Awnings-Electric Type

K

Ken Washington

Thinking about changing my awning to the Weather-Pro or some other type that is automatic. Can someone please tell me what they think about them and what type you like. Any help will be appreciated. Has anyone installed one and how difficult was it to do?

Ken

jbeletti

Hi Ken,

I have the Weather Pro and like it. I have never had the manual awning but in the few years I have RV'd, I have learned this:

Weather Pro:
- Great option for hassle free opening and closing
- Some protection against wind (auto-retracts)

Manual:
- Can be staked down and left out for long periods
- Can accept a Patio Room option

Others will surely weigh in with more differences.

In the end, for me, I like my Weather Pro.

Jim

K

Ken Washington

Thanks Jim for the input! I hope to hear from others who has Weather Pro or any other type of auto awning. I know that if I change it, I will go with the cloth and not vinyl because it is hotter under vinyl.

Ken

Midastouch

I have the WeatherPro and it's great! I have also had mine retract several times before I was able to bring it in myself and it works really well. The remote has also come in handy in my purse .. put the awning up or down from off in a distance, etc...

I did learn that when the temps drop below a certain degree and the wind sensor is in the "enabled" position... a little "beep" noise will sound that apparently is there to warn you that the wind sensor is not functioning like it should ...at the moment and to not rely on it to bring the awning in if it gets too windy.

I say go for it!;)

ct0218

We have the Weather Pro on our Mt. Rushmore and it works great. You don't have to drop one corner )can't) for rain-its self tipping.

K

Ken Washington

Thanks everyone, I am liking the Weather Pro more now that I have seen some comments from you guys. If anyone else has comments, please post and if anyone has installed one, I would be interested in what you have to say about installing yourself.

Ken

jpmorgan37

Ken:
I've been thinking about this also and want to know what about power to it? I assume that it's 12 volt. Where is the source that it pulls from?
Thanks,
John

jbeletti

John,

Never installed one but here's what I recall from my unit:

- Weather Pro Awning itself
- Small switch plate mounted in coat closet used to run awning in/out (momentary rocker)
- Control box mounted on door-side bulkhead wall near the sidewall. It also has an in/out switch on it
- RF remote control FOB (about the size of a small car door / remote start)

I believe the awning has a harness that plugs into the control box. That harness likely gets 12 VDC and control signals from the control box to the awning. The control box must be connected through the 12 VDC fuse panel on the output of the converter.

Jim

K

Ken Washington

John,
Just talked with Camping World here in Greensboro, NC and the cost with removing old awning, installing new awning and three years warranty is $2471.19. I was thinking about installing myself but they do it for $197.00 and $45.00 to remove old awning. Anyone want to buy a used awning in like new condition?

Ken

Last edited:

Tom of Ypsi

Ken,
I sure wish the awning would fit on the slide of my Mt. Rushmore. I want to put an awning there but Camping World would not install one. Eventually I may get one.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Tom of Ypsi said:
Ken,
I sure wish the awning would fit on the slide of my Mt. Rushmore. I want to put an awning there but Camping World would not install one. Eventually I may get one.
Tom, I did not have the electric awning installed on my door side slide out, but my dealer did install a manual awning on my slide out. They checked with Heartland and found that it could be done. I previously posted some pictures of my awning on the site.

Tom of Ypsi

Terry
I saw your awning and like the idea but I am thinking the the awnings that come on the coach will be too big for the slide. I think the awning is 14 or 16 feet and the slide is only 12 foot. What size awning did you put on your slide?

trdeal

Tom of Ypsi said:
Terry
I saw your awning and like the idea but I am thinking the the awnings that come on the coach will be too big for the slide. I think the awning is 14 or 16 feet and the slide is only 12 foot. What size awning did you put on your slide?
Tom my awning is an AE awning and is around 11 ft. long. It matches my main awning perfectly.

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
Did you take a picture of the awnings at Ocean Lakes? I want to see it with both of them out.

Ken

trdeal

Ken Washington said:
Terry,
Did you take a picture of the awnings at Ocean Lakes? I want to see it with both of them out.

Ken
Yes I did ,but the picture at the beach was with both awnings in. The Mobile Suites was on the front row next to the ocean. We had a storm the night before and the owner had not put the awnings back out when we made the pictures. I will be glad to pull out both of my awnings and take a picture and post if you would like for me to.

Tom of Ypsi

Terry,

When you get a chance I would appreciate seeing the pictures with both awnings out. Maybe if there is enough interest Heartland will make the slide awning an option for future owners.

trdeal

Tom of Ypsi said:
Terry,

When you get a chance I would appreciate seeing the pictures with both awnings out. Maybe if there is enough interest Heartland will make the slide awning an option for future owners.
I will be glad to post some pictures. I will post the pictures with the awnings both out and in.

K

Ken Washington

Thinking about saving a little labor and taking my old awning off myself. Does anyone know the correct way to remove the awning from the trailer? I think that you would extend the awning and lock the spring in place. Then remove the arms and next slide the awning off the trailer. I know that I can do this but I want to do it right and hope to sell it.

Ken

trdeal

Ken Washington said:
Thinking about saving a little labor and taking my old awning off myself. Does anyone know the correct way to remove the awning from the trailer? I think that you would extend the awning and lock the spring in place. Then remove the arms and next slide the awning off the trailer. I know that I can do this but I want to do it right and hope to sell it.

Ken
Have never taken one off,but I did help to put one back on.The arms were still attached to the tube. Just slide the awning back into its track and fastened the arms to the trailer. Remember, the arms are spring loaded at the tube,so if you take them loose from the tube be careful.