Undercoating: Is it really necessary?

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
My dealer would like me to spend quite a lot of money to apply undercoating to my brand new 3585. Is it worth it?

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Difficult to say...but I do know these frames rust very easily. Our BC made the trip from Ohio to be delivered out here in WA state. Not sure what they put on the highways out there but frame rust was so bad two months later I had to clean up and repaint most of the visible frame. (not sure what it looks like inside the underbelly) I think I would by some spray cans and do it myself.

Best Wishes!

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Ditto what SJH said, buy a few cans and do it yourself and have some for touch up as time goes bye.
Guaranteed to be a lot cheaper than what the dealer is going to charge.
Enjoy your new rig!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
A good way for a dealer to increase their profits. If you want it done right do it yourself. Not that hard, just takes some of your time.

GOTTOYS

Don't waste your money. Lightly sand the frame, spray on some good primer and top coat it with a quality spray enamel that you can touch up as needed. I used Rust-O-Leum. Looks great, dries hard, dirt and dust doesn't stick to it like it can to undercoat. It's all about $$$$ for the dealer. If they aren't making enough on the trailer itself they should raise the price not try to fleece you on a bunch of add-on junk. JMHO...Don