'08 Bighorn Improvements?

5erWonk

We are just days away from placing our order for an '08 3055RL, however we have concens about three issues we have been reading about on the forums:
  1. Frame problems have been mentioned but we do not know the exact details of the problem. What has been done on the '08 models to fix this problem? Also will the new drop frame that accomodates the larger basement storage have any affect on the frame problems?
  2. What is the extent of water leaking through slides and again what has been done on the '08 to fix the problem?
  3. Finally the sagging water tanks, is there any improvement here for '08?
We are very excited about the unit we have on our list, hopefully you can give us that last bit of information that we need to place our order.

Scott

Bighorn A Good Buy

You stated:
"Frame problems have been mentioned but we do not know the exact details of the problem. What has been done on the '08 models to fix this problem?"

Heartland only uses either a 10" I-Beam or a 12" I-Beam steel frame (no 8" frames here). As such, we have had no issues with the frames which were not caused by external forces (i.e. a suspension that encounters problems, or a tire that blows out after hitting road debris or possibly rubbing on a slide room that needs adjusted).
I suggest you compare our frame to others on the market - compare the gauge of steel and the number of outriggers and cross members. You will find that the Heartland frame is truly a great foundation for our fifth wheels.

"Also will the new drop frame that accomodates the larger basement storage have any affect on the frame problems?"

No. It is formed by a 4" x 8" tube that is welded to the 10" or 12" I-Beam. It is a design that we have used since our inception (introduced on the Landmark fifth wheel).

"What is the extent of water leaking through slides and again what has been done on the '08 to fix the problem?"

The extent of the water leaking through the slides is that when installed correcty our double wiper seal will keep water out of the coach. Does it sometimes get out of shape, or have one wipe reverse places with the crossing wipe? Yes, which can be quickly addressed. The new corner blocks and D-seals that came into being over the last six months even further enhance the slide seal system.

"Finally the sagging water tanks, is there any improvement here for '08?"

Heartland has 2 steel angle irons, a plywood base that sits on those angle irons, and a steel plate that goes between the angle irons - all under our coaches fresh water tanks. We also have four overflow vents on these tanks. Can people still overfill them, causing them to bend both the wood and steel out of shape? Unfortunately, yes. Can coaches traveling with full fresh water tanks - bouncing down the road - cause them to bend out of shape? It's rare - but yes, this too can occur. The days of larger and larger fresh water tanks are upon us and the ammount of steel re-inforcement that is under there is adequate for support that amount - but even the amount of steel we have under there can be compromised by a combination of speed and road conditions and a tank full of water.
Again - compare what Heartland offers under our fresh water tanks to what the other fifth wheel manufacturers are putting under theirs and I really don't think you will be able to come to the conclusion that Heartland system is in any way shape or form, less than the competition.

That being said, we are constantly looking at ways we can improve our products and I know that we are looking into even more ways to keep our tank support system in perfect shape - under even the most extreme conditions.

FYI

ST

tcbrady

Fassel,

Thank you for your interest in the Bighorn product. I wanted to answer your questions:

1. Frame problems - not sure what problems you have heard about but we use a Lippert frame that is covered under a 2 year warranty. Lippert manufactures approx 80% of the frame used in the towable RV industry and they have an outstanding reputation for standing behind their product. We have not had any major problems with the frames.
2. Slide seals - we had a minor problem that has been resolved. We now use corner blocks and a thicker wipe seal.
3. Sagging water tanks - we now have 2 steel braces that run the width of the frame for additional support. On top of the braces is 7/16" floor decking so it is adequately supported.

If you have any futher questions please free to contact me directly at the factory 575-266-8726 - I would be happy to discuss any concerns.

thank you!

5erWonk

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your replies....I know I was not specific about the frame problems, these are various references I have picked up on some of the forums. There have been references to wall separations and stress cracks, as well as some issues with suspension mounts.

I also realize many issues can be magnified on these forums, however it is still an excellent way to get immediate feedback from your customer base.

I have also communicated privately with some of your owners that have had major problems, but as a testament to your organization, most have said they would by another Heartland product.

Thanks

jimtoo

Fassel, for what's it's worth.

I had an 06, 3055RL and never had any of the 3 problems you listed or some of the others that you read about. Did I have other problems? Yes, but working with my dealer and dealer working with Heartland people, I was made happy. Would I have another? I just took delivery of another 3055RL, but an 08 model. :D Do I like it? You bet!! :D The changes are a great improvement. And the quality or workmanship is greatly improved.

5erWonk

Thanks to all for the input.....We've chosen to move ahead and place the order for our '08 3055RL. Looks to be a great value with great features even bofore the '08 improvements. I also think much of the satisfaction comes from the dealer, and so far our dealer is the greatest ( I'll let the name out after we're done)........Now for the wait.

5erWonk formerly known as Fassel

Last edited: