Cleaning monitor probes

We are looking for practical suggestions to clean the probes and keep them clean. So far we have tried simple green, rv chems, baking soda, massive amounts of water (hot & cold) and filling the tanks and rocking the 5er...nada. We have an 09 Big Horn 3385RL. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Mahalo ....thanks thank you in Hawaiian, we're from Maui!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chuck, I like you have tried most everything I can think of. My sensors are still unreliable. I do know that if we have the opportunity to dump the greys and leave the valves open, the indicators/sensors appear to "Dry off" and indicate empty. Once we start using the tanks though they read erratically. I think water may be splashing up on the sensors giving a false reading. Good luck and "He mea iki". Nope, I googled it.:eek:

jimtoo

Hi chucknlisa,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

There are even more than what you have posted about cleaning the sensors... but not sure anything works good. We just usually dump on a weekly basis if gone that long or when it starts to burp. Or if we are only gone for a 2 or 3 days, I dump and rinse (use clear fitting to see) really good before going home I probably have not looked at the monitor panel 10 times in 3 years....

Think about joining us for the Heartland International Rally in Goshen, Ind. this next June... I know they don't have a bridge from HI to CA yet,,, but you could fly in and stay at a cabin or motel close by...

Enjoy the forum and wish I was near you... You live in a beautiful state. But we do to,,,,TEXAS is wonderful, come and visit.

Jim M

Netem

Some people have tried putting a bag of ice in the black tank before heading out the ice bangs around then melts.

sunflower

I also have tried most things with little success.I use the clear fittings and elbow to moniter the clarity and flow,my wife came around the unit one day as I was watching and asked what I was doing--I replied watching my life pass before my eyes!!Honest it has been a good and FULLFILLING one.LOL>

Gizzy

Google "The Geo Method". Can't tell you if it works or not. We are trying this with our new BH3070 hoping to keep the tanks clean from the beginning.

The method makes sense to me but like I said we haven't put it through a long term test yet. Will keep our fingers crossed and see how it goes.

RoadJunkie

I find the geo method works well, but not for ensuring the tank level readings are accurate. The level indicators...sorta...work for the higher levels but I can dump, flush, flush, flush and when finished, the level is still not at empty. But, the indicators are entertaining if nothing else.

Wharton

We use a modified 'geo' method and, once we got the black tank flush to work, have not had any problems. I have been using Polident and about 1/4 to 1/2 c. of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Not sure what the Polident does but the Dawn makes the sides of the tank "slick" and the water slick. I would think filling the tank and letting things soak for 24-48 hours, then flushing for 5-10 minutes may clear things up. I have also heard of people putting Ridex in the tank to clean things up.

Personally, if we ever have to drop the bottom i am going to Miracle Probes or external sensors. Our previous trailer, 11 years old, had external sensors. I didn't think internals were used anymore.