New Truck by Thursday

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well, new to me anyway. It's an 04 with 42,000 miles. 4X2 Duramax LB7. Which brings up a question for you knowledgable duramax fans. Is there a factory/dealer update for the LB7? Is it a freebee? I will be checking with a local dealer anyway and probably have it checked over thoroughly before heading back North this Spring. Now I have some work cut out for me mounting the rails, brake controller etc. Oh by the way. I got it on ebay.

Attachments

• s Ride.jpg
    s Ride.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 46

ct0218

Ray
There is an excellent forum for Duramax owners--dieselplace.com. There is a lot of info on the site, and it looks like this site (vbulletin). The only major issue with the early Duramax engine is fuel related--the injectors. 01-03 have an extended 200K mile/7 yr warranty on them, but not the 04 as yet. There is info on the site to determine what warranty service your truck has had. Hours and hours of reading ahead...

jimtoo

Looks Good Ray. I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours. We have same, but GMC label. I have checked with dealer and they have no knowledge of any updates that will improve anything. The only way they get an update is if you are having a check engine light or something going wrong, then they download your info and let factory computer compare and do reprogramming to correct the problem you are having. If it makes any other changes they do not know it. Any way at this time they have told me they have no changes to make better mileage or more power.

Jim

BluegrassMan

Beautiful truck Ray, That HAS to be the cleanest garage I have ever seen !!!! Now I'll think of that every time I go in mine.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Ray
Nice Truck, The injectors on the 01-03 were internal, the 04 and up are external and not as prone to problems. This does not mean there is no problems but fewer. Good Luck

K

Ken Washington

My first impression was what is that guy doing with my truck! It is just like mine, same color and crew cab. Mine is a 06 and the front has changed a little. Nice looking truck and I know that you will be pleased with it.

Ken

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
BluegrassMan said:
Beautiful truck Ray, That HAS to be the cleanest garage I have ever seen !!!! Now I'll think of that every time I go in mine.
Sorry to say it's not my garage. It's the garage of the Ebay seller Texas Direct Auto. I pick up the truck Thursday in Houston.:D

ct0218

Ray's new truck has an LB7 engine, and that production run was thru 04.5. The injectors are the same from 01 thru 04.5. The mid year change was to an LLY engine with external injectors, plus a few other modifications, and that run was thru 05. The next run was 06 and 07 and is an LBZ engine, and the 07.5 is another engine, the LMM, and it has further mods and a new frame, new front end suspension, and new body sheet metal. The LMM is due out this month and next month, timing based on body style and plant. The new bodies are called HD as in the past, whereas the old body style (GMT 800) for 07 is called the "Classic". I've heard, but not verified, that the new bodies/frames (GMT 900) have a deeper pickup bed. Not closer to the ground, just deeper sides. My Trailair sometimes hits my bed rails now, and the hitch is lowered all the way, and the Landmark sits about 1 1/2 inches high in the front. Hope that rumor is wrong!

Last edited: