Spring Cost??

imchud

I have been reading so many post on the repair/replacement of the Lippert leaf springs. my 2009-3385 doesn't get pulled very much, I have it on a seasonal site all summer and I notice my springs are also starting to get flat, not there yet, but getting close?? I was wondering what kind of cost I would be looking forward to???

Tom

boatdoc

Our new springs from the outfit in OK. were right at $250.00 and I installed them. What got a burrr under my saddle was I had to buy them from Lippert as no one else had them or were way more expensive. The trailer stands about 11/2" higher now

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
I am curious about this too! No issues yet but it seems to be a pretty common problem. I know you can buy a 7-leaf 3500lb spring for around $60. I also would add the wet bolt kit while changing springs (about $50 from Trail Air). The shocker is shipping! Look local!

Best Wishes!

RoadJunkie

Our new springs from the outfit in OK. were right at $250.00 and I installed them. What got a burrr under my saddle was I had to buy them from Lippert as no one else had them or were way more expensive. The trailer stands about 11/2" higher now

Was the 1 1/2" higher dimension back to the original height? Which springs did you end up buying.

Gary521

There are several places on the internet to buy the springs. Google "Trailer Springs" and this should work. The springs are 25-1/4"' eye-to-eye dimension and 1-3/4" wide. Ask if they are US made springs before you buy - should you go this route.
I replaced mine because they were flat. I called Dexter and Al-KO to find a local source for their springs (Denver) and they gave me a couple of places. I opted for 3300# springs vs the stock 3000# springs. The local sources were also cheaper than Lippert and were US made springs. The 3300# springs have more leaves than the stock springs and will raise the trailer a bit. My shocks were bent from the flat springs, so I replaced them along with using wet bolts. I have some suggestions.

Wet Bolts: Order new shackles and a couple of extra bronze bushings from Trail Air. My shackles were worn a lot. It is also much, much easier to press the springs bolts into the shackles first before fitting on the trailer. The Equa Flex equalizer pivots on the frame. There is a bronze bushing at this point. The bolt is not lubricated from the stock mounting. Mine were worn out. This is what the extra bushings are for. Use a propane torch to expand the fitting a bit to get the bushings in and out. If you do not use wet bolts, the bushing will just wear out again. I got my shackles from the local springs supplier. They are 3.13" eye-to-eye" They are cheap and so are the bushings. Lippert also sells them.

Shocks: The Lippert supplied shocks are made in China and they have very, very poor dampening action. Monroe make an exact fit and are gas charged. Part #555001. Avaliable from several places on the internet. Much cheaper than the Lippert supplied low quality part too.

captpfd

I own a 2008 Razor 3110 and I don't notice any flattening of the springs yet. They actually look new as do the u-bolts etc. I'm curious as I am reading, are the spring issues more common on the regular coaches versus the Toyhaulers as I have? Are my springs on my toyhauler heavier made springs? Finally, most seem to think that the Chinese springs used on the Heartland trailers are cheap from Lippert, why would anyone buy and re-install the same springs from Lippert if they are that bad? We have a local trailer business down the street and they sell Dexter trailer products. Yes, truth be known, they probably come from China also. Why not just buy something local if available? Capt.

Gary521

I own a 2008 Razor 3110 and I don't notice any flattening of the springs yet. They actually look new as do the u-bolts etc. I'm curious as I am reading, are the spring issues more common on the regular coaches versus the Toyhaulers as I have? Are my springs on my toyhauler heavier made springs? Finally, most seem to think that the Chinese springs used on the Heartland trailers are cheap from Lippert, why would anyone buy and re-install the same springs from Lippert if they are that bad? We have a local trailer business down the street and they sell Dexter trailer products. Yes, truth be known, they probably come from China also. Why not just buy something local if available? Capt.

When I called Dexter, they said that they made their own springs. Does that mean that they are made in the US - well I am not exactly sure. The local spring supplier had both Chinese and US made springs. I specifically asked the local supplier where the springs were made before I bought. I bought the US version. The local supplier sells both AL-KO and Dexter parts. I called a Canadian spring supplier. He told me to buy local because of the shipping costs. He also suggested talking to AL-KO and Dexter. He said NOT to buy from Lippert. Can't remember the Canadian supplier but somebody else on this forum bought from them.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have been reading so many post on the repair/replacement of the Lippert leaf springs. my 2009-3385 doesn't get pulled very much, I have it on a seasonal site all summer and I notice my springs are also starting to get flat, not there yet, but getting close?? I was wondering what kind of cost I would be looking forward to???

Tom
Hi Tom,

I have same rig as you. It cost me $175 to upgrade to US-made EMCO 3300 lbs 6-leaf springs. Ordered on-line and did the work myself. A local independent RV repair shop would sell me the same springs for $250 plus 2.5 hrs labor to install. Here is the thread with more info.

boatdoc

The springs I used are EMCO, made in OK and are hard to find in stock anywhere. They are the 7 leaf, 4K springs, Lippert #132887, Standen spring #72-79, that replace the junk that came on the trailer and the set Lippert sent me to replace the originals. After the second set did the same as the first I took it upon myself to fix the problem and called EMCO who directed me to Dexter or Lippert and when it was all said and done, Lippert was the cheaper of the two but it did hurt giving those jokers the money. Yes, you can find the smaller weight springs at many places but not these heavy ones that the bigger 38'-40' filth wheels need unless things have changed a bit the last 6 months and more people are stocking them.
As far as the new springs raising the trailer an 11/2", we both really can't remember if the trailer was this tall or not when new. Ity could possibly be the trailer sagging a little at a time over 2 years and us not noticing it. The new height, if it is new, is not bad in any way at all.

caissiel

Last winter I found my springs to be flat also so I ordered a new set from Lippert.
I found out that the new lippert springs were exactly the same radius as the old ones.
Because I had a bad center bolt on one rear spring I changed all the 4 units.
I kept the removed springs for spares.
Since I have had trailers I have been breaking springs and always keep a spare pair on board.
To me springs can break anytime so I can change them in less time than the DW can make me super.

I was kind of ****ed off at the Lippert rep not to tell me that the springs are naturaly bowed down due to the flat plies in the middle. My Previous made in Canada trailer had the same spring form and when I put after market springs it would lift the trailer so I had to change them by pairs.

RoadJunkie

There are several places on the internet to buy the springs. Google "Trailer Springs" and this should work. The springs are 25-1/4"' eye-to-eye dimension and 1-3/4" wide. Ask if they are US made springs before you buy - should you go this route.
I replaced mine because they were flat. I called Dexter and Al-KO to find a local source for their springs (Denver) and they gave me a couple of places. I opted for 3300# springs vs the stock 3000# springs. The local sources were also cheaper than Lippert and were US made springs. The 3300# springs have more leaves than the stock springs and will raise the trailer a bit. My shocks were bent from the flat springs, so I replaced them along with using wet bolts. I have some suggestions.

Wet Bolts: Order new shackles and a couple of extra bronze bushings from Trail Air. My shackles were worn a lot. It is also much, much easier to press the springs bolts into the shackles first before fitting on the trailer. The Equa Flex equalizer pivots on the frame. There is a bronze bushing at this point. The bolt is not lubricated from the stock mounting. Mine were worn out. This is what the extra bushings are for. Use a propane torch to expand the fitting a bit to get the bushings in and out. If you do not use wet bolts, the bushing will just wear out again. I got my shackles from the local springs supplier. They are 3.13" eye-to-eye" They are cheap and so are the bushings. Lippert also sells them.

Shocks: The Lippert supplied shocks are made in China and they have very, very poor dampening action. Monroe make an exact fit and are gas charged. Part #555001. Avaliable from several places on the internet. Much cheaper than the Lippert supplied low quality part too.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up, Gary. Mine springs are still in good shape, but it seems like it's not uncommon to need springs on the longer rigs. I'll keep your post on record.

imchud

Hi Tom,

I have same rig as you. It cost me $175 to upgrade to US-made EMCO 3300 lbs 6-leaf springs. Ordered on-line and did the work myself. A local independent RV repair shop would sell me the same springs for $250 plus 2.5 hrs labor to install. Here is the thread with more info.
Thanks for the Info Bob... I will check them out. Also, did you replace he shocks? I might have top take mine to a local shop, i'm not sure I know what i'm doing.

Tom

imchud

Does anybody have any photos, or a good explanation of what a "Flat" spring looks like? Currently my springs are, or seem to be flat in the center but the ends still bow up a bit, not entirely flat all the way across. I would think that the springs should have a even radius through out the spring length, but not being very mechanically inclined when it come to this kind of thing, i'm not really sure?

branson4020

Icantre Member
Tom.

I kept the same shocks as they were still in OK shape. Many think they are pretty useless at the angle they are configured and take the opportunity to remove or reposition them. And, yes, unless you have the space and tools and are prepared to lift your entire coach off the ground on blocks, it's just easier to have the work done. For the $200 labor it was going to cost me, I seriously considered just having it done.

RoadJunkie

Does anybody have any photos, or a good explanation of what a "Flat" spring looks like?

The first post on this thread has a good pic of flat springs:

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...gs-strike-again/page12?highlight=flat+springs

Last edited:

caissiel

The Lippert Springs have a flat section on the middle about the lenght of the shortest ply.
I have a feeling that is because they are installed on top of the axle and sit on the saddle.
It is more appropriate to tight the u-bolts when the spring has a flat section to park the top plate.

On under the axle setup the plate is under the spring and the spring curviture does not prevent the tighting of the u-bolts.

This is just my observation, but I am sure that curved springs would cause tighting problem with top of axle installation.

imchud

Thanks for the Info guys, Mine are not as bad as shown in the pic's but they are getting close... I will keep an eye on them to make sure, thanks again for the help...

Tom

caissiel

When I checked my springs last winter they were not tight enough and bowed back
After new plates and new springs it looked a bit better. but still had a bow in it.