direct tv set up help

Aristakat

Okay All,
I am set to pick up our new 2011 bc3550 loft style next week and want to have tv setup ready.

1.) I found a used direct tv dish with tripod , looks like it has 3 Lmb's on it comes with 100 ft of cable.

2) I am thinking I need to go to Radio shack and get a satalite finder ? I assume I need to also get a spiltter so can use on both tv's ? I will have to receiver boxed from the house

Have I missed anything I realize I will need a compass also to point towards southern sky as well

thanks
Jamie

also any suggestions to purchase sattalite finder ? Radio shack is 40.00

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jamie, you are on the right track. If you use a splitter it will have to be after the satellite reciever. The satellite finder is a good idea, mine cost $10. Cheap ones work. A compass is a must. Along with that you will need the satellite coordinates from DTV. In your menu go to satellite set up and enter the zip code of the place you will be.
Go to TV4RV.COM and check out their tripod systems. Then look at the set up instructions. They may be of some help to you.

Peace
Dave

Aristakat

thanks just to make sure I understand all I have to do is go to menu on receiver and find sat. and enter zipcode then dish and receiver will find and receive pics

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Uh.....no. You will have to aim the dish to find the satellite.
I don't know what kind of tripod you have but this is a basic setup. To get your coordinates, go to Menu, then Parental, Fav's & Setup. Then System Setup, Sat & Ant, Repeat Satellite Setup. Then press your - button. Tell it what dish you have and then go to Dish Pointing on the same screen. Enter the zip code and you will get the info you need. Then you need to set up your tripod. Be sure that the mast is plumb. Then you need to aim your dish at the predetermined azimuth. You will need to set the elevation based on what you found when you entered your zip code. You will need to set the tilt as well if it applies. Then with your satellite finder slowly turn or tweak your dish to get the best signal. Do this a few times to fine tune the best that you can. You then might then go inside and look at your signal. If it is low continue to tweak the dish till the signal strength is up in the 90's.
Good luck.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
DSCN0625.JPGDSCN0607.JPGDave has it down pat. That's the way we do it. I have Byrd inside the coach with a walkie-talkie letting me know if I'm on track with the dish pointing by letting me know the signal strength. The walkie-talkies work great, especially when I have to set the dish on top of the coach to get a clearer signal. Hopefully I have attached a pic of the dish on the roof. The 2 pictures shows the platform made to put the dish on. That way it's out of the way and also helps when it is needed to have it mounted higher to get a clear shot.

Last edited:

SmokeyBare

...And I crank up the sound on the TV when I've locked in the Satellite to fine tune to the highest signal. With a window open near the dish, I can fine tune using the sound as a guide.

You should also have some way to anchor the Satellite Dish/Tri-Pod so it doesn't tip over when the weather turns breezy. They can tip easy if not secured, then the arm on the dish usually breaks or bends.

Practice setting up the dish a few times. You'll do fine after a few tries.

Marv

Moose

Im lazy. First I check out the neighbours dish direction and angle to get me in the ballpark quick. LOL Then I zero in with sat finder and if I want real high tech I crank up volume and listen to "squeal" of TV or wife. (ducks and runs)

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Im lazy. First I check out the neighbours dish direction and angle to get me in the ballpark quick. LOL Then I zero in with sat finder and if I want real high tech I crank up volume and listen to "squeal" of TV or wife. (ducks and runs)
I like this method also!

davebennington

I have tried the Radio Shack satellite finder but did not have very good luck using it especially when in a heavy treed area. I use a bird dog satellite finder and can find a satellite in just a few minutes, the bird dog is on the expensive side but I use it to find the internet satellites also. You can find a used one on ebay sometimes really cheap.

Dave

jbeletti

When in a treed area, I park next to cookie, then run a long coax over to his dish on a tripod. Works for me :) :)

boatdoc

This is way we've done it for years and I'm surprized we're still married. Just last month I bought her, she's the TV watcher, a View cube and now hopefully I can put the cube where ever SHE wants it and run the coax to the UDC and I'm done, she can do the rest remotely. This is the way I HOPE it works as we have not tried it yet.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
My iPod has a free app to help you find your zipcodes no matter where you are. Then I go thru Dave's process. lol

Aristakat

heres thr tripod I pick up next week, so if I bring a compass, purchase a satalite finder, and bring receiver from home I should be good right ? it has a couple of lnbs I assume I can run one cable to master and one cable to living room right ? I think I understand now but really won't untill I get everything in front of me and setup.. Seems like to get angle I will use sat finder....

Attachments

• trip pod.jpg
    trip pod.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 39

Moose

heres thr tripod I pick up next week, so if I bring a compass, purchase a satalite finder, and bring receiver from home I should be good right ? it has a couple of lnbs I assume I can run one cable to master and one cable to living room right ? I think I understand now but really won't untill I get everything in front of me and setup.. Seems like to get angle I will use sat finder....

Looks like this is your dish. If so you are correct. You can run up to 4 cables, one to master, one to LR (and 2 to my RV if I am beside you. LOL) because it has a built in 5x4 (5 in - 4 out) switch. Good luck. Once you do it a couple of times it's like riding a bicycle, 'cept you won't fall off unless you are on the roof.

The Phase III 18" x 20" almost round multi-satellite dish that is compatible with all DIRECTV® satellite receivers. It is a triple LNB satellite dish antenna that will receive HDTV broadcasts and local-to-local in some markets. The integrated 5x4 Multiswitch makes it easy to connect the dish to up to 4 receivers, improving wire management and saving time.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
My suggestion is if you have access to your unit and power set the system up a couple times before you leave home.It might save you some time when you get to the cg. It really isn't any problem after you have done it a few times.And there is always someone near by that will be more willing to help you.