Disk Brakes option??

george25

Hi Everyone,
Been holding off on a BH purchase waiting to see if Disk Brakes becomes available sometime soon. Its a deal breaker for me because stopping a 14,000lb trailer with standard electric brakes is no comparsion to a disk brakes.Safety first IMHO
Will Heartland ever plan to offer a disk brake option on their Bighorn trailers? It just makes sense to have mor-rde suspension with disk brakes. The stopping power is like night & day. I belive it could be a very worthwhile option in Heartland Trailers. I see more & more MFG's offering it.
Will Heartland Start offering it anytime soon? :confused:

George
07 f550 4x4
LS488 ratio

tcbrady

Hi George,

Thank you for your interest in the Bighorn product. Unfortunately, we do not plan to offer disc breaks in the near future. There has not been that great of demand for disc breaks and the dealer service centers can have them added after the fact if it is absolutely necessary. If you would like to discuss further with me please do not hesitate to call me at the factory.

thanks! Coley

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have some friends with disk brakes and they love them. I think the reason there is not a great demand for them is that most peole do not know that they are available.
In Canada I just looked at them and it would cost about $3000 canadain to put them on.
Rand

jpmorgan37

George;
I just wanted to jump in here with my experience. I am pulling about 16000 pounds with a F-550 4.88. I ordered the 3 3/4 in brakes and don't feel that I am sacrificing anything in the braking department. With the Ford brake controller set at 10, I believe that I can stop nearly as fast with the fifth wheel attached as I can without it. I don't think you will be disappointed.
John

ct0218

Like John, I ordered the oversize brakes and they really do stop fast. I was surprised the first time I had to hit the brakes hard. They have 50% more surface area than standard brakes.

C

Chulinw

The disk brakes would be a great if the factory would offer them. I would think that they could make that as an option and also having dexter axles with the never lub and I would be very happy to pay for them then and not at the dealer as add on. Like me I did not special order the RL3400 and I keep looking and thinking that is the best way to have 5er.

Scott

Just chiming in...
In any business, the name of the game is staying "competitive". While there are always going to be a certain percentage of people who would rather have a particular feature over what is offered as standard, there is always that balancing act between "nice to have" and "need to have". The current brakes on the Bighorn are able to stop the coach without problem. If they weren't, we would be in a lot of trouble. Are the disc brakes "better"? Possible, but it is debatable at the very least. The biggest reason that Heartland nor the majority of fifth wheel manufacturers offer them is simply because they are considerably expensive, and at the end of the day - while it is a nice feature - it is not something that our main competition features, so if we did do it, it would drive our price higher and eliminate us from consideration of a number of potential customers.
Not to mention, this type of an upgrade is really pretty easy to do aftermarket. I would hope that "George25" would reconsider his position of these brakes being a "deal breaker". That's like buying a Chevy instead of a Cadillac because of the brand of tires. Just get different tires. IF the Bighorn is a better fifth wheel value than what he is finding in other brand names - it's a better value. Don't toss that fact out and buy something of less value that offers more expensive brakes.
Just my opinion.
ST

K

Ken Washington

Scott,
Are you or anyone from Heartland going to be at the RV Show this weekend in Greensboro, NC? I am looking forward to seeing new products and changes that have been made since we bought our Landmark.

Ken

Scott

Ken,
Sorry, but it doesn't look like we have any dealers with new product at that show.
ST

BluegrassMan

Hi Guy's:

This is just my opinion, If the drum brakes are ALWAY'S adjusted up correctly, it'll pull the trailer down to a stop pretty easily. Take it from one that did NOT have them adjusted up, how SCARY that is at 65mph + a panic stop. Talk about PUCKER factor !

C

Chulinw

Scott, I know that I have the AL-KO anles on my RL3400 and when I repack my wheel bearing the one thing I did notice is that only from the seal was getting out on the inner side of the wheels. That is one of the reason I would be happy to pay the extra cost for Dexter axles w/NevLub seals on them. Yes, I do agree the Bighorn is very competitive in price with other units. I do agree that Heartland does give you a lot for the dollar cost compare to other units. I know that I may like one thing compare to someone else. I am going to the Tampa RV show and look at the new Bighorns.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

I am with you on that one Bluegrassman. A panic stop or some YAHOO pulling out in front out you can ruin your day. I was wondering why a self adjuster could not be installed similar to the drum brakes on cars. When you back up they adjust themsleves. Any one have any thoughts on the idea?

BluegrassMan

Hi Fireflipper:

I don't know, Never really thought about it. Actually the only difference from auto type brakes is NO wheel cylinder. We have that whole Magnet actuator dragging on the face of the drum. Does any else have any thoughts on this ?