Tow Vehicle

Dusty

I am considering a new Bighorn, will I be able to tow it with a 2002 Ford F250 Diesel with single rear wheels?

Thanks
Dusty

jbeletti

Hi Dusty and welcome to the forum! I'm happy to hear you are considering a Heartland RV, I've seen the Bighorns first-hand - nice rigs!

All the Bighorn details can be found on the factory website at this link.

I have attached as an image, the specifications for all current Bighorn floor plans as of 02-21-05.

Other users will be able to better help you in determining if your 2002 F-250 SRW Diesel will tow a Bighorn. Please reply back with answers to these questions:

1. What Bighorn floor plan you are most interested in?

2. From a sticker most likley on the drivers-side door post of your truck, what is the GVWR?

3. What is the current weight of your truck?

Best of luck.

Forum Members: Please chime in.

Jim

Attachments

• Bighorn_Specs_as_of_02-21-05.jpg
    Bighorn_Specs_as_of_02-21-05.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 174

Gary F

Dusty,

I can help you as-far-as the truck goes. Been there done that. This is why i traded my 01 F-250 crewcab for a 04 F-350 crewcab.

Tel me more about your setup. If your truck is loaded up with 4WD, Crew Cab and longbed then your around 7400 lbs, truck alone with full load of fuel and avg driver weight. Keep in mind a F-250 has GVW of 8800 lbs. The set up mentioned above would only leave you with 1400 lb for trailer pin weight.

For the price of a CAT scale cert you may want to have your truck weighed then do the math. Subtract the truck weight from the GVW and this is what you can add without going over the GVW.

My 2 cents.

Princess Kathleen

Good Info

Thanks for the info....still planning for next year to buy a Heartland Landmark Grand Cayon...and was wondering about a truck...I had already planned to do the diesel, 4 door, 350, single rear wheels...so it looks as if I am in the right planning stage...

Princess Kathleen

tundra 4.7 enough?

Hey all,new to this place and to tt also.We have a 08 4.7 tundra and want to purchase a 2010 28rls. Is this truck enough for the hitch weight?Does the sway bar and wdh really help with the transferring of the hitch weight that much? The truck is rated for 7800 lb. towing, 4000 lb fa and 4100 lb ra, 6900 gvwr. trk weighs 6000 lbs. Doesn't seem like a lot left. Any help for the peice of mind and safety would be appreciated.

thnx Pinky:confused:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I am not familiar with the Tundra but would suggest you look at the tow rating of the vehicle and then look at the weight ratings of the rig you are looking at. That should give you some idea. What I am familiar with is most of the folks I know tow with either a 3/4 ton or 1 ton tow vehicle, Ford, Chevy of Dodge. That is on the 5er end. Other use a regular truck with the TT.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless Toyota has done some major changes, the highest tow rating I could find for a 4.7L was 7100 lbs. That is less than what I could find for the dry weights of either a 29RLS or 28SLR. I could not find a 28RLS on HL's website. The Tundra is roughly equivalent to a 150 or 1500 series truck.

I'm sorry,maybe I explained it wrong.the 28rls is a lite tt and a bumper pull.also would like to know if the length in the specs include the hitch or is that just living space.
thnx:rolleyes:

irvin56

you would be close to max combind

I have a N.T. 31qbs and tow with a 4.8 liter ext cab 1500 silverado.
I'm maxed out.

You are talking about the North Trail line??
Total lenght includes hitch so take off roughly 3.5 feet.
hitch weight dry is 690. Add 200 lbs for added from battery propane etc.
and stuff in front storage. once hooked with WDH.

yes the hitch distributes the weight among ALL axles. How much depends on what link of chain, or hole hitch is set on. JUST MAKE SURE IT'S LEVEL.
when hooked up to tow.

Hope this helps.

Thnx Irvin,and yes Iwas talking about the north trail 28rls.I'm glad the hitch length is included.I think I would have been to long otherwiise.The 4 wheel driive tundra I have is rated for 7800# tow capacity.The grvw is 6900,this is what has me thinking about the hitch weight.:confused:The weight of the truck is 6100 # with a canopy on it.I have a gcwr of 13500.Was going to get the equilizer wdh-sway control unit.Truck has a bore and stroke of (3.70x3.74 in.)284.5 cu. in. and I think it has 410 gears,5 speed auto with tow package.I think it will be ok but want to hear other opinions.This site is awsome and I really think the replies are true to heart.Thnx for all the help everyone!!!
Pink:D

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, Irv, I found the 28RLS info. The dry weight is only 5290, with a GVWR of 6900. The hitch weight is 690, per the HL spec sheet. Your Tundra should not have a problem with that, especially if it is rated to pull up to 7800 lbs. I pulled a TT that had similar specs with my Avalanche, which was rated only up to 7100 lbs. with no problem other than watching the gas gauge move faster than the speedometer. That had a 5.3L engine and a 3:73 axle.