cool. Do you have any idea how many hours you have to work? Lots to do down in the Valley. We were in Indio last winter. I guess you'll do most of your shopping up in 29 Palms. Have Fun!!!

50A service is 240V. That's 2 50A legs at 120V each for total of 12kW available power. A 30A service is 1 120V leg for a total available power of 3.6kW.

Hoosier Wolverine

Al, I just spent a month in a state park that had only 30 Amp service. I had no problems except a couple times my DW used the microwave and some other kitchen appliance while the A/C was running, in which case it was only a matter of turning something off and resetting the pedestal breaker.

SmokeyBare

I often use 30 Amp with our Bighorn which has a 50 Amp power cable. I've never had any issues with tripping breakers. Often we'll have 2 Electric cube heaters running in the RV while were making dinner or I'm brewing a pot of coffee. Hardly ever run the Fridge on Propane and when were plugged into electric I always use that to power the hot water tank.

I doubt you will notice any problems. Providing your using a park power post with good connections.

Have a great time at your Volunteering service.

Marv

aatauses

Thanks everyone, you reassured me that we will be ok---Ray---normally the NP ask for 32 hrs/week for the use of a site, that is what the Everglades NP ask last winter when we were there.
al

hoefler

As you probably know, 50 amp is two separate 110 lines, a 20 and a 30 amp feed. The parks pedestal more than likely only has a single 110 feed. Joshua Tree is pretty cool.

This is incorrect! 50 amp service is 2 separate 50 amp circuits, essentially 220 volt 50 amp. 30 amp is 1 circuit, 110 30 amp.

Think about what you want to run.

watts / volts = amps

Coffee pot- 1500 watt = 12.5 amp 1500 watts/120 volts = 12.5 amp

Fireplace- 1500 watts = 12.5 amps

Hair dryer 1500 watts = 12.5 amps

Slow cooker 750 - 1500 watts = 6.25 - 12.5 amps

You get the picture, figure it all up and make an informed decision. I have seen many 30 amp cords with the hot probe on the plug discolored and melted around it from trying to run too many things on a 30 amp circuit.

ChopperBill

We are on our second Bighorn. NEVER had 'em plugged into 50 amp. I think our AZ site has 50amp this year. Time to try out our optional power reel(that I have never used)!

Northern Virginia
You can't really "hurt anything." We're not talking about creating a low-voltage sutuation here. All you can do is pop the circuit breaker. Also, it's likely the pedestal is a 30A service. That is, its fed from a 30A breaker in a main panel somewhere. It doesn't matter how many outlets you find at the pedestal, it can only supply 30 amps total. Plugging in multiple cords won't help.

I think it depends on the park. I have stayed at several state parks with 30 amp/120v RV receptacles and a separate 20 amp 120v GFI. After having tripped the 30 amp, I ran an extension cord to power the coffee pot or microwave and plugged into the 120/20amp. After I did that, I didn't trip anything else.

John

wdk450

Gang:
Just a reply to all of the people (correctly) posting that the 50 amp RV electrical service is, in reality, a split 220 volt service. The quote I have from the RV Electrical Systems website says that 220 volt devices are rarely used in RV's. Probably due to the fact that they would ONLY work when you are connected to a 50 amp RV service, and these are not universally availible. Anyways, here is the quote:

Another note on 50-amp service. Almost all RVs are wired such that the two 50-amp, 120-volt lines are used separately. In other words, some of the appliances are wired to one hot leg of the 50-amp service and the remaining appliances are wired to the other hot leg of the 50-amp service.