EReaders, what do you like,use,recommend?

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Linda has been looking at Ereaders and I think this might be my hint from her for Christmas. So, what do we look for? I have been looking hard at the Nook and liking the newer Color Nook only it does not have the 3G. Is this really important.

Thanks for any help,
Mark

dglatta

We use Kindles. Kathi and I each have one. I really like the ability to share across a variety of devices (iPod, computer, iPad, etc.) and the ability to share books with each other. Color is not that important to us since most of the things we read have no pictures! If color is important to you, you might consider an iPad and a free Nook or Kindle reader. More expensive, but also does much more than either a Kindle or a Nook!

My husband bought me a Kindle for my birthday and I love it. I take it with me everywhere, it even fits perfect in my purse. It can be used outside in the bright sunlight without any problems. Color isn't an issue with me. Everything I have ever wanted to read I have found available on Amazon.com and it is easy to download once you set up your account. It has become one of my favorite things. Hope this helps.

Wharton

I am goin through this exercise for myself. I really thought hard about the color Nook but it's battery life is pathetic. i have ended up with the 3G Kindle(at least it is on my list) due to a better screen, long battery life, ability to download pdf's to it(I have a ton of camping files that I keep in a notebook in the car, thought the Kindle would make it easier).

My only problem with the Kindle is that it doesn't accept the "public' formats for "free" pubic library books. Seems you can never have everything..............

arisce

Hi Mark,
I have had a Sony pocket reader for a year. It is the perfect reading/traveling device. They have e new version Sony ereader 350. As for 3G, I did not want it. So I only looked at devices without wireless. Colour was not important also. Very happy with my choice. I take to doctor's appointments or on the bus and of course traveling. No regrets.

skyguy

We're in favor of the Nook. It has Droid roots, and with some hacking will run apps. 3G for me, so I can check weather and address forums. Color is much harder on the eyes if you read for some time.

What bugs me is the price for ebooks! They cost a lot more than their printed counterparts. Why is that?

B&N sold almost 4,000 (!) refurbed 3g Nooks for $99 recently. I missed out on that. BUY DOT COM may still have some for not much more.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Maybe I am old fashioned but there is nothing like holding a real honest to goodness hardback book in your hands.

Boca_Shuffles

Another option is an iPhone. I read "Prince of Tides" on mine without any problem. The smaller screen lets you read about a paragraph at a time. Actually this is a feature if you get interrupted a lot. Easy to find where you left off.

Wharton

Thanks for the info on calibre. I didn't know anything like that existed. I'll have to try it..................

mrcomer

Thanks for all the input. I think I have been talked out of the color screen.

flamingknitter

I vote for the Kindle!! I bought the first one out and upgraded to the second version. Since then, I have given three for gifts and expect to give another one this Christmas. Have you checked CNET for ratings? Just a thought. I also read somewhere that Barnes and Nobles is on the market for sale related to financial woes. Not sure if that will impact the Nook, but it is concerning. Best Buy carries all three and has a nice display that would allow you to play with them. Lucky wife!! She will probably be thrilled with whichever one you get!!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Thanks Mark for starting this thread,and to others for weighing in with you advise.Renee is wanting an e reader for Christmas and I didn't know which way to go with it. I think I know now. Thanks

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I know absolutley nothing about about ereaders so I googled what they are.
I am sure most of you know about this site if you are into ereaders but I found it informative:
http://chamberfour.com/ereader-comparison/

I have no idea if the information is good or bad. I do have a question though for those into ereaders.
Why cant you just down load books onto your laptop or desktop? What is special about the ereader or than its size?

Wharton

I don't have one yet but the readability of the e-reader is much easier than the laptop, carrying a laptop to the doctor's office is a bit of an inconvenience besides the weight, you can read an e-reader in bright daylight, you don't have to carry around the weight of your books in your rig, and the battery life of the e-reader is much, much longer.

What I don't like about the e-reader is the price of e-books is almost the same as a hardback edition, though an e-reader can have 3500 books on it. I also like the feel of a book in my hand but that might be habit. There are also 2 million books that are free(out of copyright).

I haven't heard of one person who dislikes the e-reader, most rave about it. Amazon is selling more Kindle books that paper copies, that shows me the world is changing and we should probably change with it. Kind of like the cell phone, initially we resisted, now we don't know how we lived without it. Same with the computer, cars etc.

The e-reader also can do more than books. I know the Kindle can do pdf's and plan to download my rv pdf's to it and get rid of the notebook in the truck.

mrcomer

I really appreciate all the input here. This has been a great learning experience. Linda and I stopped down at the local Barnes & Noble to talk to someone there and we lucked into a "training" class that was already going on. They have training every Mon and Tues. evening. We got to talk to some current users and we were very pleased. There are a lot of positive aspects to the Nook over the Kindle that we learned. User replaceable battery, Android OS, Nook can use formats from your local library without any conversions, ability to read our Yahoo email and do some internet surfing (even though it is a black and white screen). And bonus, I found refurbs directly from B&N online at great prices. So for now I think a Nook will be in Linda's stocking this christmas.
Thank you all again for the input and have a great holiday.

Mark

PUG

Pug
Been researching e-readers with internet capability for several months and when I was about to spring a new one with better capabilities would come up. Finally I purchased the Nook Color for the wife's x-mas. It performs real well and this week I think it is the best. 3G-4G nah, it works fine. Next year 5G

wyleyrabbit

I can't believe I'm the only guy voting Apple iPad. I'm using mine right now. Not only a great e-reader (Amazon Kindle app is great, Apple iBooks is great too) but it's a great semi-general purpose device. You can browse the web, email, watch movies, listen to music, and play games, and view your pictures. There are wifi only and 3G versions available. I use mine for hours a day, and even read a bunch of magazines regularly.

Wharton

Isn't B&N in Chapter 11??? Also, the color Nook only has a 3-4 hour battery life, not 30 days like the Kindle.

I have a Kindle on my Christmas list and this morning was perusing Amazons free offerings for the Kindle. Apparently everyone is getting on the bandwagon where the free books are concerned. Amazon mentions that on several of the free book websites to download you must select the Kindle option.

FYI.