Factory Hitch on 3670

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Anybody know which model of Lippert Pin Box was installed on a 2009 BH3670? I'm researching upgrading mine and can't read the label under the plastic cover on the pin box.

JohnDar

I'm considering the MorRyde pin box. I've read about the 5th Airborne and the TrailAir's, but for our use, they sound like a lot of extra fiddling around adjusting air pressures (and having to carry a compressor). Not to mention the cost. I can also order and install the MorRyde by myself.

Wharton

We don't need a Mor/Ryde since we have an air hitch but we would like to change to a more fully adjustable pin box. The one the Heartland comes with is too flat and it hits the side of our truck. We need to be careful though to keep the trailer level. We just may raise our hitch in the truck.

2010augusta

We don't need a Mor/Ryde since we have an air hitch but we would like to change to a more fully adjustable pin box. The one the Heartland comes with is too flat and it hits the side of our truck. We need to be careful though to keep the trailer level. We just may raise our hitch in the truck.

How deep/tall are the bed sides on your conversion? On our 450, the entire hitch head and pinbox are several inches above the bed sides.

GOTTOYS

I've been looking at different pin boxes as well. Mor-Ryde is designed to cushion the for and aft movement known as chucking, only not the up and down movement. The 5th Air is designed to cushion both to some degree. TrailAir has 2 styles one will cushion the up and down movement the other is supposed to help with both....and the prices go up accordingly. Now if I can just figure out if mine is moving up and down or front to back ??
I'm thinking 5th Airborne. Found them online for not much more than a Mor-Ryde. This is as complicated as "which tires do I need?" ....Don

boatdoc

I put the 5th air on ours and once you get it dialed in for your trailer it's just like checking a trailer tire as far as maintenance. The new little remote air valve has made checking the pressure much more doable.

JohnDar

It's not easy, is it? I'm almost ready to hang flyers of all the possible upgrades on the wall and play pin the money on the donkey. Tires, brakes, suspensions, pin boxes, jack systems...where does it all end ??

Wharton

We have an International Stalick conversion. The sides are 14.5" tall but they ar 15"-18" wide which puts them close to the hitch. I have the name of about 20-25 bed box makers and welders. We have 2 mods we want to make, if possible: rise the hitch(keeping in mind the trailer needs to stay level) and we have a 48"x32" storage box in the bed that we would like to put a generator in so we need some sort of mod. When we get to Phoenix we will work on these 2 projects.

JohnDar

While out at the storage yard (and I've seen them online), I saw a Wildcat with a TrailAir RotaFlex pin box on it. Any experience with that? After looking around a bit, I did find a pretty good price (e-trailer.com) on the 5th Airborne that might change my mind about airbags and shocks, especially with the free shipping.

exdwarfer

I've had some experiene with both. Had the Fifth Airborne on our Coachmen Somerset (38'). Attempted to transfer to our new BH 3610RE, but it didn't fit the pinbox. Our dealer installed a TrailAir (not sure what model). I like the way it works as compared with the Fifth Airborne. The air cushion is almost directly over the king pin and I think it "works" better. The Fifth Airborne hitch has the air cushion a foot or so behind the king pin. Either is easy to add air to (don't have to do it often anyway). The Fifth airborne is more attractive, but I believe th TrailAir provides a better ride.

Hope my opinion helps!

NEW BH owners

John & Dianna Griffin

2010augusta

We have an International Stalick conversion. The sides are 14.5" tall but they ar 15"-18" wide which puts them close to the hitch. I have the name of about 20-25 bed box makers and welders. We have 2 mods we want to make, if possible: rise the hitch(keeping in mind the trailer needs to stay level) and we have a 48"x32" storage box in the bed that we would like to put a generator in so we need some sort of mod. When we get to Phoenix we will work on these 2 projects.

the distance between the bed side on our up-fit is only 48.5-49", but clearance is no issue since every-thing is well below the pinbox.

We love al the storage in our utility bodywerks 7-door bed and more storage is always good.

JohnDar

Arrrgghhh, I've been moderated! Hope it don't leave a mark. Thanks, Alan. Guess I didn't look far enough on the list of forum topics.

At any rate, I sent an e-mail to Lippert with the serial and item number that I could read on the tag to try to confirm the model. I don't want to pull the cover off just yet, and even flexing it a bit to peek under it caused a crack. Won't be needing it when I replace the pin, anyways.

Gary521

I will throw in my 2 cents. I have a 5th Airborne which I installed myself. I found an article on-line a couple of years ago where a man bought both a 5th Airborne and a TrailAir and tested them both. He liked the 5th Airborne a little bit better. I can tell you that it improved the ride quallity for me a lot. I also installed air bags on the truck, which also helped. Exdwarfer ( above ) said that he liked the TrailAir a bit better. They both work about the same way with a shock and an air bag. So it probably does not matter which one that you get. The 5th Airborne hides the air bag and shock under the frame where the Trail Air is exposed. I initially was not thrilled with the idea of spending money for the pin box change but I am glad that I did as it makes it all very pleasant now. I can control the truck air bag pressure from inside the cab on the move. The pressure setting was tested high and low to see where it was best for the ride. I think it depends if you have a short bed, long bed, extended cab, crew cab and the shock package on the truck. The shocks on the truck were changed last summer and that seemed to help a bit too.