Tires - Offshore

J

jjjelm

Hello "ask the factory" We just bought a 2006 BH 3055RL in June. We are hearing a lot on the "bad" foreign tires that came on our 5th wheel..the last post tonight says the tires were running hot on his way home from picking up his new rig and he was waiting for one to blow.......should we be living in fear or go out and buy new tires? Wonderful Wyoming

Scott

Tires

jjjelm,
If you get a chance, look through all of the posts on this forum regarding tires. I am going to tell you that there are thousands of RVs (not just Heartland) on the road, and a relatively small number of actual tire failures.
Do people experience blow outs? Yes. But there is a pretty valid reason that
the tire manufacturers rarely end up replacing the tire or covering any damage caused by a blow out because of the multiple variables that come into play in the vent of a tire blowout. By far, the number one cause of tire blowouts is road debris and/or road conditions. The fact is, people often run over sharp objects which are not visible to the driver (nails, metal, etc.), or hit pot holes, or even "curbed" the tires.
Because of this, the tire mfgs. eventually instituted a policy where they took the position that they were not going to "assume" that a tire blow out was first and foremost a defect in the tire. Most tire manufacturers will x-ray a tire which gives them a very clear picture as to what caused the failure. In my 20+ years in the business, I can only think a one or two times where it was shown to be an actual tire defect (weak wall, etc.) that caused the blowout and the tire mfg. ended up covering the damage.
I will also again state that NHTSA is the goverment agency that rates and certifies tires. We use the proper tires for the weight load that is riding on them, whether they are made in the USA, CANADA, or CHINA.
Believe it or not, when we used GoodYear tires, we still had the occasional blowouts.
FYI
ST

Uncle Rog

I am confused the sticker on my rig calls for E rnage tires, however it came with G range. She is a 3600RL and the E's do not seem enough for the weight? Anybody have an idea?