Underbelly repairs

HappyKayakers

During my first trip for warranty service to a Heartland authorized dealer in Florida, they cut through the underbelly to track a wiring problem. From what I've read elsewhere in this forum about underbelly intrusions, it was not done properly, i.e. it was cut between frame members. To patch it, they used a larger piece of underbelly and screwed it on, into remaining underbelly. I used duct tape on it when the screws started coming out. I recently returned from warranty service at another Heartland authorized dealer in Texas. It looks like they removed the duct tape to gain access to one of the gray tanks and tried reattaching using only screws. I just finished retaping with Nashau Select flashing tape (as suggested elsewhere in this forum). I would suggest that all Heartland owners check the underbelly before and after any warranty/repair work.

C

Chulinw

Same thing happen to me at the repairshop in Panama City, FL when they work on the fresh water tank. Now I have a gap of over 2 inch and no way to tape it up. I also lost insulation because they even didn't put screws in the part that cut and ways just flapping in the air. I got it screw up and the underbelly looks like it falling down. Wish they would have removed it from the back and came up to the fresh water thank and then installed it correctly. Not happy with the dealer repair service area at all.

DennisZ

Here's a link to a post by ChopperBill on some tape that is designed to repair the underbelly material. Hope it helps.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1248//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1248&highlight=belly+repair

C

Chulinw

Tks DennisZ I ordered a roll of the tape. Didn't know about it. That will help to get the mositure out of the underside.

Uncle Rog

Chulinw, what did they have to do to your fresh water tank? My tank fills at 45gal and no one seems to know why....?

C

Chulinw

Uncle Rog one of the sensors was bad and they had to put another one in order. They also put a angle iron across the bottom of the water tank to try and keep it in place. The angle iron feel off and then I put four 1/4 inch flat stock steel 2 inch wide by 39 in long under the wood to hold the water tank in place. This seems to work better then putting 1 inch angle iron across with width of the tank.

J-W&E

Underbelly repair tape question...

DennisZ said:
Here's a link to a post by ChopperBill on some tape that is designed to repair the underbelly material. Hope it helps.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=1248

There are 2 different tapes offered on this website. Which tape did you order. The one offered for the rigid underbelly material looks to be offered in only white tape???

ChopperBill

The tape I ordered was the one that I had a link too. It is black. It is real thin and has a backing that has to be peeled off to apply it. You have to be careful not to let it stick to its self as it is thin. I used a heat gun after it was applied and it worked quite well. I am going to order more after my final repairs are done as I also have some seams, after warranty work, but have not had problems with it coming down.

J-W&E

ChopperBill said:
The tape I ordered was the one that I had a link too. It is black. It is real thin and has a backing that has to be peeled off to apply it. You have to be careful not to let it stick to its self as it is thin. I used a heat gun after it was applied and it worked quite well. I am going to order more after my final repairs are done as I also have some seams, after warranty work, but have not had problems with it coming down.

Thanks for your help.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I went to the link to see what you were all refering to. The white tape is the right stuff for rigid underbellys like ours. The black tape is for the flexible tarplike underbelly material. Now I know where to get it if I ever need to remove or cut into our underside. Thanks

B. Lee

Firecapt422
Where can we purchase the hard underbelly? I had a leak and dealer had to make several cuts to gain access. Also, due to the standing water there is perminate buldge that hangs down.

jbeletti

B. Lee,

Underbelly material should be purchasable from Heartland through your dealer. You may also want to try calling Recreational Specialties (see their ad on this forum) as they too should be able to source it for you if you are not near a Heartland dealer.

Jim

C

Chulinw

Jim can you tell me about the purchase of the underbell material tht you can purchase like 10 ft only or do you have to purchase a complete roll to do the underside where the dealer cut and did not repair it back like it should. Tks for your help...

nscaler2

Nashua Select flashing tape

HappyKayakers said:
During my first trip for warranty service to a Heartland authorized dealer in Florida, they cut through the underbelly to track a wiring problem. From what I've read elsewhere in this forum about underbelly intrusions, it was not done properly, i.e. it was cut between frame members. To patch it, they used a larger piece of underbelly and screwed it on, into remaining underbelly. I used duct tape on it when the screws started coming out. I recently returned from warranty service at another Heartland authorized dealer in Texas. It looks like they removed the duct tape to gain access to one of the gray tanks and tried reattaching using only screws. I just finished retaping with Nashau Select flashing tape (as suggested elsewhere in this forum). I would suggest that all Heartland owners check the underbelly before and after any warranty/repair work.

Hi,
Can you tell me where you got the [SIZE=-1]Nashua Select Flashing tape. I have done a search with google with no real results as to where I could get it.
Thanks.
[/SIZE]

tdharley

Either I did something wrong or I bought the wrong stuff.

I bought the Nashua & the flexible black underbelly tape & they both came off.

ChopperBill

The Nashua Select Flashing tape I found at Home Depot was kind of a gooey tar type tape. Is that the stuff you are referring too? I got my tape from a belly supply internet site and it seems to work pretty good. My dealer uses some kind of tape that is also good but neither of them are the gooey type.
This stuff But I use the black tape that is made for the thinner covering and it works pretty good. The other tape is white but I am not sure how it works just know it would look like ****

BigBlue

BigBlue
tdharley
I had the same problem with the underbelly tape. I cleaned the area with alcohol and then heated the tape after applying it to ensure bonding occurred. It didn't. I don't know how long it lasted because I didn't check it. I had to get under the rig after about 6 months and found all of the tape had come loose.
I'm trying the Nashua tape now.