Furnance problem need advice

rvn4fun

Hi, we are having a problem with our furnance that I can't fix, and need some advice. We have two weeks of warranty left. The problem is the furnance will not run all night. When you turn the heat on at the thermostat, the furnance starts and heats. It may work right for hours, but by the next morning it will be colder in the rv. Last night we had thermostat set at 70, when I woke up it was 58. I turned off the heat switch on the thermostat and turned it back on and the furnance started right up and heated up to 70 again. Yesterday I changed the thermostat to the digital Hunter but the same problem appeared again during the night. Thank goodness it always starts up when you cycle the heat on and off manually at the thermostat, as we have been having nights down in the 30's here. I think it might be a circuit board in the furnance but I don't know. My question since I am 1000 miles away from my dealer and here in Arizona for the winter. Do I call Heartland first, or Suburban, or do I go to the Heartland dealer here in Yuma? The reason I am asking for help is the list of manufactors, located in the closet. In the past with other rv's we have owned, we just went to our brand dealer and they fixed it. Some advice please, thanks.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
If your warranty is almost up, I would go to the dealer nearest you as soon as possible to get the problem documented. Make sure they are aware od the short time remaining on your warranty. You may want to call customer service to get the situation documented also.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Suburban furnace has a two year warranty on it, with a three year on the heat exchanger. If you're within that time frame, you might want to get in touch with them just to "file" your claim. The way it seems to work, you contact the supplier first and then Heartland if you get the "run-around" from the supplier.

rvn4fun

Thanks, I called Suburban up today and they gave me the name of 2 certified mobile repairman that they have do there Suburban repair here. I talked to one of them and he will take care of it within a week. He thought it was one of 3 sail switches. I didn't realize that we had a longer warranty on the furnance then the rv. Thanks for the info!

JohnDar

No problem, it's written on the back of the manuals (that came with my rig). Along this same line, the refridgerator actually has a 3 year warranty, but there's a stipulation about having it inspected annually.

rvn4fun

This is really something now, suburban said as stated above that in our area they recomend the mobile repairmen to take care of the issue, but they wouldn't cover any service call charges. I called my original Heartland dealer today, back in Texas, and asked the service manager about this service charge ect, as rv is still under warranty. He said Heartland considers there product a rv and therefore it should be able to get to a dealer for service. I asked him then if I should take it to a dealer instead of what suburban told me to do. He stated the first thing a dealer will ask is if we have contacted suburban for warranty service???? The only good thing about this is the furnance ran fine all night, hopefully we might not need a repairman now if it continues to work right. We have a few more cold nights to test before it warms up again.

JohnDar

I think that may be more common than you think. To cover the cost of parts and labor for repair by a mobile tech, but not their service call charge. The mobile service tech that would have repaired my electric awning under warranty, had Dometic sent him the parts, told me as much. But, since they refused to send him the parts, he did not charge me for coming out. And he was on their authorized list, too.

mesteve

I dont know if the OP ever got this squared away, but I had a problem where our furnace would not fire at all. It was a bas hi-limit switch. I guess in theory, once it cools down it may allow the furnace to cycle again...

The switch is on the inside/ return air side of the heat exchanger and is 2 wires and 2 screws. New one is $7-10.