2009 Cyclone 3914 Water Pump Issues

Aaron

I have a 2009 Cyclone 3914 and have had the water pump replaced 4 times. Now the new pump is pushing water out of the water heater pressure / temperature relief valve. Is there anyone who can help with this?

jimtoo

Hi Aaron,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

4 Pumps,,,, never heard of that many pumps going out. Do you have a pressure gage that you can put on the system to check your pressure?

Hopefully someone else has a better idea as what might be wrong.

Jim M

hoefler

Water pump is not strong enough to over pressure the water heater. Either the pressure relief valve is weak or the thermostat is bad and the water heater is getting too hot.

SmokeyBare

The water heater's pressure relief valve will drip some when first starting to heat up if there is no expansion space in the tank. When the water begins to heat, the water expands, this expanding water needs a small amount of space to expand into. If the tank is completely full of water, no expansion space, it will cause the pressure relief valve to leak water. To get a little air or expansion space in the tank, turn off the water supply to the RV and then lift the handle on the Pressure Relief valve which will allow a small amount of water to escape the tank. That should provide enough expansion space in the tank.

Marv

Aaron

Thanks for the replies.

I have replaced the temperature / relief valve thinking it was bad. But it still leaks with the new valve. It leaks even when the water heat is not turned on which means it must be leaking due to pressure not temperature.

Shurflo has warrantied all of the pumps, but it is still tough when we are dry camping and lose our water for the weekend.

I have found that there was a large voltage drop across the in line fuse so I have removed that to help with the pump longevity.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

gpshemi

The water pump can't be able to generate enough pressure to force open the water heater pressure relief valve (150psi). The two aren't related. I'd guess you got a bad pressure relief valve with the new one and should try another one....or...there's something in the tank that's worked it way into the valve like minerals from a decaying rod. Pull the plug and rod, flush the tank good. Fill it back up. Hold a bucket under the TPR valve and let it flow water for a while to flush it out. Short of that. Replace it again.