What is the smallest size 5er you have full timed in?

JamesD

Ok, I'm looking for my first fifth wheel.
I plan to full time in it for a couple years while the housing market is in turmoil and to get some return on my investment instead of just throwing away money on rent.
Great, welcome the world of RVs you say. One annoying little detail though... what size to get.

I could get a 33ft or less model and get buy. If it isn't warm enough I have a place to park it during the coldest months. The price is certainly attractive and the thought of having an RV better suited to boondocking in tight spaces is appealing down the road.

But the more I look at full timing and staying in the RV year round, the more I am considering something closer to 40ft and then staying in it longer. That could interfere with my house buying plans.

And of coarse that leaves a compromise somewhere in the middle which may or may not work well for full time and won't fit in tight camping spaces any better than the 40 footer.

So I thought I'd ask owners about the subject.
What is the smallest 5er you have full timed in, for how long, and what was the experience like? Any comments that would be helpful is appreciated.

caissiel

We were in a 33ft 5th wheel for 4 years and it was ok for 2. But it was setup for a washing machine that we liked, but no basement storage.
We bought a BC 3500RL and we put all the stored stuff in the basement, and we do have plenty of room in the unit with 4 slides with almost same layout, but less storage inside. These Heartland have tons of storage in the basement.

I think that if you are only going to use it for a while and reselling it, I feel that smaller used trailers sell better on the market for part time campers.

2010augusta

a lot depends if it is one person, two people, or more.

If alone a smaller unit without many separations would be okay.

for 2 or more people, privacy needs to be considered. a bedroom that can be shut off is nice for quite naps.

activities in the RV must also be considered. I cook a LOT, and I could not function in a kitchen any smaller than the on in our Augusta. In the end it was this kitchen that lured us to Heartland in the first place. Bigger units give more seating areas, but if you are out and about often then seating areas may not be important.

grizzlygiant

We have lived full-time i n RV's for the last 15 years, interrupeted by stick-built living for a year or two now and then. The two of us have been happy in our 26' GMC motor home (very easy to park) as well as our 36' Bighorn (lots of space). For the last several years we have selected the 30' Sundance as a very suitable comprimise between ease of parking in tight places and interior/exterior space. We are heading out again next spring for another several years in the Sundance.

fljlcw

We started in A 26 ft. Iwas comfortable but wife had to have more room so we went to 34 ft. bighorn now in A 39 ft. Bighorn as said before if alone 26 to 28 ft. is better for resale ,cheaper to buy,and much better suited for getting to the places you really like to go camping. Fred

JamesD

Only a few posts and I'm starting to think about some things I hadn't considered.

I'm single at the moment so I wasn't worried about sharing the space all the time.
However, I might be roped into supplying "the camper" for hunting season or other activities... so the bathroom/bedroom setup will be important.
Since not all activities are guys only, I'm thinking all in one bathroom rather than split, and a bedroom door.
<edit>
On the shorter side I was looking at the Big Horn 2985 RL.
The Big Horn 3185 RL might be a little better for me though.

herefishy

Have you been to a dealer? I think if you can see several models side by side, there will be one that jumps out at you and says "take me, take me" for one reason or another. Take your time, visualize what you will have to put in it and where you like to go in it.