Hurlberg and Eglin AFB question

robnmo

We've got to move our daughter's belongings to her next month (Dec) the week before Christmas. She's stationed at Eglin, our son is at Hurlberg AFB in the panhandle of Florida. Since we can't reserve a campsite prior to arrival has anyone stayed at either AFB around that time of year as to how full they might be? or IF they get completely filled up? We'll probably be getting there about 5 days before Christmas. Any info on either campground would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Gizzy

Can't tell you if Eglin or Hurlburt will be full or not since they don't take reservations. lots of snowbirds down there this time of year. I can tell you that we have stayed at Ft Benning rec Area in nDestin and it is nice and they DO take reservations. We have stayed there a couple of times. Not sure if you are military or not (which is a requirement to stay in any base camping area unless you are a guest. Perhaps your son or daughter could check it out for you. Maxwell AFB also has a place in Niceville you could also have them check out. They also take reservations. Look them both up on the military camping web sites for more info and/or RVparkreview.com. Hope this helps.

robnmo

Ok thanks for the info so far, the wife and I are not military but both the kids are (one @ Hurlbert Field, the other @ Eglin) so we can get sponsored by either of them. We can't get the Cyclone into her apartment complex so we want to try and get as close as possible to her apartment since we'll have to haul everything via the truck from the Cyclone to it's final resting place. I've talked to both (Hurlbert and Eglin) I keep hearing this SNOWBIRD phrase :D so was trying to find someone that might have been there or is there as to if it's even possible to find a place that time of year on either base. Thanks on the other two possibles.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My experiences with "camping" at Eglin was at either the PRIME BEEF BRAAT or Silver Flag exercise sites. Maybe they'll let you camp there. Just watch out for the war games.