Bike Rack

C

Chulinw

Can you put a bike rack on a Bighorn RL3400 from the back side of the frame. I want to get one and have it welded to the frame and cut a small hole in the back cap to slide the mount out to hold a couple of the grandkids bikes along with mine. Any suggestions would be great.:confused:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I would like to do the same thing. I think my route is to have a hitch designed and built, welded to the existing exposed frame and then use a slide in hitch carrier. I believe most RV dealers have a lead on a local shop that builds hitches.

jpmorgan37

Ray,

If you don't have it done before the Rally, talk to Dean Christianson who is parked next to you. He designed and built a hitch for his Bighorn, so maybe you can get some ideas from him.

John

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
You should do a search on this forum. I know there are many discussions about this subject including my own replies. We have a hitch that is bolted to the cross members that will carry (4) bikes very securely. Another fella at the rally had a bike carrier that mounted to the kingpin. It was very impressive. The biggest thing is finding someone to do the work, and do a good job for you.

Good luck,
Mark

jbeletti

Chulinw,

In Elkhart, Dan's Service also installs hitches and has done at least 1 on a Heartland. If it worked out timing wise, you could schedule this to be done at Dan's prior to or following the rally.

Here's a link to a post with more info and contact data for Dan's.

Jim

C

Chulinw

Tks Jim for the reply and all the others. I don't think a king pin unit will help me since I have the truck bed with 100 aux diesel tank and portable generator mounted in all the spare space. I download the Rally registration earlier today to send in and at the same time I will look at the link you provided for me. Many tks...

caokgafamily

I would like to add a bike rack to my 3400 also.I've spent some time under the 3400 looking how this could be done, the only problem I see with mine is that I have the rear power jacks,the jacks cover up the whole rear underneath from one frame side to the other.I guess I could take everything apart and see how this could be done.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
coakgafamily,
I have a 3500RL with the rear jacks just like yours. My dealership was able to bolt on a receiver without disturbing the jacks. I do not have any pictures of this but will try to add a link to some CAD drawings I made an posted in another thread. They basically used a 2" receiver and welded on angle iron on each side. Then they bolted the angle iron onto (3) cross members of the trailer. I beleive the length of the receiver was 48 inches and that's how we were able to bolt onto (3) cross members. Anyway, it is very sturdy and secure. The welded construction actually fits between the frame and the jacks.

I hope this helps,
Mark

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=710

davebennington

Bike rack

coakgafamily,

You may want to contact Deb and Allen(Wilmington,NC) on this forum they under went several versions of bike racks before finally getting it right. They displayed the rack during the East Caost Rally, very strong and well built. Allen gets my vote for expert in bike rack installs.

Dave

Take a look a "New hitch for bike rack" in Bighorn general discussions.
I just installed a "Hidden Hitch"

CEMill