Wireless back up camera at costco

timk

Has anybody tried the 89.00 backup camera at costco?
Saw one today, looked pretty simple.
TimK

DennisZ

I tried one a couple of days ago... It didn't work, the distance was too great, just got a signal now and then, mostly not.:(

J

Jim_1899

Do any of the wireless brands work? I noticed last night that the Walmart Super Center had the wireless back up camera's and they were in the RV supply isle.

Last edited:
J

Jim_1899

I add just underlined the question, it did look like a link so I just highlighted in bold my question.

Do any of the wireless back up camera's work?

Thanks.

DennisZ

Jim
The only Camera I saw on WalMarts website was the sme as the one I tried from Costco. I'm still looking for something thst will work, I'll let you all know if I find one at a reasonable price

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Wireless Back Up Camera

Do you have a Fry's near you? I saw both wired and wireless back up cameras there. I have to wait a couple months before I can afford one, but these were designed for RV use according to the box. I'd prefer a wireless, so would hope to see someone with a successful installation soon.

jimtoo

Would someone define "wireless" for me? Don't all these cameras still require power to operate? These cameras still require a power supply. I have found that it is just about as easy to run a 4 wire cable as it is to run 2 wires for power supply to operate camera. Granted you do need to run it all the way to the tow vehicle and install another plug in the bed, but I think that a wired camera is much better than wireless. Just my opinion.

Listen to how I'm talking, easy to run the wires or cable. I have not even installed mine on the new 5er yet. It's been too cold or too wet, maybe next week we will have some nice sunny days. Then it will be to hot. Oh well, I'll get to it one of these days. I'm retired, no hurry.:D Besides, I got honeydo's to do.None

DennisZ

Jim
Wireless just means that you don't have a cable going all the way from the back of your trailer to the dash of your truck. Most of the cameras can be powered from one of your running lights or back-up lights, so there are no long wire runs.

jbeletti

From all the wireless backup camera attempts I've read about on RV.net in the last few years, I don't believe any of them proved satisfactory. Some still use theirs but they talk about interference while on the road. Nice while stationary though.

Perhaps quality will improve on these at some point.

I have a wired backup camera and I can state from 2 years experience with it that I use it more for safer lane changing than I do for actual backing up. Due to the wide field of view, distances are rather skewed but it is still very helpful. Mine has audio too so if Nancy is near the rear of the trailer while I am backing, I can hear her.

Jim

jimtoo

Hey Jim, sounds like we have about the same camera and use it the same way. I think wired is a lot more dependable.

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Jim and Jim, question. How is the camera wired? Under the trailer or inside the roofing?

I will be picking up my new 3670 Thursday morning. And a backup camera is in the future!

Thanks
Ron

jbeletti

Ron,

My Landmark is one of the earlier built units. At that time, the factory had more time to do custom stuff. As such, during the build, they pulled a plastic conduit that I supplied, from the rear cap to the hitch area (via the roof trusses). They also pulled the camera cable I supplied, through that conduit. I asked them to put some plywood backing in the upper section of the cap to mount the camera. Can't say for sure if that backer is there but they did mount the bracket to my specification and all is well 2 years later.

I then added a receptacle at the hitch and flush in my truck bed and use a cable (similar to trailer to truck harness) to connect the trailer camera to the truck.

That receptacle that is in the bed is connected to my monitor in the cab. My camera, cabling etc. is from Tim Lazaroe at RVCams.com.

Jim

dieselengineer

Charter Member
With the wireless camera, has anyone mounted the camera other then on the licence plate? Like on the roof? I would like to keep an eye on the over head issues. I would think that in the front (top of cap) looking back the distance to the reciever in the truck would be shorter then normal installation. I can see the side and back issues, it is the overhead issues that are in my blind spot!

jbeletti

de,

Mine is mounted high on the rear cap facing rearward. But I like your idea? I think to be most effective "up there", you'd want it to by about a foot higher than the roof at the front cap. Otherwise, mounted low "may" not give you the correct perspective on whether that branch that just passed the camera is really going to take out the AC.

Or do you mean, forward facing mounted on the roof at the front cap? That may be a good option.

I read a while back on RV.net of a guy that ran his camer cable in the seam where the cap meets the roof and down the side where the cap meets the sidewall. He sealed it in with sealant. Guess it beats another roof penetration.

If you end up trying a roof mounted camera, please let us know how it turns out as it sounds really interesting.

Jim

jimtoo

When I get around to installing the camera on this unit, I am sure I will mount it high on the rear cap, looking to the rear for backup and traffic purpose. I will run my cable through the rear cap and down to the bottom and along the inside of the frame with all the other stuff. Then at the front it will be done like Jim B's. I already have the cable and plug in the bed from the installation before.

I do like the idea of a roof mounted camera looking for clearance and the like. At my front A/C, I am measuring 13'2", so I might look into putting one on the front someplace. Of course by the time I could see something coming, it would probably be to late.:D

dieselengineer

Charter Member
As you know, I like to think outside the box. I would think that the distance (being that the camera is in the front) the camera would work wireless. The main problem I have concerns with is getting in and out of campgrounds with trees and low overhead wires, signs, etc. With a camera mounted to the front A/C unit, I would think that low hanging issues would be able to be seen before an issue happens. On the big open highway, it would be just cool to see really how close that bridge overpass was. "IN COMING"

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Went up on the roof today to check out a location. Boy was that cold, ice and snow made the trip real fun. Life is fun! Anyway, it looks like mounting on the front of the main A/C unit facing front in view of the bedroom A/C unit would be the place. If this saves a hit, it will be worth the install