2011 Sundance XLT 265 RK

bigdob24

Any owners have any commits on the 265 RK, haven't found any threads about this one.
Thanks
Dan

delrkn

Hello Dan,
We recently took "delivery" on the exact model. Bought from Great Lakes in Elkhart. Actually our delivery is again delayed because it had dinette instead of table / chairs as in the unit we thought we were buying. I'll back-up, we took factory tour on September 30, and saw the trailer fresh off the line. They made us a really good offer on it so we made the buy. Big change for us as we had TT towing with a van. Phone calls every week to Great Lakes and Heartland resulted in different excuses on each call. Anyway our "trailer" finally got to Great Lakes November 10, an hour before we got there. We were planning to take delivery that day, however we quickly realized it was not the one we saw at factory. Different VIN. More BS excuses. We are now again waiting for them to change over to the dinette.

I was wondering how you happened to buy yours, as we think the Heartland / Great Lakes arrangement is a sales scam, a version of "bait and switch". But more of interest is, when did you take delivery. If was during October, wondered if you would share last 6 difits of VIN. Our original was 227741. This is more of a curiosity as I'm wondering if the original one was sold. I'm sure this will all get straightened out by spring.

I would like to stay in touch to share ideas. We live in Sterling Heights, MI. my email address is delarkin@comcast.net.

Dan Larkin

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Dan L, I believe that Heartland builds these rigs based on orders placed. They have no input as to whom the dealer sells the unit to. In other words, if you special ordered one with specific options you should get it the way you ordered it. If you didn't then your dealer did not order it specifically for you. If your dealer said you were going to get the specific one you saw at the factory, then your beef is with Great Lakes RV not Heartland.
Just my two cents.

Peace
Dave

2010augusta

Dan L. To echo what Dave just said Heartland builds to order, so If you saw a trailer coming off the line at the factory, it is already claimed by a dealer. I don't believe that Heartland has any on-hand stock, all trailer leave the factory with a known destination.

We also bought our trailer from Great Lakes in Elkhart, we ordered it on-line and Great Lakes called us in 6 weeks when the trailer was ready to come off line. Picked it up the same day it left the factory.

You said
we took factory tour on September 30, and saw the trailer fresh off the line. They made us a really good offer on it so we made the buy.
who is "they"?

Heartland does not sell trailers at the factory and Great Lakes has no control of the build order of heartlands lines.

I think you have a misunderstanding with the dealer about what the trailer buying/ordering process entails.

Take Care and Good luck
Alan

bigdob24

Dan L. The factory does have a build schedule for what's produced and how many. Ours was to be built something like the 18th of the month so it should be done or close. This is the second Sundance we have bought and both had to be ordered with what we wanted.
The first was a RCB 3300 toyhauler and it was a great unit but a little big for our needs, we looked at a 245 but thought it was too small so we ordered a 265
I would still be interested in hearing from someone that has one of these units and what they have experienced with it.
Dan

delrkn

Alan,
Thanks all for the feedback. "They" was Jim Hickey, Regional Sales Manager. The trailer was ordered and apparently cancelled before the unit finished assembly. He made it clear Hearland would offer out the unit to an interested dealer within a couple days. So we needed to make a decision inside that timeframe, we did within 24 hours. We don't know where that trailer ended up, or care, what irks us is the continued excuses why it was still at the factory, after 6 weeks. Why not just tell us they were building a new one? I'm sure Great Lakes contributed to this.

Anyway, we are excited about getting it, our first new RV (trailer or boat) ever. This is quite a new paradigm for us. Never owned a pick up, towed stuff for 30 years with a van, and our first 5'er.

Dan L

CPE

I got mine from the dealer as I wanted it. I had bad feelings about Great Lakes, where I was almost ready to buy from them, but found it cheaper locally. VERY happy I dealt with my dealer locally. I bought a 265RK last year and love it. Feel free to write me if you need any help.

LongIslandTodd

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
My wife and I are from Long Island, NY we ordered our 3100ES from Gilletts in East Lansing, Mi we got what we ordered in the time frame we were told. We love our Heartland product. Really sounds like you got hooked up with a bum dealer.

bigdob24

I will get to check it out firsthand, my dealer just called and the unit is in and I will pick it up Friday or Saturday. Its a shame it will just go in the shed till spring.
That will give me time to add a few things that I will need.
Thanks for all the info
Dan