New Verizon Mobile Broadband Plans with 15% Discount.

DW_Gray

I discovered AlexSian's post this morning, “Verizon 3G service: $80/mo for 10GB”. Here is new information and a link.

I was looking around last night on my Verizon Wireless account online and discovered the new plans for the MiFi Hotspot. I was surprised and disturbed by this. I haven’t received any notice or seen any ad about this.

Not only did I upgrade from the $59.99 plan at 5GB/month for 3G USB Modems to the Mobile Hotspots Plan @ $80.00 for 10GB/month, I received a 15% monthly discount when I ordered online. So I only pay $68.00 per month for 10GB. If you didn’t know, all government employees and retired government employees are eligible for a 15% discount. That’s another thing Verizon isn’t forthcoming about. I didn’t learn about the government employee discount until my son started working for Verizon a few years ago. He no longer works there.

Here is more disturbing info. Before ordering online, I talked to a Verizon Rep and she told me that this plan doesn’t qualify for the 15% discount. This makes me wonder if these people are uneducated or are they told to lie to customers to make more money for the company.

Link to Verizon: https://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
We have the 3G MiFi and were paying 59.00 per month for 5G. By accident I went into a Verizon store in another state while camping and found out about the reduction in cost to 50.00 and also the 10G. I have cell through AT&T but had to get the MiFi through Verizon. Just another case of someone trying to get all they can. I wish that there was a rule where they had to contact anyone about reductions and increase in service. They sure do contact you when there is an increase in monthly cost..

boatdoc

Hey Dave, Please explain in normal non-computer, non-acronym dialict about this new deal. I don't know crud about this stuff but saving $10.00 a month and not giving the bigV anymore than I need to, sounds great. We have NOW, the USB727 that plugs into a Cradlepoint router at home to let the both of us be on the internet at the same time. She's laptop wireless and I'm ethernet wired on a PC. When we go South for 3 months just the laptop goes with the USB727 plugged into it. I don't have a clue what mifi is. If you don't mind explain and we don't need 10G a month. I'd PM you but I think there are many more on here that do the same thing.
Thanks

HappyKayakers

I'm retired military and get the 15% discount from Verizon on my cell phone, but not on the USB modem. I can't remember the exact wording for the discount but it's something like "applies only to primary line". I used to have ATT and they had the same discount. Neither company advertised that discount. I found out about it from other forum posts. (I can't believe how much money I've saved just by reading forums :D) My rule now is: I always ask folks for military discounts. The worst they can say is No.

Bobby A

Good topic,
I called Verizon the other day because I'm elegable now for the new every two on my USB727, the rep told me to wait till the first week of December because Verizon will be introducing the new 4G equipment.

DW_Gray

Boatdoc, bad news: As I understand it, you don't qualify for the new rates since you are using a USB Modem (USB727). The new rates are for Tablets, Mobile Hotspots, Netbooks & Notebooks only. The GOOD NEWS: Since you are using the discontinued USB727, I suspect you are ready for an upgrade. I'd recommend you upgrading to the MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot or the Fivespot™ Global Ready™ 3G Mobile Hotspot. With these, you won't need the Cradlepoint router anymore. You can connect up to 5 wireless devices to them. I have my computer, my wife's notebook and our wireless printer connected to the MiFi. The upgrade is free now with the purchase of the new plan. The two things I don't like about them is they don't have a port for connecting an external antennae and their speed is not as fast as I want.

Here is the link for more info about them. http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/...viewPhoneOverviewByDevice&deviceCategoryId=13

HappyKayakers, I know what they said, but I know what I purchased today and I have the receipt and it shows the discounted rate on my account. So if they attempt to renege, they'll have a fight from me.

Bobby,
I know about the new 4G debuting next month but it has a very limited area right now. Verizon 4G nationwide service won't be complete till 2013. It appears that only USB modems will be available for the 4G, not any hotspots like I told Boatdoc.

We'll have to wait and see. Having 2 different plans makes no since at all. I'll be glad when I can upgrade to the 4G because it will be about 10 times faster.

Last edited:

wdk450

Gang:
I just got on this cellular WiFi when my wife was in the hospital. I went to Best Buy, got the Verizon USB dongle for $100 (regular $299), and bought a $50, 1 month, 1GB pay as you go card. I figure this is best for me as a part time/seldom RVer. I can connect and buy more time over the internet with my credit card, or get cards at Best Buy or Verizon stores.
NO MONTHLY CHARGES. I will activate it when I need it.
Right now I am on a train bound from Sacramento to Bakersfield using it.

Last edited:

DW_Gray

What's the range for these "mifi" and similar gadgets?

The coverage range for these MiFi's, etc. have practically the same range as your cell phone service. These devices use a designated cell phone number to connect to the data service.

I mentioned the need for an external antennae above just because I stay at the RV parks on military installations frequently. For whatever reason, cell phone/MiFi signal strength is poor most of the time.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
What's the range for these "mifi" and similar gadgets?
if you are asking about WiFi range to/from the MiFi... its only about 30ft.
if you locate one in typical living area of just about any RV, your WiFi-enabled devices should see it fine.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thanks Dave & Alex. I was mainly interested in the wifi broadcast range. Doesn't sound like it would work for me. I wan't something I can use around the house as well. Need 50-75' through walls. My current wireless router barely makes it.

AlexSian

Mobile Broadband Consultant
Thanks Dave & Alex. I was mainly interested in the wifi broadcast range. Doesn't sound like it would work for me. I want something I can use around the house as well. Need 50-75' through walls. My current wireless router barely makes it.
just FYI, these MiFi devices can be connected via USB cable to a Cradlepoint MBR series router which feature WiFi N radio to provide greater WiFi range than what is built into the MiFi.

So, when on the road, you could take the MiFi by itself, and when you are at home, attach it to the Cradlepoint... or, just always operate the MiFi attached to cradlepoint if you want. Besides additional WiFi range, you also won't be limited to only five connected computers/devices.

porthole

Retired
When I got a new laptop in august 1st thing I ran into was that my verizon PCMIA card no longer was usable. I went to a verizon store and ended up switching up to the mi-fi.
I was grandfathered with my unlimited data plan for $60 a month (business account).
I also got 15% off my main cell line for being a municipal or state employee. So it's not just military for the discount.

jnbhobe

Verizon always offers discounts to all kinds of bussiness. My daughter gets 15% thru Giant Eagle grocery stores. But we went with a family plan for 4 of us thru Patti's former employer General Electric for a 22% discount on the primary line. WFU

Gaffer

I have a Verison USB modem and have experienced a good connectiion in places where my Verizon cell phone would not work. I thilnk the antenna in the modem is bettet than the cell phone's. Likely the USB modem will have better range than the MYFI. And it has an external antenna jack if needed.

DW_Gray

Wouldn't one of the wireless repeater style antenna work with the Mi-Fi?

Duane, I'm not sure what you're talking about. This thread has turned into two separate issues.

1. (My issue) Signal strength received by the MiFi from the tower is too low at times and therefore has poor data throughput or intermittent data throughput. Note: I just learned from my son that 2 of 3 towers nearby were taken down and a new one is going up for Verizon's new 4G.

2. The wireless range (WiFi) from the MiFi to the wireless computers is normally limited to about 30 feet. Normally that's good enough within the RV. Some, as I now understand it, would like to extend that range so they can operate their laptops outside greater than the short 30 feet.

I found this website that may have everything we need to fix both these problems. 3Gstore.com

For problem number 1: Wilson Sleek Signal Booster for MiFi ------------> Also at Amazon.com (This will work great in my Cyclone.)

For problem number 2: 3G/4G Router

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Like Gary (boatdoc) I am completely uneducated and clueless about all this electronic stuff, so this may or may not pertain to this thread.
A few weeks ago, Sam told me about the 4g EVO from from Sprint. She, by the way, does understand all this electronic guru stuff.
It was all greek to me until she said we would save $30.00/month, That I understand.

We already had Sprint with no contracts for either of us. We also had a Verizon aircard through a router which worked great. We paid $60/month for Verizon and to Sprint it was $60/line/month for unlimited talk, text and web.

Even though there is no 4g in SC, by going to the 4g and using it as a hotspot, we could drop Verizon. So we did.

Even though the new EVO 4g costs an extra $30/ month for what ever reason, we were able to discontinue Verizon (also no contract).
Savings of $30/month....except the fine print says that there is a $10/month 4g surcharge even though there is no 4g in SC. So the true savings is now $20/month.
Still, it does save $240 / year and the hotspot can run 5 devices. We have had two linked to it already and it is fast. Very happy with it and in the SE Sprint has good coverage. Not really sure how they do in the rest of the US.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is some info you may consider. In a discussion I had with a supervisor at AT&T over my WIFI data card I was told they had changed me to a 5 gig plan from a grandfathered unlimited plan. She said they could do this because my contract had expired and I was now on a month to month. I asked if this applied to my phone as well since I was month to month on that too. She told me yes they could change that without my permission since I was no longer under contract. What ???????? Moral - You need to remain under contract to keep your plan and pricing locked in.

porthole

Retired
Dave,

Out here I have not found a problem - yet with coverage. What I did notice that when we were in West Virginia the past August that my Verizon Droid would not receive any data until I switched to roaming. Even then the speed was slow, and tethering was useless. But the Mi-Fi worked great in the same area.

For me, Wi-Fi away from the trailer is not that important. Figure if I am more then 30 feet away I don't need it anyway.

Ideally, I would like an antenna that would pick up weak Wi-Fi signals in a campground, and then maybe a second antenna (like the Wilson you posted) that would boost the Mi-Fi signal, which would have to be wireless since there is no antenna port.

I’m looking forward next year to trying out the Mi-Fi when traveling to see if Deb can watch Netflix while we are on the go with her iPad.
That is where an antenna port would be nice, and maybe the exact reason there is no port.

My plan is unlimited Data, so it would be a neat trick if it would work.

I am in a good area most of the time that signal strength to the tower is good. I am basing that on perceived speed of net use. I don’t know how to look at the signal strength.

Duane, I'm not sure what you're talking about. This thread has turned into two separate issues.

1. (My issue) Signal strength received by the MiFi from the tower is too low at times and therefore has poor data throughput or intermittent data throughput. Note: I just learned from my son that 2 of 3 towers nearby were taken down and a new one is going up for Verizon's new 4G.

2. The wireless range (WiFi) from the MiFi to the wireless computers is normally limited to about 30 feet. Normally that's good enough within the RV. Some, as I now understand it, would like to extend that range so they can operate their laptops outside greater than the short 30 feet.

I found this website that may have everything we need to fix both these problems. 3Gstore.com

For problem number 1: Wilson Sleek Signal Booster for MiFi ------------> Also at Amazon.com (This will work great in my Cyclone.)

For problem number 2: 3G/4G Router