Dual Thermostats in BH 2985RL

chris4905

We picked up our new BH 2985RL a few weeks ago. The walk through was very fast as it was near closing time at the dealer and we could tell they wanted to close up. When they explained the two thermostats they quickly pointed to the wall, said these control the Fantastic Fan in the kitchen ceiling, and the other one controls the heater and AC.

I'm almost embarrassed to post this question. It's not like I haven't had an RV before, heck....I BUILT our last one, a bus conversion. But for the life of me I can't figure out the operation of the two thermostats on the wall by the stairs leading to the bedroom.

One thermostat is a Honeywell, and has a sliding lever to select the temp setting. The other is a Dometic Single Zone LCD Thermostat.

I tried to operate the thermostats and it was like the trailer was possessed !! The heater operated and at the same time the AC vents in the ceiling was blowing air. Then the fantastic fan cover opened and the fan came on. No matter what I did I couldn't get the fan to stop and the vent to close. Ended up getting a ladder and switching it to manual and turning the off with the switch and closing the vent by the knob.

I have searched this entire board, and also looked for an owner's manual in the "Tools" section, no joy.

Can someone please direct me to an area that explains how these thermostats operate........ or explain them to me.

Thanks in advance !!

2010augusta

Chris you might read through the Thermostat article in the Heartland Owners Wiki

//heartlandowners.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Thermostat

the honeywell is for the fantastic fan: off and cooler than set temp closes the vent. warm than set temp opens the vent

Dometic is for AC and heat, can't say how the new one works, if you can post a picture and the correct operation I will add it to the Wiki.

danemayer

On my Rushmore, the sliding lever thermostat controls the Fantastic Fan. I've noticed that it takes a little while to shut down after sliding the lever to off; seems like it can take maybe 1-2 minutes to close up the vent and stop the fan.

The LCD Thermostat has a mode button that cycles from Auto to A/C to Heat and to Off. I haven't used Auto, but I assume it uses the furnace fan to circulate unheated air. A/C should push cold air through the overhead A/C registers. Heat should push warm air through the floor ducts. Cycling from A/C to Off or from Heat to Off takes a few seconds for the A/C or Furnace to shut down, but it's faster than the Fantastic Fan.

Your description makes it sound like heater and A/C were both running at the same time, which isn't normal. Maybe the wires behind the thermostat are shorted.

hoefler

Is the Dometic thermostat had wired or is it removable from the little bracket and like a tv remote. If it is the remote size, there is an auto setting, it will switch back and forth from A/C to heat. If it is selected, it is possible to have both running at the same time. The fan in the furnace will be running to cool the heat exchanger down while the A/C is running. Temperamental little thing, but can you do?

chris4905

Alan and Dan, thanks so much for your responses.

I have checked some of the other Heatland boards and it seems there are others who are a little confused about how to operate these thermostats.

I'm going to take a picture this evening of the thermostats to help clarify which ones they are.

RoadJunkie

I'm not sure what the '11 thermostats look like as compared to my '10, but on mine there is a "cool" OR "heat" selector switch that should not allow the AC fan to run when the heat is selected. Now, having said that, IF your bedroom LCD thermostat is selected to cool it will run depending on the temperature selected. So one unit could be fighting the other to maintain the selected temperature. Unless you have the heat option on the bedroom AC unit, turn it off (switch on bottom of housing) when using forced air heat.

chief190

our 2011 3585rl thermostats are exactly like yours and the single temp sensor is for fantastic fan and does take longer than you would think to shut cover and turn off. the heat and ac thermostat is not listed any where for info. If any body has info on second ac control in bedroom has numerous features i can not figure out. has outside and inside temp sensor clock and all kinds of timers and mode setting as well as zones. any info would be helpful.

chris4905

I requested, and just received, the Thermostat Operating Instructions booklet from Dometic.

Per Alan's request I'll be sending him the .pdf file so he can post it on the Wiki for everyone's benefit. (Suggestion....also put it in the "Tools...HOM Heartland Owner's Manuals" section).

This booklet explains the entire operation of the LCD thermostat.

Thanks to everyone who lent their comments and assistance.