Surge Protector

What internal protection do the appliances (tvs, radio, converter, air conditioner etc) have against electrical low voltage issues. I am trying to determine if a 100.00 progressive surge protector is sufficient or do I have to use the model that checks for low voltage. What are others using?

jimtoo

Hi priestlake,

I don't think Heartland builds anything into the unit for low voltage issues. I know they do not provide a surge protector. It might be in the individual appliance for low voltage, but probably not. If your going to buy a protector... spend the money and get one that will do the job...usually in the area of $300.

I did move the post out of ATF area as it is not a factory question.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Appliances may or may not have inline fuses, but that is no protection for a surge or brown-out condition. They only tend to blow if the appliance has an internal problem that draws excess current. The SSP30 and SSP50 surge protectors (the $100 variety) only protect against a power surge, not a brown-out/low voltage condition. To get that protection, and a better unit, you need to look at their EMS-HW or PT series of surge suppressors. Those cost considerably more.

I have the hardwired EMS-HW50C, with remote display, in my rig. Tells me how much current is being drawn on either leg, along with the line voltage. If there is/was a problem, it will display a code identifying the problem. Should there be a brown-out, it will shut down the power coming into the rig until it rises back to a predetermined safe level. Similar protection for a surge.

SurgeGuard is the other major brand of protectors. They also have hardwired and portable units. Functionally, they are probably very similar, but I don't think the hardwired SurgeGuard model has a remote display available. Their display is on the suppressor itself.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
John, I think you are right.
We just bought a Surgeguard, the only readout I saw on the hardwire protector was on the unit.
There was no mention of a remote as an option and the sales man said they did not have one which seems kind of dumb. If there is a problem, then how do you know it other than the power will not come on?

Anyway. we did buy a pedastal model. been very lucky up till now without one especially in Nashville. but didnt want to push it any further.

davebennington

We have used the 50 amp Portable Surge Guard for about 5 years now I believe it has saved our electrical equipment at least once that I know about. I would not hook up to an electrical box without it now, I even use it at the house.

Dave

JohnDar

I forgot to mention the Hughes Autoformers. I think Jim B. has or had one. You get both surge protection and voltage modification, to a degree. I looked at those online as well before getting the Progressive unit. Pricier, larger and heavier, but they do more than just surge suppression.

With the Progressive or SurgeGuard versions, I would imagine that either the pedestal mount or hardwired models will provide the surge protection you need. Since our primary usage is on a seasonal site, the hardwired unit made more sense for us. With the remote display on the surge protector and the Charge Wizard pendant on the converter, I can tell at a glance what's going on with my electrical systems.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Our Progressive external mount EMS saved us at the park we are at now. When we arrived I checked the pedestal and found it had an open ground. I then checked several others and found all of the pedistals on the row we were on had open grounds. We advised the office and they moved us to another row and got an electrician to fix that row. They were unaware of their electrical problem. Another reason to have one.

DW_Gray

Yep... A portable or hard-wired surge guard as a minimum is a must have. Automatic power stabilizers that protect for low voltage are big, heavy and expensive.

Here is a 50 amp model from Camping World:

50 Amp RV Voltage Regulator

GarthJ

About surge protectors
I have a rig with a 50 amp set up and and am thinking of buying a surge protector. Will it be a problem if I use the 50 amp model then only put on the adaptor for a thirty amp outlet?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
About surge protectors
I have a rig with a 50 amp set up and and am thinking of buying a surge protector. Will it be a problem if I use the 50 amp model then only put on the adaptor for a thirty amp outlet?

It should still work fine.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Plug your trailer into the Surge Protector and then plug the Surge Protector into an 50amp to 30amp adapter, then plug the adapter into the 30amp shore power. All will work at 30amp.

BC

Last edited:

JohnDar

For those looking for a surge protector, Camping World currently has an internet only sale on for the SurgeGuard models. The prices for the 30A and 50A hardwired units are pretty good, even with S&H. Personally, though, I prefer the Progressive unit, which unfortunately is not carried by CW and not on sale.

SouthernNights

Let me add this to John's post.
We bought our portable SurgeGuard at CW in Woodstock GA. I mentioned to the manager that they were on sale on their website and he matched the price on the SurgeGuard and no S& H. He also matched a couple of other small items.

So we had a good experience at CW.

nscaler2

We have the 50 amp Surge Guard brand. While camped this summer there was a lightning strike within 50 feet of our 3055BH. The surge guard worked it interrupted our power for a couple of minutes, then it all came back on. No damage. Our neighbors around us had varying amounts of damage. One lost anything that was electrical in the trailer including the reefer and the hot water heater. I won't hook up without it.

SouthernNights

We have the 50 amp Surge Guard brand. While camped this summer there was a lightning strike within 50 feet of our 3055BH. The surge guard worked it interrupted our power for a couple of minutes, then it all came back on. No damage. Our neighbors around us had varying amounts of damage. One lost anything that was electrical in the trailer including the reefer and the hot water heater. I won't hook up without it.

Glad to hear it worked like it should Tom.
I am not real big on extra warranties but I did buy an addtional 2 year warranty for ours. According to CW, even though Surge Guard would replace the unit if damaged by lightning, the warranty is a CW warranty. Dont have to send the unit to Surge Guard, just bring it to any CW and repalce it. I thought for $29 it would be worth it.

It is also my understanding that the unit is designed to be sacrificial, so I almost expect the unit to fail at some point during a storm.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
We have a Surgeguard and I know it saved my appliances many times as we had low power in our local campground. When the voltage or amperage got too low the Surgeguard would kick-off the electricity. My wife got mad just about everytime saying "this never happened before" until I explained that the Surgeguard is doing it's job and saving us a bunch of money. Well she understands but still isn't happy when the electricity goes off. Low power is pretty common in campgrounds as they tend to cheat on their wire sizes and runs and in some cases, as our campground, used aluminum wiring which is poor.

my 2-cents,
Mark

Vtxkid

I ordered the Progressive EMS-HW50C and it came in yesterday... really nice unit. Directions are straight forward! Now only if the freezing weather would break by this weekend, this puppy will get installed!!!

JohnDar

I ordered the Progressive EMS-HW50C and it came in yesterday... really nice unit. Directions are straight forward! Now only if the freezing weather would break by this weekend, this puppy will get installed!!!

I don't know how your rig is laid out, but do yourself a favor and mount it where you can get at it easily, yet out of the way of any possible water leaks. That may entail buying a length of 6/3 NM w/ground, to attach to the breaker panel, depending on how much excess there is in your main power cord from the shore power connection to the breaker panel. Working with that heavy gauge wire inside the box is a little tricky, so just take your time. Pre-bending the ends before trying to insert them into the connectors helps.

Vtxkid

Thanks for the guidence JohnDar, I do have an on board generator so I am wanting to hook the EMS up between the autoswitch-over and the main breaker panel. Placement and extra length of wire will be taken in consideration...

mcmartin

retired u s army
surge guard has a remote panel indicator on model 40240 hard wire. I had one that went out after only four years of use. I called the company and they stated they do not repair them and would sell me one at a discount of $315.00 plus shipping and I also had to ship the old one back. I will not go with a hard wire, I am changing to the pedistal mount. When the hard wire goes out you have to take it out of your unit to get power. The one on the pedistal all you have to do is unplug it if it quites working. Just a thought for the full timer that does all his own work on there unit